Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Psionics in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

the psychotic seaotter
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  06:42:02  Show Profile  Visit the psychotic seaotter's Homepage Send the psychotic seaotter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by the psychotic seaotter

I just wanted to point out that Page 6 of Forgotten Realms Adventures removes Psionics from FR. Yes I know that was 2e but at one point they officially did not exist in FR.

They removed them because at that point, there were no rules for psionics in AD&D. Psionics slid back into the Realms after the 2E Complete Psionics Handbook came out.

This may be so but it does proove Psionics has had a 'there, not there" history in the realms.

Run run as fast as you can you can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man...

The Arcane Brotherhood, Wizards of the Sword Coast.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  15:58:11  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
During the Time of Troubles, the Invisible Art was unaffected. Psion House Oblodra, seized upon the weakness of Lloth's priests and gained power in Menzoberranzan, for a time. Upon the conclusion of the godswar however, House Oblodra lost their psionic connection. The tables were turned. The priests of Lloth lead by Matron Baenre, sacked House Oblodra, assassinating most within.

During this time, Psionics still existed in the Realms, only changed. Psions merely needed to explore a new path to tap the Invisible Art. Illithids as race, for example, were very quick in reestablishing the link. Other races took weeks or months before their Psions were once again able to harness their inner weave.

Salvatore explained this phenomenon very nicely in his novel Siege of Darkness.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Nahalil
Acolyte

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  19:48:10  Show Profile  Visit Nahalil's Homepage Send Nahalil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
put me in for monsters yes pcs very very rarely.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  23:13:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well sports fans

LEOF certainly brings Psionics back and gives them a bit of History in th Realms

The Nation of Jhaamdath was founded by Psionic users and was actually run as Psiocracy until the Bladelords where overthrown by the Emperor

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2005 :  01:10:18  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted yes, mainly to keep the original psionic natures of creatures that possessed the Invisible Art intact. The inclusion of MACs and MTHAC0s in 2e also sealed the deal for me. All psionic FR creatures are unique and fresh again imo.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2005 :  03:08:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Well sports fans

LEOF certainly brings Psionics back and gives them a bit of History in th Realms

The Nation of Jhaamdath was founded by Psionic users and was actually run as Psiocracy until the Bladelords where overthrown by the Emperor

Really? That's quite interesting... Dang, I wish the book would hurry up and come out over here!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2005 :  05:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted yes...actually reading about psionics in a novel--Venom's Taste--increased my interest in it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  22:07:06  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never had a character that used them because I didn't like them.I always liked wizards,and thieves.But fellow players have used them,and to be honest I still didn't like them.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2005 :  00:19:27  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well, if you believe in the comic book theory of 'retroactive continuity' the upcoming "Lost Empires of Faerun" sourcebook will give you psionics in the Realms from along time ago, thus providing historical substance to its 'existence'.

-- George Krashos

I got the idea (from LE) that while psionics was heavily used in certain places and at certain times, it just never expanded much beyond them. (Probably a combo of desire to avoid competition & simple wariness on the part of others -- "They've got powers like the Mind Flayers and Yuan Ti. Now, I'm not saying that they really ARE Flayers or serpentfolk, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised...")

Add in what happened to the Jhaamdath Psilords, and it's no wonder most surface races aren't very fond of psionics.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  18:46:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never had many players that really wanted to play a psionic character (even when we were playing Dark Sun!) but I have always "included" them becuase certain iconic monsters such as Aboleth and Illithids just don't seem the same when you warp their powers into spell like ablities. Psionics helps to make them more alien.
Go to Top of Page

Kiralari
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  02:12:05  Show Profile  Visit Kiralari's Homepage Send Kiralari a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really had to vote yes here, but I do agree that I don't like the flashyness and showman quality that it's been given. I don't really like calling it Psionics either, since that does indeed seem to lean toward a scientific view of it in a way. I prefer to think of it as a special class of sorcerer or wizard. And as such, I let my gamers have free choice of it, with a few DM mod's a course. I tone down the flashyness, I balance out the powers for combat/non-combat, and I make the gamer come up with a good story for why his/her character is a psionicist. I do, however, totally approve of psionic creatures like the illithid, since it was used already as an example.
Cheers Everyone!

Always be prepared. If it rains, be prepared. If a bear chases you, be prepared. If you get attacked by drunken Hoosiers, be prepared.
~~Love Ya!
~~Ann
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  20:21:58  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Psionics have been in campains I have both played in and run.
In games I run, if a player wants to be a psionicist, they can be one, but they have to roll randomly from a list of powers I choose.
It was difficult to manage in 2nd ed, but in 3.x psionics are much easier to understand and control. I personally like the idea of psionic magic items, they are cool.
I have no problem with any person becoming a psionic character any more. The rules work out pretty well, but I still would restrict who could use them and what powers they were able to obtain. Some player/GM negotiations here.
It definitely changes the mood of the game to have a player with psionics. It is such a rare power in the realms that people often don't know how to react to a psionicist.
"Stay out of my head you freak!" But if the GM is careful, and the player isn't one to try to abuse the powers it can lend a distinct spice to your game. The powers that the psions have can be quite unique, and if used properly they are great fun!

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Thente Thunderspells
Seeker

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  18:02:49  Show Profile Send Thente Thunderspells a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I as a player love psionics, my problem is finding a DM who is willing to use it, especially in the Realms. Most DM's i've encountered don't like the system so they wont' include it...sigh.

As for the flashy/whistles and bells mentioned on page one, i've always hated that as well. I thought it would be a good idea if those effects where on the "mental realm". So if you're psionic you could see/hear those effects, but non-psionicists couldn't at all.

It would make a cool way to introduce a psionic/wild talent character or even to give the character a wild talent. Then make them do in game research to figure out what is "wrong" with their character

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
- Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  18:13:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thente ThunderspellsIt would make a cool way to introduce a psionic/wild talent character or even to give the character a wild talent. Then make them do in game research to figure out what is "wrong" with their character

The "problem" with the new wild talents is that it takes at least 2 feats to get one talent. You need the wild talent feat and then another feat on top of that to just get the talent itself. And the talent's bite compared to the old wild talents. :)

Of course you can chuck that out and change it, which is what I did because I hate that you have to spend two feats.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 13 May 2005 18:14:55
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  19:02:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thente Thunderspells

I as a player love psionics, my problem is finding a DM who is willing to use it, especially in the Realms. Most DM's i've encountered don't like the system so they wont' include it...sigh.

That's unfortunate. As previously mentioned, I've never been passioante about psionics. But, if a player approached me with a desire to incorporate psionics into her/his character, I'd work with the player to get this desire into the game.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  02:48:26  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excuse me, so since mind flayers are known to be versed in psionics, there are other non-illithid individuals who also possess psionic abilities. Are such abilities considered innate magics that are non reliant on the Weave?

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  20:06:57  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes because my character Sadie grew up around them and knows how to use them. And the DM's I've played with allow it. (Though I've only had three DM's).

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  20:13:00  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very interested in Psionics as a class and a style of 'magic' the biggest single stumbling block I encounter is it's another book to have to buy.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  02:21:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Forge

I'm very interested in Psionics as a class and a style of 'magic' the biggest single stumbling block I encounter is it's another book to have to buy.
Then consider the stumbling block no more! Try this:- http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/Psionics.zip

It is WotC's System Reference Document (SRD) pertaining to all the 3.5e psionics rules from the XPsiHB.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  13:13:59  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But, IMO, the Expanded Psionics Handbooks is one of the best 3.5 books that we have, and I´m very happy to have my copy

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  17:07:39  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I definitely have psionics. It spices up the game. I mean, right now, I'm running a quest with my mom (yes, my mom plays DnD) where I'm DMing and she's looking for the answer to what a bunch of crystals she plucked off an Illithid do. (They're all the same size, and one each for each color of the rainbow). Well, they're the components to a psionic artifact.

However I keep psionics very rare. I like psionics to be something that, even in DnD, players find very mysterious. If it weren't rare, it wouldn't be as mysterious and fun to use.

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  17:17:44  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*shrug* Looking over it, it's just a different magic system. Points instead of spell slots. Heck, they even have their own Psionic familiar.

Oh, and Half-giants as a Psionic race?? what's with THAT?
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  22:32:59  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

For characters, then no. However, creatures with psionic abilities are a different story... what is an illithid without these powers? Therefore, I would have to vote yes.

I must agree with Alaundo. I would not like characters who use psionics, but it suits some magical creatures.
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  22:43:28  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Excuse me, so since mind flayers are known to be versed in psionics, there are other non-illithid individuals who also possess psionic abilities. Are such abilities considered innate magics that are non reliant on the Weave?

Hmm..Intresting question. I cannot answer. Copy psionics handbook from that Sages link(thank you) and try to find it from there.
Or is here someone who can answer this?
(there's always someone..)
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  04:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noticed in the more recent novels and books that Psionics seems to be more prevelent in the Realms these days and I'm glad that is so.

I've always been a suporter of Psionics and was soooo tired of how everybody loved to bash Psionics as the "broken" magic system. I hope to see more of it in the official Realms stuff!

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  12:38:13  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

IMO, the Wizards that Dwell on the Coast are trying the market, to see if Athasian things don´t lost his appeal.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 07 Jul 2005 12:39:57
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  17:14:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

quote:

IMO, the Wizards that Dwell on the Coast are trying the market, to see if Athasian things don´t lost his appeal.

I think it was more of a token nod at a defunct setting.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

magnakanus
Acolyte

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  18:05:15  Show Profile  Visit magnakanus's Homepage Send magnakanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I am the only person here that felt almost heartbroken reading all the negative oppinions on psionics. As I love to try everything out at least once no matter how good or bad as it goes with RPG I DM'ed a few Darksun campaigns and dug right into the psionics thing as it came out in 2ed. Granted that psionics is not the typical fireball and magic missile kinda backup every party is expecting psionics are kind of the "rogue" of magic. A psionacist cant throw a fireball into the masses, but a good bout of psionic blast can ruin the day of about any opponant. The silent art, or the invisible art can't be used like the sorcerer/artilery cannon. He requires creativity and planing. I liked the idea of psionics being separated from magic and do not view them as being too sci-fi just because like skywalker was the first public psionacist. As stated before, the arts of the mind were once considered a part of magic, like everything once was. Magic was the word for things that you could not explain otherwise.
Yet 3ed did mess up the whole psionics thing with their first suplement where you had to have a stat for every second talent which was thankfuly improved in the extended book. I much more prefer the 2ed rules where psionics were not so linear and structured like every other spell, 3ed took a bit of the flavor away and did attach bells, whistles and neon sighns. Yet I still love psionics and believe them a part of the whole flavor of fantasy and magic and could not concieve of a campaign without at least a little of the silent art, probably because they are so rare and unknown. After a while you can't surprise the party with your average sorcerer/mage/priest, etc.

All good things come to those who wait...
Go to Top of Page

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  18:13:47  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I as a DM am wary of psionics, but that's not to say that Psionics itself is bad. The offensive defensive crap in 3.0 made it too much of a pain (that and having some psions rely on strength and consitution). The thing about psionics is that if put in the hands of the right player, a DM may find that NPCs that would otherwise be challenging opponents are dealt with almost instantaneously, especially at higher levels. A DM should give out psionics as one might give out certain races and templates: sparringly. However, psionic NPCs tend to add flavor to everything. Usually I'll count Magic Resistance and Power resistance as the same, because otherwise it just gets messy.

"At what temperature does a Goblin boil?"
"Any Rakshasa should eat a healthy diet that is high in wood elf, and low in shield Dwarf. One must always watch those cholesterol levels."
"If a Svirfneblin falls in the underdark, does anybody care?"
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  21:32:38  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Luther Cromwell

, but that's not to say that Psionics itself is bad.

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Luther Cromwell
The offensive defensive crap in 3.0 made it too much of a pain (that and having some psions rely on strength and consitution).

Yes i wouldn't like to use psionics as my character's magic, BUT I don't say that psionics are bad idea for your character's profession.

I haven't read all of the rules of 3.0 so This can sound a bit noob-like but:
Could you tell more of that second quote. My opinion is that psionics 'attribute' is intelligence(if I understand properly; you say it isn't?). Read Siege of Darkness, pages about 167-169(When kyorl stands in tower and tries to get her psionics to use)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000