Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Regarding the Ilmatari
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  18:29:54  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings and well met,

I've got a few questions regarding the Ilmatari, specifically regarding restrictions within the priesthood and paladin orders.

Now, I've seen nothing in either the 3E FRCS or Faiths and Pantheons that states explicitly that Ilmatari priests and paladins can't be married. Given the constraints of the Ilmatari dogma, and the general constraints of being a paladin, even if there's no church law against it I would imagine that such unions would be very rare, but I would like a definitive (more or less) answer.

So, in brief, can paladins and priests of Ilmater marry? More generally, what sort of specific prohibitions are there on the Ilmatari priesthood?

Thanks you in advance,
-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  18:39:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Blue Sorceress

Greetings and well met,

I've got a few questions regarding the Ilmatari, specifically regarding restrictions within the priesthood and paladin orders.

Now, I've seen nothing in either the 3E FRCS or Faiths and Pantheons that states explicitly that Ilmatari priests and paladins can't be married. Given the constraints of the Ilmatari dogma, and the general constraints of being a paladin, even if there's no church law against it I would imagine that such unions would be very rare, but I would like a definitive (more or less) answer.

So, in brief, can paladins and priests of Ilmater marry? More generally, what sort of specific prohibitions are there on the Ilmatari priesthood?

Thanks you in advance,
-Blue

None of us can answer this because I don't believe there has ever been any printed lore on it. A lot of the deity rituals and ceremonies have never seen the light of day in printed lore. TSR wouldn't touch it, "To satanic." WOTC won't touch it, "Not crunchy enough."

So my advice is to go ask Ed in his novel thread here on the boards. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 26 Aug 2004 18:41:05
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2004 :  02:16:26  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

None of us can answer this because I don't believe there has ever been any printed lore on it. A lot of the deity rituals and ceremonies have never seen the light of day in printed lore. TSR wouldn't touch it, "To satanic." WOTC won't touch it, "Not crunchy enough."

So my advice is to go ask Ed in his novel thread here on the boards. :)

Ah... thank you. Figures... the sort of info one needs for good RP is notably absent. *sigh*

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2004 :  03:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be allowed to marry. They may have restrictions such as their partner has to worship Ilmater as well. Personally I'd say go ahead and let them marry. I think all dieties (except those that promote total destruction or absence of life) would want their followers to marry and have families to breed more worshipers

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6650 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2004 :  04:55:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well of course they can marry. After all, their religious views revolve around sacrifice, suffering and stoicism - that about sums up wedlock sometimes.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2004 :  05:49:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Well of course they can marry. After all, their religious views revolve around sacrifice, suffering and stoicism - that about sums up wedlock sometimes.

-- George Krashos

I love honest scribes.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2004 :  06:32:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

I give you points for that one!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2004 :  21:11:20  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think there's been any type of lore indicating that Ilmatari may not marry. It seems reasonable to have it be acceptable in the faith, since more babies means more Ilmater worshippers.

However, in my campaign, the church of Ilmater is dominant in the entire region of Damara, and I've likened it to the Catholic Church of medieval Europe. Lots of large, grandiose cathedrals in the larger cities, and a shrine in almost every village or thorp.

In thinking about the values of suffering and endurance, I've added vows of abstinence, poverty and chastity to the Ilmatari, so that they may not marry, smoke, drink or engage in sexual relations. Tithing is very heavy among the clergy. This is not canon, though, and may not suit your interpretation of the values of the faith. The idea of chastity certainly does seem to fit the endurance domain, though.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  17:02:04  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe The Blue Sorceress,

Here is some information for you:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Church_of_Ilmater

It covers both in there.

Best regards,

quote:

Greetings and well met,

Thanks you in advance,
-Blue

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  18:27:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

-- George Krashos

Wow... Me and my wife had just met (or were soon to) and were still a couple months from our first date, when I laughed at Krash's comment!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  19:47:19  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Now that is awesome! It must be crazy at times to look back and see memories like that!

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

Wow... Me and my wife had just met (or were soon to) and were still a couple months from our first date, when I laughed at Krash's comment!

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000