Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 More Ancient Empires news
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2004 :  23:25:20  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Richard Baker has spilled the beans on whats in this book

"Hmmm, well, hadn't seen that before. Uh, in that case--yeah, we are doing a book called Ancient Empires. The authors are Travis Stout and Ed Bonny. I handled the mechanical development work on the book, while Eric Boyd and George Krashos handled a Herculean job of continuity-checking and tweaking.

The main features of the book include:
- A chapter on feats and prestige classes themed around ancient empires.
- A chapter on monsters you often find in or around ancient ruins (which, coincidentally enough, is pretty much the PGtoF's cut monster chapter, with a few new additons).
- A chapter each on half-a-dozen key eras/regions/groupings of fallen empires.
- A number of ready-to-play adventure sites themed around the ruins.
- A brief look at some of the more important "dead" gods, and (at last) a mechanical explanation for why some still have clerics running around.
- A map of Faerun as it appeared in -676 DR, 2000 years ago."

Im glad where going to get another FR Map

We'll we now know where the missing Monsters from PGTF are going to appear

Given the Chapter on dead gods in AE I wonder if the Deathstalker PrC in Dragon 322 will appear in AE.....

*Starts poking George and Eric with a stick*

PS Its also uo for Pre Order at the Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786936541/qid=1091140073/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-8576068-2744735?v=glance&s=books

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 29 Jul 2004 23:31:38

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  00:53:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, that makes that book look even more appealing! Especially the fact that Eric Boyd and George Krashos checked over the continuity...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  01:01:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I want to see

The Dead gods chapter:

Mykrul (now that the Yuan Ti pure Blood who had the crown of horn has lost it no one knows where it is)

Bhaal (Bhaalspawn saga does it affect the official FR at all)

Orcus (is he alive or Dead in the FR)

Bane (while Bane is no longer a dead deity, does AE say how he managed to return?)

The Map

Show where each of the Netherese cities came down and what happaned to the Sylune worshiping Netherese city Opus which apparently wasnt destroyed

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  03:21:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

What I want to see

The Dead gods chapter:

Mykrul (now that the Yuan Ti pure Blood who had the crown of horn has lost it no one knows where it is)

Bhaal (Bhaalspawn saga does it affect the official FR at all)

Orcus (is he alive or Dead in the FR)

Bane (while Bane is no longer a dead deity, does AE say how he managed to return?)

The Map

Show where each of the Netherese cities came down and what happaned to the Sylune worshiping Netherese city Opus which apparently wasnt destroyed

I'd like to see Bane's return actually explained a bit more, though, as I've said elsewhere, it could be said that the groundwork for it was laid in 2nd edition.

I'd like to see more about Netheril, myself. Off the top of my head, I can only recall where 3, possibly 4 cities of Netheril are currently -- and one of those is Shade.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  03:51:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The main features of the book include:
- A chapter on feats and prestige classes themed around ancient empires.

quote:

- A chapter on monsters you often find in or around ancient ruins (which, coincidentally enough, is pretty much the PGtoF's cut monster chapter, with a few new additons).

We shall see.

quote:

- A chapter each on half-a-dozen key eras/regions/groupings of fallen empires.

Interesting.

quote:

- A number of ready-to-play adventure sites themed around the ruins.

I'm curious to see what they offer.

quote:

- A brief look at some of the more important "dead" gods, and (at last) a mechanical explanation for why some still have clerics running around.

Very interesting

quote:

- A map of Faerun as it appeared in -676 DR, 2000 years ago."

Wow! That will be nice to see.

If I recall right, Travis Stout put forth in an interview that the blades from the old Cormanthyr book would be found in a future product since they were cut from the PGTF.
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  04:35:55  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Must. Have. This. Book.

A map of the realms in -676! Narfell and Raumathar!

I feel faint...

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  06:56:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Out of curiosity, what else have Travis Stout and Ed Bonny done?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  07:01:42  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Out of curiosity, what else have Travis Stout and Ed Bonny done?

Bonny worked on Monster Manual II. Stout has done some work for D20 companies as well as PGTF.
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  13:47:58  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This book looks extremely interesting. I look forward to seeing the chapter on both the Dead Gods and the history of the Ancient Empires.

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

Jerard Doonsay
Seeker

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  15:20:01  Show Profile  Visit Jerard Doonsay's Homepage Send Jerard Doonsay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When is this scheduled for release?

May history live forever in the writings and stories of those who wish to tell them.

Please come and enjoy my website http://ferien.aribytes.org
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  15:20:05  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A chill ran down my spine as I read this - not because it looks bad, it seems to have a lot of potential, even if the authors give me slight reservations - but because of the dead gods part.

Believe me, I'll lap it up, but as Dargoth pointed out this may be a sort of "crunch time" for BG canon. If they don't include it, that won't change my views - I'll be very disappointed at yet another case of ignoring poor old Phil, but if they do, I'm gonna jump for cover.

Anyway... the map should be fun. And hopefully we'll get a write-up of the gods of the different periods, rather than numerious scribes attempting to compile full lists of gods during: A) Netheril and B) Unther.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  15:30:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jerard Doonsay

When is this scheduled for release?

02/05
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  15:55:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just keep in mind people, the book is titled "Ancient Empires". Gods like Myrkul and Bhaal were still around up until 1358 DR ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  16:06:22  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, cool that the book's announced now. Tell me you and Eric's influence is substantial, and I'll get it (where I haven't yet bought Unapproachable East and Underdark). The use of apparently Realms-novice authors is baffling, though I know it can be made to work with careful project management.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  16:22:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

George, cool that the book's announced now. Tell me you and Eric's influence is substantial, and I'll get it (where I haven't yet bought Unapproachable East and Underdark). The use of apparently Realms-novice authors is baffling, though I know it can be made to work with careful project management.

I got to look at Ed Bonny's stuff as he was churning it out - and was impressed by his desire to research, incorporate previous material and come up with his own stuff that fit in well with the general thrust of the product. Even though he is a 'novice' FR author, I was quietly confident his stuff would be 'good' - and so it proved IMHO.

I didn't have direct contact with Travis, and Eric looked at most of his stuff (although I had a chance to comment also). All in all, I was very pleased with the final, rough, unedited product. Lots of really juicy stuff was generated that will get the FR fans buzzing - and hopefully we caught all the "errors", and it all fits continuity-wise.

I think the product will speak for itself when it hits the shelves and definitely deserves a place in any FR fan's library.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  16:45:51  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds great; I'll certainly give the new guys the benefit of the doubt. I hope it has some nice dungeons too (part of the reason these civilizations were developed in the first place, and a more appropriate way for them to contact the present than their people bodily returning).
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  17:48:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
I think the product will speak for itself when it hits the shelves and definitely deserves a place in any FR fan's library.

-- George Krashos

Your information sounds very promising. Thank you GK for sharing it.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  23:42:03  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Bonny speaks about AE at Enworld

Grumpy Celt: Technically, it does not appear that Ancient Empires will be about the Heartlands. It will be about the rise and fall of ancient empires, such as Mulhorand, Unther, Calimshan, Cormanthur and so forth

Ed Bonny: I would not be so hasty as to buy into that assumption - and for good reason. As one half of the team who wrote Ancient Empires, I know that many lost realms and forgotten kingdoms throughout Faerun are covered - including those that once occupied the lands in and around the Heartlands.

Grumpy celt: Does it at least discuss the three surviving empires?

Ed Bonny: Yessirree Mr. Celt! Yes, it does

------------------------------------------------------------------

Now what Id like to know is if AE will be "The" Old empires source book, will AE have an Unapproachable east type write up for Chessenta, Unther and Mulhorond?

Eric?

George?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  23:50:17  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, this product really looks interesting. Lots of nice potential, just reading throught this gives me a handfull of ideas to throw at players that come my way

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2004 :  01:59:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dargoths Speculation on what the " A chapter each on half-a-dozen key eras/regions/groupings of fallen empires." will include

As theres 6 chapters:

1) Netheril and the 3 Survivor states
2) Mulhorond*
3) Unther*
4) Chessenta*
5) Elven Kingdoms
6) Dwarven Kingdoms

* These Kingoms still exist today so I suspect they'll get there own chapters, The now deceased Imaskai Empire maybe included in one of * chapters

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2004 :  03:52:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now what Id like to know is if AE will be "The" Old empires source book, will AE have an Unapproachable east type write up for Chessenta, Unther and Mulhorond?

I'm pretty sure that the title says it all. Ancient Empires shouldn't be implied to be the Old Empires revamped for 3E.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2004 :  04:19:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm pretty sure that the title says it all. Ancient Empires shouldn't be implied to be the Old Empires revamped for 3E.

-- George Krashos

Well the Old Empires nations are Ancient as well, Netheril is only 900 years older. So technically Uther and Mulhorand could be considered Ancient empires

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2004 :  15:50:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall seeing this mentioned before, but the product page for this item on WOTC's site appears to have been updated:

quote:

For the first time, the secrets of past empires of the Forgotten Realms world are chronicled in one comprehensive sourcebook. For players, this book contains new options for characters wishing to delve into ancient ruins, including new feats, prestige classes, magic, and equipment. For Dungeon Masters, this book contains new material associated with ruins, including rules for how to build and sustain a ruin-based campaign, more than a dozen detailed adventure sites with maps, and new monsters and artifacts

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2004 :  23:30:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich Baker also said the following on the WotC Boards:

"Ancient Empires will have a lot of history/timeline info, but I wouldn't describe it as "just" a timeline or history."

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  00:11:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich Baker also just added:

"RE: Ancient Empires, you betcha. There's a chapter on the Crown Wars, a chapter on the ancient High Forest, and another chapter on Myth Drannor and Cormanthyr. Plenty of elf stuff."

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  05:31:05  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"RE: Ancient Empires, you betcha. There's a chapter on the Crown Wars, a chapter on the ancient High Forest, and another chapter on Myth Drannor and Cormanthyr. Plenty of elf stuff."

-- George Krashos

That news is going to make a couple of elf lovers I know very happy. Thanks GK.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  08:46:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... a chapter on the ancient High Forest...
The real question from me, that I'm hoping this section answers, is whether there will be any source material on Athalantar in general, and Heldon in particular...?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  10:47:21  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Oh i'm very excited about this tome. The ancient empires have been an interest to me since....oh,a lonnnng time ago.

After reading of many ruins in past Realms tomes, I hope they get good coverage. I wonder if the Nar ruins and empire mentioned in Lady of Poison will be detailed.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  13:08:13  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very interested to see what this tome has to offer as well, particularly the section on running a campaign that centers around the exploration of ancient cities and ruins. I was hoping that they would spend some time discussing ancient Narfell and Raumathar, but the comments I've seen from the designers so far seem to indicate that Netheril, Imaskar, Jhaamdath and a few others will be detailed, but Narfell and Raumathar will only get passing mention, without any detailed writeups .

Still, with the ideas that are put into the book, I'm sure that a great many of them could be applied to Narfell or Raumathar, and an enterprising DM could expand on what information is already available about those two realms. Hmmm. (scribbles down idea for possible future Candlekeep Chronicles article...)

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  13:38:32  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Ezra

Still, with the ideas that are put into the book, I'm sure that a great many of them could be applied to Narfell or Raumathar, and an enterprising DM could expand on what information is already available about those two realms. Hmmm. (scribbles down idea for possible future Candlekeep Chronicles article...)

::passes Brother Ezra a handful of fine parchment::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  13:53:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

-- George Krashos

That news is going to make a couple of elf lovers I know very happy. Thanks GK.

I'm no elf-lover, but I'd love to read this stuff, myself.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000