Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Psionics in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  18:40:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

The fact the rules are so separate has never really appealed to me either.

I think that that right there has long been a part of the problem. Psionics have never been integrated into D&D, with the exception of Dark Sun. Everywhere else, it's been a bolt-on, and one that didn't fit well because it wasn't integrated from the start.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  19:21:09  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not use it in my campaigns. The only time it comes into play are with monsters that use it. If one of my players really wanted to do one, I would probably ask the consensus of the rest of the group first.

EK
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  00:46:46  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

I think the reason why you don't like psionics in FR is partially because they have no history within the Realms...

Actually, psionics has been in the Realms since 1E, it's just never been all that prominent... For example, in the Old Grey Box, it mentions that Illistyl Elventree has some psionic powers. I seem to recall Elminster having some psionic ability, too, though that was dropped in later editions.

And some characters in 2E has psionics, too. The most notable example, which was in fiction as well as the Menzoberranzan boxed set, was House Obladra. I believe that there's a thief in Waterdeep with a couple psionic wild talents, as well.

I know, I know... but the Obladra case was the exception. As for Elminster having psionic points, I believe I read somewhere (from Ed methinks) that all heroes and villains, at one point, were "fitted" with psionic point reserves because someone at the time had the not so great idea to give psionics to all demons and devils... At the time, psionics were so fundamentally different than magic that all those big NPCs needed psionic points in order to survive (something about psionic users able to do 10 rounds of actions within a regular fighting round -- in 1E, a round was one minute, not 6 seconds, so a fighter or mage could do one attack or cast one spell in ONE MINUTE, whereas psionic folks could activate 10 POWERS PER MINUTE, giving them a huge advantage over non-psionics, hence the inclusion of psionic points to major NPCs... this way, a 5th-level psion or a lesser demon couldn't kick Elminster's ass in a single round... )

In short, the Obladras were the only "true" FR psionic history known to me, prior to the coming of 3E. Other than that, psionics did NOT have any history within the Realms (I don't consider the 1E inclusion of psionic powers to Elminster and friends a valid historical marker of psionics within the Realms - those were merely game adaptations to rectify a flawed psionics system)

Now in 3E, we have all the psionic groups described in the PGtoF. This is, IMHO, the true beginning of psionics within the Realms. Institutions and power groups using the Invisible Art: now that's a suitable entrance for psionics within the Realms! From these one could now write novels, sourcebooks, etc. and develop the whole concept of psionics within the Realms. Psionic powers are not a minor advantage in a society dominated by magic, and many power groups will eventually react to counter the threat posed by psionics, whether good or evil...
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  02:06:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not all that impressed with the changes to Psionics that makes it a class as oposed to an ability that any class might have access to (though was not impressed with certain clases even with same stats had different power levels). he only good thing about 3.5 Psionics I see is treat like magc, at least accoding to the SED overview. Prior Editions had effects that were not treated as magic, no saves type of thing.

As for being in the Realms as more common it certainly might become a distracrion however the apparent nerfing might make them a little easier to live with. I do like the concept and do certainly do see a place for it in a Medeival setting, just have not seen a tasty aplication of the concept yet in game terms.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 12 Dec 2004 03:04:25
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  02:42:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to point out that Illithad's and Alhoon's have always been Psionic. :)

Also there is a psionist in Skullport in the City of Splendors box set who is 14th level.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  03:06:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

I want to point out that Illithad's and Alhoon's have always been Psionic. :)

Also there is a psionist in Skullport in the City of Splendors box set who is 14th level.

It sometimes helps to know whom is being replied to.

As for those mind benders yes they have been around for a long time, death to all of them that do not serve me. ;-)

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  04:33:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
It sometimes helps to know whom is being replied to.

As for those mind benders yes they have been around for a long time, death to all of them that do not serve me. ;-)

Was replying to everyone, hence the no quoting. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  05:30:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In short, the Obladras were the only "true" FR psionic history known to me, prior to the coming of 3E. Other than that, psionics did NOT have any history within the Realms (I don't consider the 1E inclusion of psionic powers to Elminster and friends a valid historical marker of psionics within the Realms - those were merely game adaptations to rectify a flawed psionics system)

Even the fact it was part of the back story for one of the Knights of Myth Drannor? That doesn't count as being in the history?

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  09:45:36  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Even the fact it was part of the back story for one of the Knights of Myth Drannor? That doesn't count as being in the history?

I am not aware of the back story of the Knights of Myth Drannor... I must have missed that book (I have not read several of the older FR books out there, alas, so forgive me: could you shed some light of the Knight in question and tell us how he came to acquire psionic powers? his mentor/teachers, etc?)

Regardless of the exact way in which this Knight became a psionic, with all due respect to our beloved Ed, I will view this psionics historical milestone with cynicism IF it does not involve some kind of institutional/formal training (i.e. if the said Knight just "got" powers, due to his "very special bloodline" or through "a gift from a god/goddess", then I will treat this as an aberration, not history)

Look at the PGtoF. It clearly shows organizations that contain psionic members and promote/spread the use of this Invisible Art... yes, there could have been "individuals" who used psionics before 3E, but now, you actually have "groups" of people using it... together... supporting each other... recruiting new members... thus, relevant historical "psionic activity"...
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  11:57:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, if you believe in the comic book theory of 'retroactive continuity' the upcoming "Lost Empires of Faerun" sourcebook will give you psionics in the Realms from along time ago, thus providing historical substance to its 'existence'.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  13:29:42  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Well, if you believe in the comic book theory of 'retroactive continuity' the upcoming "Lost Empires of Faerun" sourcebook will give you psionics in the Realms from along time ago, thus providing historical substance to its 'existence'.

-- George Krashos

Hmm... I would have much preferred something along the lines of a "new era punctuated by the dawning of the Invisible Art," previously accessed only through godly gifts and through natural flukes in species breeding, but now fully organized and determined to carve itself a place within Faerun...

But no... I'm guessing that explaining psionics through some ancient, previously forgotten but now rediscovered history trivia bit would make much, much more sense!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  14:24:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am not aware of the back story of the Knights of Myth Drannor... I must have missed that book (I have not read several of the older FR books out there, alas, so forgive me: could you shed some light of the Knight in question and tell us how he came to acquire psionic powers? his mentor/teachers, etc?)

Page 24 of the DM's Sourcebook of the Realms, for the venerable Old Grey Box, under the entry for Illistyl Elventree:

Illistyl was born in Shadowdale, where she was discovered to have psionic powers by Lord Doust and his companions. Seeking to safeguard control this dangerous asset of the dale, Doust took Illistyl to live in the Tower of Ashaba, where she proved to be calm in a fight and have an aptitude for the magical arts.

There's a bit more, but that's the important part.

quote:

But no... I'm guessing that explaining psionics through some ancient, previously forgotten but now rediscovered history trivia bit would make much, much more sense!

It would be great if they gave us an explanation like that, but thus far, WotC has only been willing to offer lame explanations, if any, for the retcons.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  18:23:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again I point out that Psionics have always existed in FR and Ed had made a few replies about them in his huge thread. Or you can download my file and do a FIND for psionics.

Mostly as wild talents though.

And yes I use psionics because they have always been a part of FR.

Edited by - Kuje on 12 Dec 2004 18:32:46
Go to Top of Page

the psychotic seaotter
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  18:29:40  Show Profile  Visit the psychotic seaotter's Homepage Send the psychotic seaotter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ummm I just want to point out that the question was "do you use Psionics' Not 'do they exist on toril'

Run run as fast as you can you can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man...

The Arcane Brotherhood, Wizards of the Sword Coast.

Edited by - the psychotic seaotter on 12 Dec 2004 18:32:20
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  19:10:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As for Elminster having psionic points, I believe I read somewhere (from Ed methinks) that all heroes and villains, at one point, were "fitted" with psionic point reserves because someone at the time had the not so great idea to give psionics to all demons and devils...
Elminster having psionics is one of many cases of characters (PCs and NPCs alike) having strange, secret abilities in reserve -- a feature of the setting ill-treated by purportedly exhaustive 3E stat blocks. Demons and devils were psionic from their introduction in the Monster Manual in 1977, but that's not why Elminster is. There are several other known psionic individuals in the Realms.
quote:
Oh man. The Realms has no single central story, but if it did, it would be the story of the Knights of Myth Drannor. See FR7 Hall of Heroes for now, and Ed's forthcoming Knights novels from 2006.
quote:
Ummm I just want to point out that the question was "do you use Psionics' Not 'do they exist on toril'
Some have said they don't use the Invisible Art because it's not rooted in the Realms, which asks for refuting.

Edited by - Faraer on 12 Dec 2004 19:14:00
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  22:05:03  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look guys: I am not trying to make a case that psionics did not exist prior to the PGtoF. I am just trying to illustrate that so far, psionics have not had a substantial part to play within the grand theatre that is the Realms...

You'll have to admit that anything that has been done so far (perhaps to the exception of the Oblodras), had had the feel that it had been "slapped on top of the regular Realms" in some remote attempt to cater to the GAME, not the setting... (i.e. psionics existed in GAME products, so the authors created a psion here and there, just for the sake of change/coolness or to kill boredom...)

Perhaps I am wrong; perhaps there has been a master plan for the psions since the Old Grey Box... however, I highly doubt it, and this is the point I'm trying to make here: PGtoF is the first product giving us some substantial info on Realms' psionics.

This is why I was trying to illustrate that until it is institutionalized, it doesn't truly exist HISTORICALLY... I mean, take wizards for example: they have built mageocracies, empires, etc. They have had long-standing institutions all over the Realms (almost every town has its wizard's tower...) Now what about the psionics? do they just grow on trees? who trains them? do they inherit their powers from their bloodlines? (i.e. a la sorcerer?) All I'm trying to illustrate here is that, IMHO, there has not been any substantial development done on the psionics so far (for the Realms)

Can psionics be learned, or do they have to be inherited?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  22:59:13  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

to the GAME, not the setting... (i.e. psionics existed in GAME

institutionalized, it doesn't truly exist HISTORICALLY...

All I'm trying to illustrate here is that, IMHO, there has not been any substantial development done on the psionics so far (for the Realms)

Can psionics be learned, or do they have to be inherited?

Please do not shout.

FR is a mysterious and still greatly unexplored world. There are ancient magics that still are not completely understood. As soon as FR used any psionic creature that did become part of the history. Psionics certainly have been around for a long time, though not sure when it was first put into print. As somebody inficated the mindflayers had the ability.

As for learned or inherited I would perfer the later, however D&D does not do genetics well if at all, nor have I seen much difference in FR. 3.x certainly appears to indicate that psionics can can be learned (take one or more of the three classes) in prior editions one was born with the ability, however also could aquire the ability (though not via a school) as part of learning how to survive.

I do not like any of the game versions on how they handle all asspects of Psionics I could take bits and pieces and make something I like, that most likely many others will not like.

That said the merits of any of the versions was not the intent of this thread, nor was a discussion about if FR should have it. It does have it, if you do not like it home rule it.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  23:07:15  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the record, I never shout online... I only use caps letters because I am... well... a little too lazy to use the bold font on important words.
Go to Top of Page

the psychotic seaotter
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  23:25:46  Show Profile  Visit the psychotic seaotter's Homepage Send the psychotic seaotter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You'll have to admit that anything that has been done so far (perhaps to the exception of the Oblodras), had had the feel that it had been "slapped on top of the regular Realms" in some remote attempt to cater to the GAME, not the setting... (i.e. psionics existed in GAME products, so the authors created a psion here and there, just for the sake of change/coolness or to kill boredom...)

I have had the feeling that 2e and 3e has done alot of this and there is eveidence to support that. That is why as far as I am concerned supposed histories and canons should be considered apocryphal and true only if the DM wills it to be so.

In other words, you as the DM decides the tru history of your game. And anything said by designers and even Ed must pass the DM test first. (though Ed would suoercede designers)

It's the only way to keep three editions worth of 'history' and suggestions straight as well as the number of things that were canon but are now not or things that were made canon that conflicts with the official timeline.

Consider it like real life history we think we know more than we really do and due to poor records and bad conjecture by hitorians there are conflicts and the truth is what you finally belive.

So since Psionics seem to have a 'kind of' existance in the realms it would be best to consider it 1) Rare 2) genetic and 3) more rumor than truth.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2004 :  00:10:14  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Except for the duergar and other monster races, the Invisible Art is a rare (see below), spontaneous, usually untrained, poorly understood talent, which I'm sure Ed could detail further. I don't see why you think the psionic NPCs are a rules artefact, or only has a 'kind of' existence, or why institutionalized psionics would be a more real part of the setting than occasional psionics.

Kentinal is right to point out that the details of the Invisible Art in the Realms were left somewhat open because it is relatively unknown and mysterious, like spellfire, which only got game-rules because Ed was asked for them.

The 3E implication that you can choose to become psionic *is* a rules artifact, not Realmslore.

Needless to say, this doesn't mean your campaign must have psionics, any more than it must have Besert.
quote:
>There are a few itinerant teachers, but SFIAA the Realms is now tending
towards
>a standard-incidence psionics setting, in which psionicist are about as
common
>as whichever mage speciality is most common. As psionicists are more
randomly
>distributed than wizards, there is no present potential for any college of
the
>mind. Psionicists are generally regarded as being another kind of magic-user.

This is a good analogy--psionicists as a nonstandard mage type--since that's how many commoners of the Realms perceive them. However, they are far more rare than any specialist mage, especially given the magic-heavy nature of the Realms. In all, I'd venture to guess that unofficially there might be anywhere from 25 to 200 people across all of known Toril (that Kara-Tur, Zakhara, and Maztica as well) that have standard psionics.

Elminster most likely still has his psionic wild talents, as do a number of other NPCS. Lord Ryvvik Dlardrageth (see #9562 Hellgate Keep) is a recent revelation and he is undoubtedly among the more powerful psis currently on Toril. As for the others, I'll leave it for y'all to discuss and divulge.

Now, bear in mind that the above guesstimates leave out the illithids, the lythlynx, the intellect devourers, and the other psi-sensitive monsters. All of these gain psionic powers as a natural, innate ability of their race or from "odd, deviant, or alien magics not usable within the standard means" (quote from FR Adventures). Any PC psionicists are generally deviations from their racial norms and are among the ultra-rare numbers. The only "special" innate magic type that is more rare than psionics is Spellfire, as only one person in a generation gains this power, IIRC.

Steven Schend
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2004 :  00:22:50  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't know whether the Realms had psionics, or something like it, pre-D&D. I can easily imagine either case. Their existence is not fundamental to the Realms as is, for instance, the existence of rogues, magic, or weather. It is presumably as much part of the Realms, though, as are hobgoblins, or Tenser's floating disc, or drow, or other elements imported from D&D.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2004 :  00:36:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I don't know whether the Realms had psionics, or something like it, pre-D&D. I can easily imagine either case. Their existence is not fundamental to the Realms as is, for instance, the existence of rogues, magic, or weather. It is presumably as much part of the Realms, though, as are hobgoblins, or Tenser's floating disc, or drow, or other elements imported from D&D.

Well, there's an easy way to find out...

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2004 :  02:51:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hmm... I would have much preferred something along the lines of a "new era punctuated by the dawning of the Invisible Art," previously accessed only through godly gifts and through natural flukes in species breeding, but now fully organized and determined to carve itself a place within Faerun...

What you prefer is exactly that. Just because the Realms in its 17 years of products and novels hasn't developed an aspect of the D&D game as you'd "prefer" is not something for you to be rolling your eyes at. Creativity is an individual thing and you are dealing with lots of gamers and designers whose creative decisions don't obviously gel with yours. No doubt they'd at some of the stuff you've done over the years.

Oh, and for more psionic backstory, see "Secrets of the Magister", p.64.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2004 :  04:30:15  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

What you prefer is exactly that. Just because the Realms in its 17 years of products and novels hasn't developed an aspect of the D&D game as you'd "prefer" is not something for you to be rolling your eyes at. Creativity is an individual thing and you are dealing with lots of gamers and designers whose creative decisions don't obviously gel with yours. No doubt they'd at some of the stuff you've done over the years.

Oh, and for more psionic backstory, see "Secrets of the Magister", p.64.

-- George Krashos

Creativity? pardon me, but I must again

I have an immense respect for all FR designers, but when it comes to psionics in the Realms, sorry, I can't help but thinking about the accountants behind the scheme... either develop a good story behind it, or leave 'em out of the Realms. As I've said many times in this thread already, this is all IMHO (In My Humble Opinion), so please don't take it as an attack on the designers, and please don't attack me personally for having this opinion. Thank you.

Also, thank you for the "Secrets of the Magister" reference.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2004 :  18:00:41  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To answer the original question, yes we have been using it since the orginal box set came out many years ago.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2004 :  20:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

To answer the original question, yes we have been using it since the orginal box set came out many years ago.

To what extent then has it effected your campaigns good or bad?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  18:53:43  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't have a problem at all with psionics in the Realms, as long as we don't call them 'psionics'!

As Faraer mentioned, the "Invisible Art" seems a much more Realmsian description and fit. I'd say that the Realms are due for a psionics boost and the bedrock for psionic characters, at least from an ancestry/historical point of view, might not be far away at all.

-- George Krashos

For some reason, this bounced back forward in my brain this morning, and some book titles from the Realms provide some sense of history for this.....

Seven Invisibile (copy at Candlekeep; 1 of 7 copies)
written c.1300 DR by Argathual of Suzail
Re: seven historical figures (Varath the Everseeing, Erris of Tempath, Whyrrill Donnsler of Ravens' Bluff, Gaastul Three-Eyes, Prince Nasrull of Impiltur, Xyrr of Trailsend, and Gavain the Seer of Palischuk) and their use of the Invisible Art in Cormyr and lands north of the Inner Sea (the Vast, Impiltur)

To See without Eyes (original ms in Candlekeep; 4 copies)
written c.1212 DR by Siallor the Sorcerer
re: descriptions of psionic sight/clairvoyance/psychometrics; author was a sorcerer who lost his eyes in battle with Banites and his lover, a worker of the Invisible Art, gave him a new type of eyes through her power.

The Invisibilicum
written c. 1358 DR by Bharakas of Deepingdale, a former adventurer and scholar and acolyte/worshiper of Oghma
Collated lore of 400 years of rumors and myths about psionics and the Invisible Art covering 800-1200 DR; allegedly a scribe (and former apprentice of Bharakas) in Yhaunn works away on a second volume to cover the years since then.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  23:03:55  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elf_Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

To what extent then has it effected your campaigns good or bad?

It really depends on the Player, the last psionic character was very good and effected the campaign in positive ways. We all laughed and cried because of that certain drunken halfing.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

the psychotic seaotter
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  17:26:54  Show Profile  Visit the psychotic seaotter's Homepage Send the psychotic seaotter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to point out that Page 6 of Forgotten Realms Adventures removes Psionics from FR. Yes I know that was 2e but at one point they officially did not exist in FR.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  00:44:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the psychotic seaotter

I just wanted to point out that Page 6 of Forgotten Realms Adventures removes Psionics from FR. Yes I know that was 2e but at one point they officially did not exist in FR.

They removed them because at that point, there were no rules for psionics in AD&D. Psionics slid back into the Realms after the 2E Complete Psionics Handbook came out.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000