Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ghauropers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arthan "Heavy Fist"
Acolyte

0 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2004 :  07:44:56  Show Profile  Visit Arthan Send Arthan  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm unable to find stats for the Ghauropers mentioned in Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark, pg 66, left column, 2nd paragraph.

If anyone has information or 3.5 stats, it would be greatly appreciated.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  15:08:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 2e, as I recall, ghauropers have at least 15 Hit Dice and many unique magical abilities. I cannot remember those unique abilities though. It might be best to just create something fresh, and since the creature doesn't appear to have received any 3e treatment either (such as in Monsters of Faerun) you're pretty much free to do as you please. It should be fairly easy, you've already got some idea with the hit dice, and those abilities will obviously be ooze and slime -oriented.

Go with the ooze I say...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  15:12:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, you might want to look into the stats and abilities for the deity of oozes other servant, the ghaunadan. There's a few interesting abilities to start with from these creatures...

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Oct 2004 05:58:55
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  17:57:13  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take one roper. Add one ghaunadan. Stir. Bake very, very well.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  06:00:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Take one roper. Add one ghaunadan. Stir. Bake very, very well.

--Eric

At what temperature would you suggest though, Sir Eric? We are talking about ooze after all...

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  07:59:40  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't matter it will still taste like bark and have the consistency of rubber

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  14:05:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer cardboard actually. It has more more fibre...

Now, to keep this scroll on-topic... Where the ghauropers ever mentioned in any other 2e tome, possibly on the Underdark?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  18:01:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Now, to keep this scroll on-topic... Where the ghauropers ever mentioned in any other 2e tome, possibly on the Underdark?

Demihuman Deities mentions them in passing as well...

Now does anyone know of the actually stats from 1e or 2e, as the poster asked!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  06:54:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Now does anyone know of the actually stats from 1e or 2e, as the poster asked!

No.

They are mentioned in passing in the 2e MotP, but it is only a reference to creatures which may exist on the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Ooze.

Other than that, and the details Arthan mentioned above, I've found no other references to ghauropers in any of the 1st or 2nd edition material that I have access to.

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Oct 2004 06:56:09
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  02:39:16  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might have statted one up in Dungeon of the Hark (good luck finding that obscure little adventure), but I don't recall offhand. Otherwise I made them up in Demihuman Deities and mentioned them in DDGttU and that was that.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  02:51:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I might have statted one up in Dungeon of the Hark (good luck finding that obscure little adventure)...
I have a copy here in fact. Although, now I have to look for it...

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  02:55:12  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I felt lame giving a reference to a product that only 3 people in the world probably own.

Straight from "Dungeon of the Hark", copyright Wizards of the Coast, the ghauroper in all its 2e glory ...

Ghauroper: THACO 5; #AT 1; Dmg 5d6; AC -2; HD 15; HP 70; MV 4; SA strands, strength drain; SD various immunities; MR 80%; SZ H (15' long); INT supra-genius; AL CE; ML fanatic (18); XP 18,000; Monstrous Manual variant.

Notes: Ghauropers are a more powerful variant of roper, imbued with the unholy energies of Ghaunadaur and formed by the god from a human or demihuman worshiper. Ghauropers retain their wizard or priest spell-casting abilities if they posessed such skills in their former forms, but employing such abilities requires a great deal of concentration and numerous attempts, requiring the formation of human-like hands and mouths from the malleable bulk to shape somatic and verbal components. As such, spellcasting is effectively impossible in combat situations and only used sparingly in any case. All ghauropers exhibit the ability to eat living or recently slain humanoid creaturs and then exude a ghaunadan capable of passing as the ingested creatures [sic] twin. (If the creature ingested has multiple human forms, such as many lycanthropes, then the ghaunadan can assume the alternate humanoid forms as well.) When a ghauroper choose to "bud" a ghaunadan, the process takes roughly twenty-four hours on average and weakens the ghauroper by 1d8 points of damage that must be healed naturally. Ghauropers can communicate with any amorphous creature and can command them to remain in a specific location until attacked or direct them to attack a specific opponent.

SA -- Ghauropers attack by shooting strong, sticky strands at opponents. The [sic] can shoot a total of eight strands, one per round, as far as 70 feet; each strand can extend (1d6+1)x10 feet and pull up to 1000 pounds. Each time a strand hits (requiring a normal attack roll), the victim must make a successful saving throw vs. poison with a penalty of -2 or lose half its Strength (round fractions down). Strenth loss occurs 1d2 rounds after a hit, is cumulative for multiple hits, and lasts for 3d4 turns. If a ghauroper's prey cannot break free, it is pulled 10 feet closer per round; when it reache sthe ghauropr, the creature bites the victim for 5d6 points of damage (automatic hit against a victim held by a strand). A strand can be pulled off or broken by a character who makes a successful open doors roll. A strand can also be cut; it is AC -2, and it must take at least 8 points of damage from a single hit of an edged weapon to be severed.

SD -- Ghauropers are unaffected by lightning and take only half damage from cold-based attacks. Opponents suffer a -2 penalty to surprise rolls when faced by a ghauroper.

SW -- Ghauropers have a -2 penalty to saving throws versus fire.

Enjoy,

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  03:22:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sir Eric .

To tell you the truth, I didn't exactly relish the idea of digging in that old pile of gaming books, looking for that Dungeon of the Hark adventure. There's spiders (and worse) in there...

- Appreciative Sage

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  06:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now, where's the third person? I know it's not me...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  07:07:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there's more than just three. Besides myself, I know two other gamers who have access to the adventure (whether they've used it, is another story)...

- Too literal Sage

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  07:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

OK, I felt lame giving a reference to a product that only 3 people in the world probably own.

Straight from "Dungeon of the Hark", copyright Wizards of the Coast, the ghauroper in all its 2e glory ...

Ghauroper: THACO 5; #AT 1; Dmg 5d6; AC -2; HD 15; HP 70; MV 4; SA strands, strength drain; SD various immunities; MR 80%; SZ H (15' long); INT supra-genius; AL CE; ML fanatic (18); XP 18,000; Monstrous Manual variant.

Notes: Ghauropers are a more powerful variant of roper, imbued with the unholy energies of Ghaunadaur and formed by the god from a human or demihuman worshiper. Ghauropers retain their wizard or priest spell-casting abilities if they posessed such skills in their former forms, but employing such abilities requires a great deal of concentration and numerous attempts, requiring the formation of human-like hands and mouths from the malleable bulk to shape somatic and verbal components. As such, spellcasting is effectively impossible in combat situations and only used sparingly in any case. All ghauropers exhibit the ability to eat living or recently slain humanoid creaturs and then exude a ghaunadan capable of passing as the ingested creatures [sic] twin. (If the creature ingested has multiple human forms, such as many lycanthropes, then the ghaunadan can assume the alternate humanoid forms as well.) When a ghauroper choose to "bud" a ghaunadan, the process takes roughly twenty-four hours on average and weakens the ghauroper by 1d8 points of damage that must be healed naturally. Ghauropers can communicate with any amorphous creature and can command them to remain in a specific location until attacked or direct them to attack a specific opponent.

SA -- Ghauropers attack by shooting strong, sticky strands at opponents. The [sic] can shoot a total of eight strands, one per round, as far as 70 feet; each strand can extend (1d6+1)x10 feet and pull up to 1000 pounds. Each time a strand hits (requiring a normal attack roll), the victim must make a successful saving throw vs. poison with a penalty of -2 or lose half its Strength (round fractions down). Strenth loss occurs 1d2 rounds after a hit, is cumulative for multiple hits, and lasts for 3d4 turns. If a ghauroper's prey cannot break free, it is pulled 10 feet closer per round; when it reache sthe ghauropr, the creature bites the victim for 5d6 points of damage (automatic hit against a victim held by a strand). A strand can be pulled off or broken by a character who makes a successful open doors roll. A strand can also be cut; it is AC -2, and it must take at least 8 points of damage from a single hit of an edged weapon to be severed.

SD -- Ghauropers are unaffected by lightning and take only half damage from cold-based attacks. Opponents suffer a -2 penalty to surprise rolls when faced by a ghauroper.

SW -- Ghauropers have a -2 penalty to saving throws versus fire.

Enjoy,

--Eric

*digs out a copy of the 3.5 MM*

So from this, we can derive that a ghauroper would be the following:
Advanced roper(16 HD, Huge)(CR 14)
Non-combat spellcasting(CR 14-not usable in combat, hence no CR modifier-see page 294 of the 3.5 MM)
Ghaunadan bud ability(CR 15-may have some effect on combat in the form of allies)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000