Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GENCON UK 2004!!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  15:55:26  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I'm so giddy im lost for words..... heres the announcement from the official GENCON site:

2004 Gen Con UK
Gen Con UK gets bigger and better in 2004
In Autumn 2004, Horsemen Events present Gen Con UK - "The Best Four Days in Gaming!" - at the Butlins resort in Minehead, England.

Running from Thursday, October 14th to Sunday, October 17th, Gen Con UK will have an extensive programme, including industry guests, role-play games, card game tournaments, board games, computer games, an art show and a huge trade hall. We will also be helping to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Dungeons and Dragons.

"The majority of gamers wanted a return to the halcyon years of gaming events - outside London and based in a popular holiday resort. With the Butlins resort near Bristol, we can have a bigger and better Gen Con UK, with the potential for growth in the future" says Mark Smith, Horsemen Events' charismatic front man.

Gen Con UK has been scheduled in the week prior to the Essen Spiel games fair, to help US and other non-UK manufacturers combine both events in a single trip.

The Butlins resort at Minehead offers attendees a wide variety of choices; in addition to a range of accommodation options (including self-catering and half board) and free car parking, attendees will also be able to use other on-site leisure facilities, including the giant sub-tropical Waterworld (with water rides and wave machines), cinema, sports courts, Go-carts and a Megazone. The site also has a wide range of food and drink outlets, ranging from fast-food (such as Burger King and Harry Ramsden's) to restaurants and pubs. There are also a range of other facilities, including laundrette, cash-points, nursery service, and on-site supermarket and newsagent.

Gen Con is a name that has been one with the gaming world for over 36 years. It began as a meeting between some friends to play games in Lake Geneva, USA - thus the name Gen (Geneva) Con (Convention). Today that name lives on in the gaming industry as the places to go to get the goods. Gen Con has expanded to three shows worldwide. There are shows in Europe, Indianapolis (USA), and California (USA).

In late February 2004 information packs will be available for delegates and traders; to pre-register for an information pack, please contact Horsemen Events.

Event: Gen Con UK 2004
When: Thursday 14th- Sunday 17th October 2004
Where: Butlins, Minehead, England.
Organisers: Horsemen Events
http://www.horsemenevents.com
contact@horsemenevents.com

Horsemen Events was formed in 2001, bringing together some of the top gaming event organisers in the UK. With over 20 man-years experience in gaming event organisation, ranging from one to five days in length, the Horsemen Events team are involved with over 8 events per year in the UK, and support yet more events worldwide. We are dedicated to bringing you gaming events suitable for everyone, from novices to experts, across the whole UK.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Alaundo on 27 Jul 2004 14:28:33

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  16:03:12  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*gasps* Someone make this one a sticky!

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  16:14:58  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alas! This would be far more exciting if I lived in Europe. I have the misfortune of living in the United States of America, and nothing ever happens here......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  16:25:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Alas! This would be far more exciting if I lived in Europe. I have the misfortune of living in the United States of America, and nothing ever happens here......

Except for that GENCOn we get each year......
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  16:30:03  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, yes, but....... Alright, I see your point.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  01:54:06  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your sooooo lucky Rad. I only wish something like that happens in Australia. If I dropped by for a visit, you think you can let me stay at your place???

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  12:09:03  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

Your sooooo lucky Rad. I only wish something like that happens in Australia. If I dropped by for a visit, you think you can let me stay at your place???

Sure thing Lina! Oh, and did you know they always run Anime films throughout the convention too?

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  12:45:40  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
Sure thing Lina! Oh, and did you know they always run Anime films throughout the convention too?

I hope that this aint a stab at me for helping out arranging for Manga UK to have a stand and cinema at last years Gencon

You wouldn't believe how much verbal I had off Rad for that one

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2004 :  12:23:43  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I'm so giddy im lost for words..... heres the announcement from the official GENCON site:

2004 Gen Con UK
Gen Con UK gets bigger and better in 2004
In Autumn 2004, Horsemen Events present Gen Con UK - "The Best Four Days in Gaming!" - at the Butlins resort in Minehead, England.

Now that sounds like a good prospect - all that and Butlins as well!*

I'm gonna have to give this year's Gencon some serious consideration. Only trouuble is, last time I went I needed a wheelbarrow to get everything home - and, of course, a mortgage to pay for it all.

* That probably sounded sarcastic - it wasn't meant to.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2004 :  13:05:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

Well, it's not going to be as 'BIG' as GenCon, nor as well-structured, but a moderate number of gamers from across Perth (myself included) have been working for some months now to put together our own little PerCon... . So far, nothing has been set in stone yet, but as time passes, we get more and more assistance and as well as promises of greater help from more and more gamers who wish to see something like this come to pass.

At this point, we're looking at an August 2004 launch, but this all depends on how many people we can get together to fill out the extraordinary large hall we intend to rent for the 'great gathering'.

If you're interested Lina, let me know...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2004 :  20:28:35  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Sage, After I have been to Gencon UK, I'm sure Rad will fly to Perth with me to go to PERCON, followed by GENCON in america . Well thats the plan, we're just hoping Australia will have enough Alcohol to support us .

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  07:13:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'd be more than welcome to attend, you can even stay at my home. Although I'm not so sure about the 'alcohol' support. Since I don't drink it, I often do not have any in the house...

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  13:41:19  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anime too... Ok Rad it's settled make sure u vacate some space 4 me.

Sage, it'd be a pleasure to go to your little gathering in August you say? If you charge everyone $5 a head and advertise around a bit, it'd be enough to cover fees and make extra $$$ on the side. Have you heard of Redflag? It's something similar, but everyone brings along their PCs and do a bit of "sharing" and gaming.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  16:38:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You'd be more than welcome to attend, you can even stay at my home. Although I'm not so sure about the 'alcohol' support. Since I don't drink it, I often do not have any in the house...

Wait a minute! You're sober during all your posts?!!!! Really?!

Scary thing is so am I as I don't drink either.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2004 :  09:31:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Wait a minute! You're sober during all your posts?!!!! Really?!
Hehe...

Hey, what do you mean by that...? Give me an example from one of my posts that may have led you to think such a thing...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2004 :  17:27:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Hey, what do you mean by that...? Give me an example from one of my posts that may have led you to think such a thing...

Just one? jk Although now I might keep a sharp eye out for future posts.
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  01:10:32  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reason you don't drink SiriusBlack... is it because your under age (not that it stopped anyone before) or mommy won't let you.

I'm not a drinker myself. Never drunk until I passed out either.

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  01:25:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lina, I've added your name to the potential list of newcomers...Expect to hear from me again sometime next month about this gathering...

Now, as for 'Redflag'...I've heard very little, other than what you have just told me previously.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  19:03:40  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
another UK con you might want to know about - Battlemasters 2004 hosted by Eurolog

details here

http://www.eurolog.org/

cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  14:27:57  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Just a reminder, that more information is now available on this event.

Accomodation booking and Delegate packs are now available, as well as the special guests and events lists.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 27 Jul 2004 14:34:59
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  15:09:31  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

..and just to list here the scrolls from those Horsemen yonder...

quote:
SPECIAL GUESTS AT GEN CON UK 2004
We are please to announce that the following guests will be making appearances at Gen Con UK 2004:

>From the UK's talented pool of fantasy artists we have Colin MacNeil, Andy Hepworth, Jon Hodgson, Sam Hadley, Dom!, Jock, John Spelling, Anne Stokes and Ralph Horsley, which makes it the largest presence of UK artists at a Gen Con UK ever!

Taking time out from the industry side of roleplaying, we are delighted to welcome to Gen Con UK 2004 Peter Adkison, Phil Masters, Paul Wade-Williams, Shane Hensley and Dave Blewer. This is by no means a comprehensive list; we are still in the process of confirming more industry guests, all of whom will be taking an active part at Gen Con UK 2004.

This year at Gen Con UK we will also be featuring a 'Medieval Life' centre, focusing quite naturally on all things pertaining to the medieval world. Showing off their wares and skills for all to see will be Gerry Burrows, Neil Eddiford (of Time Team fame) and the Courtney's group of medieval experts, all of whom will be happy to help you take part in fletching, rope turning, spoon crafting, armour making as well as talks on what life was really like.

SPECIAL EVENTS AT GEN CON UK 2004
If you thought Gen Con UK 2004 was going to be nothing but games, think again! Although we are running a full and comprehensive program of all types of games, we also have a number of other events for our delegates to participate in.

We are happy to confirm that the following events will be taking place, though it should be noted that this isn't a full list as we will be adding more and more to our schedule;

Art Show
Featuring nine (that's right, nine!) of the UK's leading fantasy artists, this year's show has the largest presence of British artists ever at a Gen Con UK.
Featuring the works of Colin MacNeil, Andy Hepworth, Jon Hodgson, Sam Hadley, Dom!, Jock, John Spelling, Anne Stokes and Ralph Horsley.

Medieval Life
Ever wanted to know how to fletch arrows or weave chainmail? Perhaps you'd like to try your hand at rope turning instead? Everything you ever wanted to know about life in medieval times can be found here.
Here's your golden opportunity to learn from two masters, Neil Eddiford (of Time Team fame) and Gerry Burrows as well as the Courtney's group of medieval experts.

Monster Creation Competition
Can you visualise the scariest monster ever? Can you see it in your mind's eye? Can you create it too? Can we eat it afterwards?
This is your chance to enter the Monster Creation competition and create your very own abomination to terrify the masses with, made of course from edible materials. Not quite your run of the mill figure painting competition, I'm sure you'll agree.

'Gaming Challenge'
Think you know how to play games? Think again.
Our Special Guests are willing to take on all comers in the 'Gaming Challenge' series of events, with an invite to the Wrap Party going to those that manage to defeat our doughty Games Meisters in a series of challenges that will include such gaming classics as... Buckaroo, Kerplunk! and Operation.

Character Competition
Think you've got the perfect character? You have the costume, right? And the background worked out? His or her personality is all smoothed out and ready to go? This is your opportunity to give that character 5 minutes in the sun and show the world what you've created!

Room 101
Hosted by Mark Smith, this is the perfect opportunity for our delegates to have a rant and rave about their favourite (or not so favourite) games and attempt to consign them to Room 101. Inspired by the BBC 2 program of the same name.

Auction
An opportunity to pick up that rare card, out of print supplement or original piece of artwork. Alternatively, our delegates can sell their wares here too.

'Your chance to discuss'
Featuring throughout the four days of Gen Con UK 2004 will be a number of discussion panels involving delegates and guests alike that will be covering such topics as 'Evil: Good or Bad?', 'Fad Games or Instant Classics' and many more.

Live Pictionary
Hosted by Karen MacNeil and featuring the talents of some of the artists in attendance at Gen Con UK 2004, this popular game will once again feature at Gen Con UK 2004. Who can ever forget Larry Elmore's depiction of Supergirl!

These are just some of the events we have planned for Gen Con UK 2004. On top of all that we have our usual array of forums with industry guests and game designers, not to mention an opening night Masked Ball and the wrap party to bid a fond farewell to Gen Con UK 2004.
So much to do and so little time to do it all in! Look forward to seeing you at Gen Con UK 2004!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 27 Jul 2004 15:11:32
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  15:32:33  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hadn't seen this scroll - thanks Al!

I'm still deciding whether or not to go. It should be really fun... but none of the featured guests are people I've heard of, even vaguely.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  16:26:33  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

Hadn't seen this scroll - thanks Al!

I'm still deciding whether or not to go. It should be really fun... but none of the featured guests are people I've heard of, even vaguely.

Me neither. Todd Lockwood was a guest last year, as well as other non-D&D artists like Brian Froud (Faeries, Labyrinth etc.).

Hopefully more guests will be announced at a later date.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  23:51:59  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As i posted in WoDD, i plan to go there. But it's a bit far from France... in fact SOUTH of France! So i'll try to bring some of my friends to fill the bungalows. If we are bot enough we could share with some of you ... agree?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2004 :  11:19:43  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone here at Candlekeep going to GENCON UK this week?

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  11:41:53  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So how was it??? If anyone from here went... Rad?

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  13:09:13  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo and I were in attendance at this event. And I must say that we, and I am sure I can speak for the aged one, had a good time!

It looked to be a success, and everyone seemed to really enjoying themselves.

I was in a bit of a depressive mood when I got there, due to the location of the event on how it was presented, but then after a while (when Alaundo started loading me up with purchases) I started to get into the swing of things!

I am hoping they can iron out a few bugs, for next year!

Regards

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  10:17:54  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like it was loads of fun... So unfair!

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000