Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 City of Splendors: A Novel of Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  20:16:08  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Elaine Cunningham has so named her novel co-written with Ed Greenwood in this interview. The name echoes Cormyr: A Novel and Evermeet: Island of Elves, though I don't think we know if it uses the James Michener-style organization of those books.

Only a year to wait!

Edited by - Faraer on 05 Aug 2004 20:16:48

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  20:56:15  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe Mrs. Cunningham has already put forth that this novel will be set within present/current Realms time and not feature the back and forth found in the Evermeet and Cormyr novels.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  21:17:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Elaine Cunningham has so named her novel co-written with Ed Greenwood in this interview. The name echoes Cormyr: A Novel and Evermeet: Island of Elves, though I don't think we know if it uses the James Michener-style organization of those books.

More accurately, WotC has so named this novel.

It is neither Micheneresque nor Rutherfordian in style. It's set in near-current time (1372) and has mostly new characters. It has no pretensions of going the way of Evermeet or Cormyr. That was the original plan, with Khelben's long life the focal point of the plot, but the Powers That Be decreed otherwise.

I think readers will enjoy the story more if they think of it as "a" novel of Waterdeep, not "the" novel of Waterdeep.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  21:19:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
I think readers will enjoy the story more if they think of it as "a" novel of Waterdeep, not "the" novel of Waterdeep.

A novel set in Waterdeep rather than THE Waterdeep novel?

Thank you for the reply and for a entertaining interview.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  21:28:37  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant that you'd disclosed the name, not chosen it. Current time boo, new characters yay, etc.

By the way Elaine, if you'd written a Star Wars novel in the Republic or Empire timeframes, I'd have read it. I just don't buy into the post-Episode VI EU. Sorry!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  22:47:02  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm August 2005, I thought it was coming out in May 05

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2004 :  02:53:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I've never heard May, August was always the month I recall given.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2004 :  03:05:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I've never heard May, August was always the month I recall given.

Either way, it's too far away! I want to read it now, if not sooner!

I am looking forward to this one, seriously. It's a great combo all the way around: the wonderful and talented Elaine, the man himself, Ed, and the best city in the Realms. What's not to love?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2004 :  05:43:50  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

By the way Elaine, if you'd written a Star Wars novel in the Republic or Empire timeframes, I'd have read it. I just don't buy into the post-Episode VI EU. Sorry!

Off-topic: *mutters* What I really want is a SW novel set during the Old Republic. Say, some time before or after Exar Kun's time. (Yes, I actually like the EU -- more than the movies, if anything. So sue me. Hur hur.)

On-topic: do we start a count-down or what?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2004 :  06:14:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

Yeah, we need a site with a countdown to this novel's release date.

If the internet can have a site with a countdown to when the Olsen twins turn 18 <shudder> than it can have a City of Splendors: A Novel of Waterdeep countdown site.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2004 :  06:27:24  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. After all, we "DnD nerds" care about the Waterdeep novel as much as those perverts care about the Olsens... Lol.

Forgive my ignorance, but does anyone know what this novel will be about? I go search on the internet and I find dozens of sites on Waterdeep, but nothing on this upcoming novel.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2004 :  14:21:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101
Forgive my ignorance, but does anyone know what this novel will be about? I go search on the internet and I find dozens of sites on Waterdeep, but nothing on this upcoming novel.

I think there are brief descriptions for the novel in both the Cunningham and Greenwood threads.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  17:32:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

Yeah, we need a site with a countdown to this novel's release date.

If the internet can have a site with a countdown to when the Olsen twins turn 18 <shudder> than it can have a City of Splendors: A Novel of Waterdeep countdown site.

I was looking around online this morn... The Barnes & Noble website says this tome will be available August 24th.

Edit: And wow, I didn't realize I was unearthing a year-old thread! I was simply trying to find an existing topic about this tome.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Aug 2005 17:50:08
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  18:00:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No wonder I was confused, because I thought this book was coming out this year!

Note to self: Look at the dates of the replies.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Pipers Youth
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  02:23:23  Show Profile  Visit Pipers Youth's Homepage Send Pipers Youth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

I agree. After all, we "DnD nerds" care about the Waterdeep novel as much as those perverts care about the Olsens... Lol.

Yes, I can't wait another moment for this book to come out! Ed's knack for Realms lore, and Elaine's lyrical writing style, should make for an interesting read.

And I believe the interview on the official Dungeons and Dragons web site should shed a little light on the story, or at least the new characters.

"I...I truly wish Vangerdahast was still irritating half of Cormyr by running things in his usual capable fashion. He'd handle things so much better than I do."

-Caladnei, Mage Royal

Edited by - Pipers Youth on 05 Aug 2005 02:24:18
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  03:00:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I did exactly the same thing .

And then I thought, surely Faraer wouldn't be so far behind on such Realms-matters .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  03:14:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

And then I thought, surely Faraer wouldn't be so far behind on such Realms-matters .

Yay! Now I don't feel so stupid. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  03:52:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yay! Now I don't feel so stupid. :)

Hmmm... I guess I'm going to have to find another year-old thread to resurrect, so I can play with everyone's minds!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  05:57:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Hmmm... I guess I'm going to have to find another year-old thread to resurrect, so I can play with everyone's minds!
We all have to have a hobby .

Now, back to the discussion about the City of Splendors novel.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  18:30:06  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lots of info about the upcoming book!

First, there's a sample chapter up on the WotC site, and also on my author website.

http://www.elainecunningham.com/wd_sample_chapter.htm

The WotC site just posted an interview with Ed and me. This gives quite a bit of information about the story and the new characters.

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/citysplendorsinterview

Paizo Publishing has info online about the Dragon #335, which has several companion pieces: a short story about Elaith Craulnober entitled "Games of Chance," and article about the bard college New Olamn, and an interview with Ed.

http://paizo.com/dragon/products/issues/2005/v5748btpy7fto

Also, I think the Candlekeep community will be pleasantly surprised by the dedication. :)

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 05 Aug 2005 18:38:03
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  19:53:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Also, I think the Candlekeep community will be pleasantly surprised by the dedication. :)

Has me curious now. :)

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  23:17:13  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lots of info about the upcoming book!

First, there's a sample chapter up on the WotC site, and also on my author website.

http://www.elainecunningham.com/wd_sample_chapter.htm

The WotC site just posted an interview with Ed and me. This gives quite a bit of information about the story and the new characters.

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/citysplendorsinterview

Paizo Publishing has info online about the Dragon #335, which has several companion pieces: a short story about Elaith Craulnober entitled "Games of Chance," and article about the bard college New Olamn, and an interview with Ed.

http://paizo.com/dragon/products/issues/2005/v5748btpy7fto

Well met

Thank ye for the collated information, Elaine. I'm beside myself with excitement of all this recent and upcoming coverage of my favorite city of the Realms and will certainly look forward to these articles and the novel...more than I can express herein

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  01:40:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wow! Mentions in the Ed and Elaine interview... and a possible mention in Dragon.

How's that Alaundo .

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  09:31:28  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Wow! Mentions in the Ed and Elaine interview... and a possible mention in Dragon.

How's that Alaundo .

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  01:54:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So,

Am I still the only one, in the States, that hasn't been able to find this novel yet? :) Walks away grumbling about local bookstores.

Edited by - Kuje on 18 Aug 2005 01:55:46
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  02:14:01  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ain't seen it, either.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  02:16:55  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So,

Am I still the only one, in the States, that hasn't been able to find this novel yet? :) Walks away grumbling about local bookstores.

Be glad that you don't have to wait as long as I seem to have to here in the UK. And I think I've finally found a win-win solution regarding this book. I've found something I want for my birthday and it means I can get my hands on it soon, rather than having to wait for the more affordable paperback.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

RedStrike
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  02:19:34  Show Profile  Visit RedStrike's Homepage Send RedStrike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Worse still, for me, in my country, the novel was supposed to have been released, yet I and my friends are still scouring the country bookstores for the book.

We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  02:28:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RedStrike

Worse still, for me, in my country, the novel was supposed to have been released, yet I and my friends are still scouring the country bookstores for the book.

Well it was supposed to be released in the States a week or two ago. :) Hence my question of, "Anyone else not have it that lives in the States?"

And Melf: Blah but at least I'm not the only one.

Edited by - Kuje on 18 Aug 2005 02:30:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  03:02:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So,

I've not seen it, either.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2005 :  04:22:55  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I asked the person at my game store and they told me it was supposed to be in this Friday... however, the guy has been known to tell me that before and has been wrong... I will wait patiently, though

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000