Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Where in Faerun would be best?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tombo Posted - 25 Jun 2004 : 19:16:18
I'm writing an Adventure and am tyring to figure out where to put my adventure. I'm only somewhat familiar with Faerun though. I need a city that has the following characteristics:
* Prosperous and at least somewhat wholesome
* Is known for excellent entertainment/tourism - Bards often live to perform here (maybe something like Vegas but w/o the seediness?)
* Is about 5 days travel (by foot) through Mountains away from a city that has decent/above average wizard population
* Not too remote

Any suggestions?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
brjr2001 Posted - 14 Jul 2004 : 01:41:54
well did you try waterdeep or Candlekeep
AlacLuin Posted - 14 Jul 2004 : 00:24:23
There is also almost anything in the north, say like Triboar, and going to Longsaddle to get the Harpell family.
Beowulf Posted - 13 Jul 2004 : 15:49:49
quote:
Originally posted by Tombo

I'm writing an Adventure and am tyring to figure out where to put my adventure. I'm only somewhat familiar with Faerun though. I need a city that has the following characteristics:
* Prosperous and at least somewhat wholesome
* Is known for excellent entertainment/tourism - Bards often live to perform here (maybe something like Vegas but w/o the seediness?)
* Is about 5 days travel (by foot) through Mountains away from a city that has decent/above average wizard population
* Not too remote

Any suggestions?

The closest I can think of to your criteria is Caer Callidyr; which is fairly prosperous, not very seedy, undoubtedly has many, many bards, and which most likely suffers from a shortage of wizards, hehehehehehehehehe.

Um, ahem, there are no mountains leading to wizards, but there is a sea with Waterdeep or Baldur's Gate on the other side.
Tombo Posted - 13 Jul 2004 : 12:41:40
Thanks for all the great ideas!
Karesch Posted - 05 Jul 2004 : 18:11:23
I'd have to say Beregost is a good starting city as it has a couple of taverns, so a place for bards to entertain is covered. And within a few days travel of Beregost you could easily reach Baldur's Gate which has Plenty of wizards travelling through or as previously mentioned, Thalantyr the Conjuror, who is close by aswell. Well, thats my $0.02, hope you find something that suits you.

K
Reefy Posted - 05 Jul 2004 : 02:10:08
Portals are a very useful way of getting a party halfway across the Realms and back, as long as they aren't over used.
DDH_101 Posted - 27 Jun 2004 : 03:12:50
Hmm... what about the Dalelands? It's a prosperous place with a pretty big population but not like Waterdeep. They are also near the wilderness.
George Krashos Posted - 27 Jun 2004 : 02:56:44
With all due respect, wouldn't it be easier to tinker slightly with the adventure idea than try and shoehorn quite specific requirements into an already set-up, extremely detailed campaign world?

The stumbling block seems to be the requirement that your core city have another city close by - with wizards. Your core city not having mcuh in the way of a magical presence.

You've got a couple of options:

1. Remove the need for the cities to be within 5 days travel of each other and use Sundabar for the (relatively) low magic city and Silverymoon for the wizard one. Note however that Sundabar isn't famous for its entertainment.
2. Change the city required to have a wizard school or whatever to a wizard school or wizard's dwelling in isolation - that way you can use Beregost and the dwelling of Thalantyr the Conjuror in the Sword Coast region.
3. Grab a decent map of the Realms, look at places like the Dragon Coast, Impiltur, the Border Kingdoms or the Haertlands and pick two geographically suited cities and make them what you will.

-- George Krashos

RogueAssassin Posted - 25 Jun 2004 : 22:01:18
Most places where bards would want to travel, have a wizards guild, or at least a local population of wizards. Waterdeep, Silverymoon, Calimport, pretty much all have wizards guilds. Silverymoon is a very good choice, even though youd have to find a reason for the PCs to have to travel to find a wizard. Perhaps the wizard has prior knowledge of something the PCs are searching for or maybe he knows something the PCs need to find out.

-The Rogue
Tombo Posted - 25 Jun 2004 : 20:34:50
Cool. Chessenta and Cimbar huh? I just recently bought the Forgotten Realms book (can't remember name something like guide to the realms?). Anyway, I'll look that place up.

Thanks!
Tombo Posted - 25 Jun 2004 : 20:04:02
I know, it's tough. That's a problem I've encountered before when writing an adventure. There are all of these things that have to make sense but no perfect spot to fit them in an existing world. Maybe I should start my ideas from the world itself, that way I won't have to squeeze them in.
The part about not being too remote wasn't that important. I threw that one in just because of future adventures. Sometimes it's difficult thinking of a way/reason to get the group half way across Faerun for the next adventure.
So, taking out the not too remote part, any ideas?
Sarta Posted - 25 Jun 2004 : 20:00:56
You may want to look into Chessenta. Bard is one of the more common classes in Chessenta and wizards and sorcerers are rather rare. Wizards are sorcerers are treated with suspician there. However, the arcane college of Cimbar is being rebuilt. Perhaps the adventurers would need to travel to Cimbar to find a wizard.

Sarta
SiriusBlack Posted - 25 Jun 2004 : 19:55:16
quote:
Originally posted by Tombo

I guess I wasn't clear on the wizards part. Actually I need a place that doesn't really have many wizards and in order to find a decent wizard, you would need to travel for through some untamed mountainous regions... The quest will involve the adventurers being hired to basically go fetch help from a mid to high level wizard.

But is also not too remote? Oh, some interesting requirements there that are eliminating anything I can think of.
Tombo Posted - 25 Jun 2004 : 19:40:17
I guess I wasn't clear on the wizards part. Actually I need a place that doesn't really have many wizards and in order to find a decent wizard, you would need to travel for through some untamed mountainous regions... The quest will involve the adventurers being hired to basically go fetch help from a mid to high level wizard.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Jun 2004 : 19:36:00
Well, Silverymoon is known for welcoming bards; there's even a bardic college there. And that place has got more wizards than Talos has lightning bolts... There's mountains not too terribly distant, as well.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000