Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Malorik
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  20:10:41  Show Profile  Visit Malorik's Homepage Send Malorik a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know where i can find any info on waterdeep.

Reality is a nice place to visit, but i wouldn't want to live there.

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  20:32:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malorik

The City of Splendors boxed set and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep would be the two tomes I'd start with.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  20:47:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
City System has a huge map as well. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  22:11:55  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to some basic info:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20010516c

Here's another site that has some Waterdeep info:

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/waterdeep.htm

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  22:15:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine Cunningham's Songs and Swords series also features Waterdeep in most of the novels.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  06:37:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

The City of Splendors boxed set and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep would be the two tomes I'd start with.

Indeed, those are the best sources out there, along with the Elaine Cunningham novels. But to mention some others:

FR1 Waterdeep and the North
FR8 Cities of Mystery (I believe that one has some info; I've not yet acquired it)
Knight of the Living Dead
Waterdeep -- there is both a novel and a module by this name

And I think it's not until next year, but there is a new Waterdeep sourcebook in the works. Also, Ed and Elaine are co-writing a new novel set in Waterdeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  06:39:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
And I think it's not until next year, but there is a new Waterdeep sourcebook in the works. Also, Ed and Elaine are co-writing a new novel set in Waterdeep.

Yes, next year. August is what I heard for the novel's release, though nothing is certain. I'm sure the gaming product will come out around that time as well.
Go to Top of Page

martynq
Seeker

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  11:57:48  Show Profile  Visit martynq's Homepage Send martynq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other sources include:

City System boxed set (most of this made its way into FR1 and City of Splendors, but there are various encounter tables that are quite fun!).
Marco Volo: Departure - this adventure begins in Waterdeep so there is some info here.

The various sources about Undermountain are also pretty useful... one cannot understand the city without understanding the dungeon it is built above (and vice versa).

Martyn
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  13:51:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martynq
The various sources about Undermountain are also pretty useful... one cannot understand the city without understanding the dungeon it is built above (and vice versa).

Martyn

Indeed, the Undermountain products are great for anyone wishing to learn a bit more about Waterdeep.
Go to Top of Page

martynq
Seeker

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  14:27:18  Show Profile  Visit martynq's Homepage Send martynq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... and for completeness, the FR Bibliography Page lists the following magazine articles :

Dragon 128, "Welcome to Waterdeep"
Dragon 211, "I Sing a Song By the Deep-Water Bay"
Dungeon 26, "The Inheritance"
Dungeon 30, "...And a Dozen Eggs"

and some more online articles.

Martyn
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  15:20:15  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martynq

... and for completeness, the FR Bibliography Page lists the following magazine articles :
Martyn

Add to the list:

Dragon #320 Elminster's Guide featuring the Roaring Dragon House

Dragon #227 "Report from Undermountain" by Steven Schend (It details some Waterdeep information)

Dragon #176 for a look at Undermountain's Promeneade

I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can recall for now.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  15:46:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, almost all of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons comic was set in Waterdeep.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  15:57:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How was the quality of these comics? What were some of the stories about? Good Waterdeep lore?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  16:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A section of Silverfall, a memory in Elminster in Hell, scattered scenes in others of Ed's novels, "The Eye of the Dragon" in Realms of Magic, "Nothing But Trouble" in Dragon #238, the "Realms by Night" column...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  16:50:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

How was the quality of these comics? What were some of the stories about? Good Waterdeep lore?

Not great for lore, I'm afraid... Some of the stories were merely okay, but some were quite good -- particularly the Phases of the Moon story arc, which covered Shar and Selūne's fight during the ToT.

That's one event from the comics which has made it into canon lore. All of the main characters (except for Connor, who's dead) and even a couple of the minor characters made it into either sourcebooks or fiction (thanks to Steven Schend and Jeff Grubb). Plus, the major players were also statted out in Dragon.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  17:34:11  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Not great for lore, I'm afraid... Some of the stories were merely okay, but some were quite good -- particularly the Phases of the Moon story arc, which covered Shar and Selūne's fight during the ToT.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  17:44:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
El's Daughter as well.... Gees Sirius you are slacking! And again some one echoes my original post..... Do I have a sign on me that says "Ignore Kuje's replies, but make sure you echo them as well!" :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  17:45:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

To add a bit more info...

The characters from the comic were detailed in Dragon 248. Onyx the Invincible, Timoth Eyesbright, and Vajra Valmeyjar are all down in Tethyr now, as nobles and officers (Lands of Intrigue boxed set). Kyriani stayed in Waterdeep, and is mentioned in a couple of sources. Right off the top of my head, I know she was mentioned in Powers & Pantheons (under the info about the House of the Moon), and was mentioned a couple times in Cloak & Dagger (under the Manshoon Wars and the Tel'Teukiira section).

In my version of Waterdeep, Kyri has since become a Lord of Waterdeep. I think that she's done enough for the city to be considered, and having studied magic with Khelben Arunson and being a personal friend of Selūne is very much in her favor.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  17:51:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

El's Daughter as well.... Gees Sirius you are slacking! And again some one echoes my original post..... Do I have a sign on me that says "Ignore Kuje's replies, but make sure you echo them as well!" :)

Oh, yeah, no one mentioned Elminster's Daughter!

Sorry man, had to go there.

I'm about to start reading that book myself...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  18:02:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

El's Daughter as well.... Gees Sirius you are slacking!

Never heard of it. Who wrote that? Anyone important?

quote:

And again some one echoes my original post..... Do I have a sign on me that says "Ignore Kuje's replies, but make sure you echo them as well!" :)

You replied in this thread??
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  18:04:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll be very curious to hear your thoughts on the novel.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  18:14:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh, yeah, no one mentioned Elminster's Daughter!

Sorry man, had to go there.

Goober!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  18:16:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You replied in this thread??

Bah! Senile's! Walks away mumbling about senile posters....

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2018 :  20:22:29  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Malorik,

Here is a great resource, with most importantly, a wonderful list of cited sources at the bottom!

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Waterdeep

Best regards,

quote:

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000