Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The powers of the chosen
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aracnomancer
Acolyte

Brazil
11 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2004 :  03:56:08  Show Profile  Visit aracnomancer's Homepage Send aracnomancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
We all know the powers that Mystra and Bane chosen have, but what about the powers of the other gods chosen, what powers they receive for beeing a chosen of the other gods? There is any reference in any book?

The time of the drow has came... be careful.

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2004 :  04:53:35  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i am not sure but I think the power of each chosen is diffrent depending on the god. But there are names scatterd here and there in several realms books i own the campagns setting faiths and paneteons i think and so on.
also i do not think all gods have a chosen they have those prox things.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2004 :  20:06:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally, the only Chosen in the Realms were the Chosen of Mystra. I, for one, preferred it that way.

Other deities have their own Chosen, but I think it would be more appropriate to call them Champions. They've not the power or ability of Mystra's Chosen, but they have (or should have) certain abilities beyond those of most mortals, and that pertain to their deity.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

aracnomancer
Acolyte

Brazil
11 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2004 :  03:43:15  Show Profile  Visit aracnomancer's Homepage Send aracnomancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well ok... don't you know if there's any reference in any books, even old editions? What powers do you think a chosen of Moradin should have?
Thats all tkz...

Go to Top of Page

Nephilim
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2004 :  14:17:19  Show Profile  Visit Nephilim's Homepage Send Nephilim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Quintessential Sorcerer presents an archetype called the Chosen. The characters sorcerous power is a gift from a god (rather than from Dragon ancestry). As a bonus, the character gains access to a Clerical domain Appropriate to the god. In addition to gaining the domain power, the sorcerer gains the domain spells as extra spells on top of the sorcerers known spells, at the appropriate level.

This could be applied to your dwarf hero even if he (she?) is not a sorcerer, the domain chosen should be archtypal to the god - either an alignment domain or a racial domain (in this case Dwarf). Simply apply the spells as spell-like abilities each useable once per day. The character level could be used as the caster level to determine the spell effect and what level of spell-like abilities the character has access to.

ooops.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2004 :  00:24:14  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aracnomancer

Well ok... don't you know if there's any reference in any books, even old editions? What powers do you think a chosen of Moradin should have?
Thats all tkz...

Chosen of Moradin? It's hard to predict. A god can give almost any ability he wishes to his chosen. But for a god like Moradin, it would most likely be a boost to strength and constitution, maybe some amazing weapon crafting or masonry skills.

There's no real guidelines to how a chosen should be. Mystra's Chosens all have amazing abilities and powers, while Mielikki's chosen barely received anything to make her more powerful. It all really depends on the god and their portfolios.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2004 :  12:00:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's hope that this "chosen of X"-trend dies a swift death. I suppose you can't blame the many game designers and novelists who jumped on the Chosen bandwagon but I sincerely hope that we don't see any more Chosen of other gods anytime in the near future. I like the idea of a god granting a favoured worshipper some boons and boosts, but nothing that the crunchers can make a template out of! Ed's realmslore has many, many scattered references to people enjoying a god's favour without having to resort to the cop out of "and then they were made a Chosen of Grumbar". But then again, what are all the gaming fans going to aspire to after they've killed Larloch?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2004 :  13:31:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Let's hope that this "chosen of X"-trend dies a swift death. I suppose you can't blame the many game designers and novelists who jumped on the Chosen bandwagon but I sincerely hope that we don't see any more Chosen of other gods anytime in the near future. I like the idea of a god granting a favoured worshipper some boons and boosts, but nothing that the crunchers can make a template out of! Ed's realmslore has many, many scattered references to people enjoying a god's favour without having to resort to the cop out of "and then they were made a Chosen of Grumbar". But then again, what are all the gaming fans going to aspire to after they've killed Larloch?

-- George Krashos

Hear, hear! I've complained more than once about all the non-Mystran Chosen, so it's good to know that others agree.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2004 :  17:46:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

Doubtful. :) That albino Sarrakh(sp?) in Serpent Kingdoms, which Ed partly authored, said he was once a Chosen before being stripped of his powers.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  02:57:20  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to an article about the Chosen of Deneir:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/deneir

Also, I know Umberlee has a chosen (or a seraph? same thing?) named Slarkrethel who is a Kraken and also the leader of the Kraken Society. I think there is some info on him in Cloak & Dagger, maybe also Lords of Darkness. I don't know if it details any of his powers or the gifts that Umberlee gave to him as her chosen.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  03:37:47  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it was a snake it woulda bit me!

Here is a thread on the Wizards boards with tons of chosen templates. It even has one for Chosen of Moradin on page 5, it may just be exactly what you are looking for. If not there should be tons of ideas you could use to create one of your own.

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=176507

Cheers,
Grayson
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  04:00:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

If it was a snake it woulda bit me!

Here is a thread on the Wizards boards with tons of chosen templates. It even has one for Chosen of Moradin on page 5, it may just be exactly what you are looking for. If not there should be tons of ideas you could use to create one of your own.

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=176507

Cheers,
Grayson

That thread is still there? I very quickly decided to avoid that one, back when I was still allowed on those boards...

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  06:03:12  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Here is a link to an article about the Chosen of Deneir:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/deneir

Also, I know Umberlee has a chosen (or a seraph? same thing?) named Slarkrethel who is a Kraken and also the leader of the Kraken Society. I think there is some info on him in Cloak & Dagger, maybe also Lords of Darkness. I don't know if it details any of his powers or the gifts that Umberlee gave to him as her chosen.

Yes, he is indeed the Chosen of Umberlee. Lord of Darkness does have a bit of info on him but it doesn't go into details about his stats.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  08:20:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

As Ive said in other threads theres a potentially valid reason for almost every FR god to have a Chosen. The Time of Troubles, when the gods walked the realms they where forced to posssess a mortal whose body they lived in for the duration of the Time of Troubles (which was 8-12 months I recall) all the mortals whose bodies survived the events of The TOT would have got control of there bodies back after the gods returned to the planes now the question is what effect does having gods divine essense inside a mortal body for 8-12 months do to that body? Some gods may have even rewarded there host with the powers of a Chosen in gratetude, others may have done in it in order to better organise there churches after AOs new rules for gods ie A gods power is now directly proportional to the number of worshipers they have and saw the need to introduce a "Pope" type figure into there religion.

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  11:32:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

As Ive said in other threads theres a potentially valid reason for almost every FR god to have a Chosen. The Time of Troubles, when the gods walked the realms they where forced to posssess a mortal whose body they lived in for the duration of the Time of Troubles (which was 8-12 months I recall) all the mortals whose bodies survived the events of The TOT would have got control of there bodies back after the gods returned to the planes now the question is what effect does having gods divine essense inside a mortal body for 8-12 months do to that body? Some gods may have even rewarded there host with the powers of a Chosen in gratetude, others may have done in it in order to better organise there churches after AOs new rules for gods ie A gods power is now directly proportional to the number of worshipers they have and saw the need to introduce a "Pope" type figure into there religion.

I disagree.

Mystra is the only deity with a need for Chosen, and I don't see too many other deities chosing to invest a bit of their own essence in a mortal shell.

I see the position of Chosen as being an exalted one, since that person does contain some of their deity's power. Many of the non-Mystran Chosen, however, get a few nifty abilities but the same title. 'Tis like saying that since both have four tires and an engine, a 2005 Ferrari Testarossa is the same as a 1969 Volkswagen Bettle.

What I can see is other deities having Champions. A Champion would be the same thing as these non-Mystran Chosen: a mortal selected by a deity to further that deity's cause, and who receives certain unique abilities so they can do this. They have nifty, deity-granted powers, but not a piece of their deity. This would include people like the leaders of the Emerald Enclave.

As for the former mortal hosts from the ToT retaining some divine power... It's a nice idea, but there is zero evidence that this is the case. I can think of at least two named mortal hosts that are still around, and for neither one is there any mention of their deity's essence having caused a lasting change.

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2004 :  02:45:22  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My group and I have had long discussions about this topic. Our conclusion was that Mystra's Chosen are a unique breed, as it is required of her to divest herself of some of her power to mortals. Other deities have their 'special friends' which we call Seraphs (like Cyric's Seraph of Lies), or Champions.

None of these other 'Chosen', not even Fzoul, actually contain a part of their deity's 'divine essence'. Were it not required of her, not even Mystra would lessen herself in this way. So it stands to reason that the other gods would not, especially evil ones.

So, as they do not contain a 'divine spark', these others would not be in the same class as Mystra's Chosen. It kinda falls under the same rule of logic that says "All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares." All chosen have divine abilities, and play the part of champion for their god, but only Mystra's have the divine power that makes them unique. So all of Mystra's Chosen are Divine Champions, but not Champions are Chosen. Or something like that!

But that's just my opinion.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2004 :  03:20:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An opinion I agree with.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2004 :  03:27:12  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, oh Senior Scribe!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2004 :  03:46:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

My group and I have had long discussions about this topic. Our conclusion was that Mystra's Chosen are a unique breed, as it is required of her to divest herself of some of her power to mortals. Other deities have their 'special friends' which we call Seraphs (like Cyric's Seraph of Lies), or Champions.

None of these other 'Chosen', not even Fzoul, actually contain a part of their deity's 'divine essence'. Were it not required of her, not even Mystra would lessen herself in this way. So it stands to reason that the other gods would not, especially evil ones.

So, as they do not contain a 'divine spark', these others would not be in the same class as Mystra's Chosen. It kinda falls under the same rule of logic that says "All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares." All chosen have divine abilities, and play the part of champion for their god, but only Mystra's have the divine power that makes them unique. So all of Mystra's Chosen are Divine Champions, but not Champions are Chosen. Or something like that!

But that's just my opinion.

A similar comparison was once made on a Monty Python album: "All of Al McHogan is dead, but only a small percentage of the class of dead people is Al McHogan."

That aside, you explained my point better than I.

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2004 :  03:48:32  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once again I tip my hat to you, Wooly, in thanks!

Go to Top of Page

danyew
Acolyte

Singapore
3 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  13:21:46  Show Profile  Visit danyew's Homepage Send danyew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone noticed that Mystra's chosen are the only one who are not exclusively her clerics?Some are not even mages while every other chosen of another deity are clerics.

Prince Arien Silverleaf
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  14:33:19  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to throw my lot in with the chosen of mystra only crowd as well. If you frequent other message boards its sort of a running gag about the setting that bothers me to no end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  16:40:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danyew

Has anyone noticed that Mystra's chosen are the only one who are not exclusively her clerics?Some are not even mages while every other chosen of another deity are clerics.

I could be mistaken, but I think that Mielikki's Chosen, Geryth Phaulkon (I'm likely misspelling that name), is a ranger...

I could also see Torm as having a paladin Chosen, and maybe a bard Chosen for Milil or Finder....

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  18:23:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, despite my previous comment, I am in no way condoning making even more Chosen... I've already stated that I can see Champions a lot more readily than Chosen, and most of the non-Mystran Chosen would be a lot more fitting as Champions.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  18:26:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I could be mistaken, but I think that Mielikki's Chosen, Geryth Phaulkon (I'm likely misspelling that name), is a ranger...

Jeryth Phaulkon

And also Mielikki's Chosen in the Emerald Enclave, which are also Chosens of Silvanus and Eldath at the same time are mostly druids.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  20:06:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

Jeryth Phaulkon

Ah, thank you. I knew it didn't look right, but I was trying to do something else, and so I didn't feel like taking the time to look it up.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  20:41:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

Jeryth Phaulkon

Ah, thank you. I knew it didn't look right, but I was trying to do something else, and so I didn't feel like taking the time to look it up.

I cheated. I used my NPC list. :) Under um rangers. :)

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  18:03:54  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte aracnomancer,

Here is a good source on the matter:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Chosen

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by aracnomancer

We all know the powers that Mystra and Bane chosen have, but what about the powers of the other gods chosen, what powers they receive for beeing a chosen of the other gods? There is any reference in any book?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000