Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 More Ancient Empires news
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2004 :  01:02:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
The real question from me, that I'm hoping this section answers, is whether there will be any source material on Athalantar in general, and Heldon in particular...?

What kind of information on the little village of Heldon (which was totally blitzed by the Magelord's dragon steed) would be relevant for anything other than an Arcane Age campaign? Just curious...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2004 :  01:15:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Ezra
I was hoping that they would spend some time discussing ancient Narfell and Raumathar, but the comments I've seen from the designers so far seem to indicate that Netheril, Imaskar, Jhaamdath and a few others will be detailed, but Narfell and Raumathar will only get passing mention, without any detailed writeups .

I'm hoping that the FR community at large isn't creating unrealistic expectations regarding this product. Note that in previous times, Netheril and Cormanthyr had entire products devoted solely to them and one could argue convincingly that at least one of them didn't produce a 'detailed write-up' of its subject matter. If you are looking for minute detail on every aspect of these ancient empires including sites, people, social stuff, architecture, politics, history, favourite colors, etc. etc. then I feel that you expect too much from a 192 page (or whatever it is) sourcebook. Also, keep in mind that AE is not the Arcane Age product line revisited. It is not about allowing you to adventure in ancient Raumathar. It may assist in creating such campaigns but not without considerable DM elbow grease and original input on their part. If you read the product blurb it emphasizes the 'ruins' aspect of these AE and the ability to incorporate them into the here and now.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2004 :  01:20:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich Baker also just said this re AE:

"Yes, Ancient Empires has the info on mythal-building. It's integrated with the epic spellcasting system from Epic Level Handbook."

That should put a smile on people's faces.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2004 :  04:32:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
I was hoping that they would spend some time discussing ancient Narfell and Raumathar, but the comments I've seen from the designers so far seem to indicate that Netheril, Imaskar, Jhaamdath and a few others will be detailed, but Narfell and Raumathar will only get passing mention, without any detailed writeups .

I'm hoping that the FR community at large isn't creating unrealistic expectations regarding this product. Note that in previous times, Netheril and Cormanthyr had entire products devoted solely to them and one could argue convincingly that at least one of them didn't produce a 'detailed write-up' of its subject matter. If you are looking for minute detail on every aspect of these ancient empires including sites, people, social stuff, architecture, politics, history, favourite colors, etc. etc. then I feel that you expect too much from a 192 page (or whatever it is) sourcebook. Also, keep in mind that AE is not the Arcane Age product line revisited. It is not about allowing you to adventure in ancient Raumathar. It may assist in creating such campaigns but not without considerable DM elbow grease and original input on their part. If you read the product blurb it emphasizes the 'ruins' aspect of these AE and the ability to incorporate them into the here and now.

-- George Krashos

I thought as much, which was why I then started to think about the relevance of my hope for a piece on Heldon, or even Athalantar . It's to be expected that such a tome detailing the ancient realms of Faerun would largely be focused towards the practicality of using such locales in a group's current campaign. I'm not saying that's a disappointing aspect for this tome, just, that this is what the RPG market is presently geared toward. Gone are the days where one would find an FR fluff-encrusted tome, filled with all sorts of assorted and useful information and tidbits on various pieces of both arcane and historical lore...

In the end, I'm sure this tome will have some relevant portions for me to use, and more importantly, read about.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2004 :  13:55:26  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

-- George Krashos

I probably am guilty as charged . My first reaction upon seeing news of this publication was excitement over what information would be directly pertinent to my campaign, which draws on the legacy of ancient Narfell and Raumathar heavily. As you mention, in order to do a detailed analysis of the structure, culture, magic and history of every vanished empire in the Realms would require a 300+ page book, which simply isn't going to happen. I'm still satisfied with the approach that is being taken with the product, and am looking forward to the ideas that are presented in it.

Thinking about it now, in a way I'm glad that Narfell and Raumathar may not get extensive coverage. I already have a lot of development of the nature of those two ancient empires, and a detailed look at them in an official WotC publication would codify and canonize such information, which probably would be in conflict with my ideas.

I'm also happy that the book isn't using the "Arcane Age" approach to the publication. I'm more interested in the legacies those empires left behind in the present day than in running a campaign in their heyday.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000