Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Where in Faerun would be best?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tombo
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  19:16:18  Show Profile  Visit Tombo's Homepage Send Tombo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm writing an Adventure and am tyring to figure out where to put my adventure. I'm only somewhat familiar with Faerun though. I need a city that has the following characteristics:
* Prosperous and at least somewhat wholesome
* Is known for excellent entertainment/tourism - Bards often live to perform here (maybe something like Vegas but w/o the seediness?)
* Is about 5 days travel (by foot) through Mountains away from a city that has decent/above average wizard population
* Not too remote

Any suggestions?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  19:36:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Silverymoon is known for welcoming bards; there's even a bardic college there. And that place has got more wizards than Talos has lightning bolts... There's mountains not too terribly distant, as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Jun 2004 19:39:41
Go to Top of Page

Tombo
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  19:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Tombo's Homepage Send Tombo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I wasn't clear on the wizards part. Actually I need a place that doesn't really have many wizards and in order to find a decent wizard, you would need to travel for through some untamed mountainous regions... The quest will involve the adventurers being hired to basically go fetch help from a mid to high level wizard.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  19:55:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tombo

I guess I wasn't clear on the wizards part. Actually I need a place that doesn't really have many wizards and in order to find a decent wizard, you would need to travel for through some untamed mountainous regions... The quest will involve the adventurers being hired to basically go fetch help from a mid to high level wizard.

But is also not too remote? Oh, some interesting requirements there that are eliminating anything I can think of.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  20:00:56  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may want to look into Chessenta. Bard is one of the more common classes in Chessenta and wizards and sorcerers are rather rare. Wizards are sorcerers are treated with suspician there. However, the arcane college of Cimbar is being rebuilt. Perhaps the adventurers would need to travel to Cimbar to find a wizard.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Tombo
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  20:04:02  Show Profile  Visit Tombo's Homepage Send Tombo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know, it's tough. That's a problem I've encountered before when writing an adventure. There are all of these things that have to make sense but no perfect spot to fit them in an existing world. Maybe I should start my ideas from the world itself, that way I won't have to squeeze them in.
The part about not being too remote wasn't that important. I threw that one in just because of future adventures. Sometimes it's difficult thinking of a way/reason to get the group half way across Faerun for the next adventure.
So, taking out the not too remote part, any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

Tombo
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  20:34:50  Show Profile  Visit Tombo's Homepage Send Tombo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool. Chessenta and Cimbar huh? I just recently bought the Forgotten Realms book (can't remember name something like guide to the realms?). Anyway, I'll look that place up.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

RogueAssassin
Learned Scribe

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  22:01:18  Show Profile  Visit RogueAssassin's Homepage Send RogueAssassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most places where bards would want to travel, have a wizards guild, or at least a local population of wizards. Waterdeep, Silverymoon, Calimport, pretty much all have wizards guilds. Silverymoon is a very good choice, even though youd have to find a reason for the PCs to have to travel to find a wizard. Perhaps the wizard has prior knowledge of something the PCs are searching for or maybe he knows something the PCs need to find out.

-The Rogue
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2004 :  02:56:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With all due respect, wouldn't it be easier to tinker slightly with the adventure idea than try and shoehorn quite specific requirements into an already set-up, extremely detailed campaign world?

The stumbling block seems to be the requirement that your core city have another city close by - with wizards. Your core city not having mcuh in the way of a magical presence.

You've got a couple of options:

1. Remove the need for the cities to be within 5 days travel of each other and use Sundabar for the (relatively) low magic city and Silverymoon for the wizard one. Note however that Sundabar isn't famous for its entertainment.
2. Change the city required to have a wizard school or whatever to a wizard school or wizard's dwelling in isolation - that way you can use Beregost and the dwelling of Thalantyr the Conjuror in the Sword Coast region.
3. Grab a decent map of the Realms, look at places like the Dragon Coast, Impiltur, the Border Kingdoms or the Haertlands and pick two geographically suited cities and make them what you will.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2004 :  03:12:50  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... what about the Dalelands? It's a prosperous place with a pretty big population but not like Waterdeep. They are also near the wilderness.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2004 :  02:10:08  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Portals are a very useful way of getting a party halfway across the Realms and back, as long as they aren't over used.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2004 :  18:11:23  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say Beregost is a good starting city as it has a couple of taverns, so a place for bards to entertain is covered. And within a few days travel of Beregost you could easily reach Baldur's Gate which has Plenty of wizards travelling through or as previously mentioned, Thalantyr the Conjuror, who is close by aswell. Well, thats my $0.02, hope you find something that suits you.

K

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

Tombo
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2004 :  12:41:40  Show Profile  Visit Tombo's Homepage Send Tombo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the great ideas!
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2004 :  15:49:49  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tombo

I'm writing an Adventure and am tyring to figure out where to put my adventure. I'm only somewhat familiar with Faerun though. I need a city that has the following characteristics:
* Prosperous and at least somewhat wholesome
* Is known for excellent entertainment/tourism - Bards often live to perform here (maybe something like Vegas but w/o the seediness?)
* Is about 5 days travel (by foot) through Mountains away from a city that has decent/above average wizard population
* Not too remote

Any suggestions?

The closest I can think of to your criteria is Caer Callidyr; which is fairly prosperous, not very seedy, undoubtedly has many, many bards, and which most likely suffers from a shortage of wizards, hehehehehehehehehe.

Um, ahem, there are no mountains leading to wizards, but there is a sea with Waterdeep or Baldur's Gate on the other side.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  00:24:23  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also almost anything in the north, say like Triboar, and going to Longsaddle to get the Harpell family.
Go to Top of Page

brjr2001
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  01:41:54  Show Profile  Visit brjr2001's Homepage Send brjr2001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well did you try waterdeep or Candlekeep

on second thought lets not go to candlekeep it is a silly place
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000