Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The peace of Eldath
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2004 :  23:37:58  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just how peaceful is Eldath? Supposedly she forbids violence, but in The Jewel of Turmish, clerics of the Quiet One are involved in a battle against undead. Does the stricture allow the priests to fight undead, or are they allowed to participate in battle anyway? The Shadow of the Avatar series mentions all bloodshedding to be taboo, but I'm uncertain.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  02:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe you've just solved your own question-fighting undead is not bloodshedding in D&D.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  02:54:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sourcemaster2

Just how peaceful is Eldath? Supposedly she forbids violence, but in The Jewel of Turmish, clerics of the Quiet One are involved in a battle against undead. Does the stricture allow the priests to fight undead, or are they allowed to participate in battle anyway? The Shadow of the Avatar series mentions all bloodshedding to be taboo, but I'm uncertain.

This deity's dogma in Faiths & Avatars does mention that followers can defend. Would that seem to apply in the situations you mentioned above?
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  03:05:47  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sort of. The undead allowence seems most likely, though, because earlier in the novel, a group of priests set out to attack the main enemy, a mohrg.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  04:12:02  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sort of. The undead allowence seems most likely, though, because earlier in the novel, a group of priests set out to attack the main enemy, a mohrg.

Interesting. I didn't even realize there was a novel that featured an Eldath cleric. Thanks for that information.
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  04:17:29  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The clerics weren't main characters, but they were present in several scenes.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  05:08:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The clerics weren't main characters, but they were present in several scenes.

At least it's something for the Eldath fans. The Jewel of Turmish, is that Mel Odom who wrote that?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  05:24:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
The Jewel of Turmish, is that Mel Odom who wrote that?

Yes.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  05:31:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
Yes.

Thank you for the confirmation. I've never read any of his work. I thought I would get the chance with the conclusion of WOTSQ. Alas, we all know how that turned out.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  06:28:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
Thank you for the confirmation. I've never read any of his work. I thought I would get the chance with the conclusion of WOTSQ. Alas, we all know how that turned out.

No problem, and yes so we do. :) His Threat from the Sea novels are good as well.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  09:37:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall ages ago Ed answering a query on Eldath and why she would have a spell like "wheel of bones" as one of her deity specific ones - not very peaceful and all. IIRC Ed answered that the published FR Eldath is slightly different from how he originally had her in his Realms. Basically, one of her portfolios was 'guardian of groves' and it was considered okay to use bits of old corpse bones to defend groves (thus creating more bones to use next time ...). Someone might have the original Realms-L text somewhere. Faraer?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  19:52:22  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do recall what you are referring to George. And it is not yet in the FAQ or int the lore of Candlekeep yet...? Drat! And I can't find it in my own archives either...

Maybe Tethoril can find it in his (ahem) private scrolls

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 21 Jun 2004 19:54:15
Go to Top of Page

Tethtoril
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  01:32:15  Show Profile  Visit Tethtoril's Homepage Send Tethtoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Maybe Tethoril can find it in his (ahem) private scrolls

Alas, I do not have that piece of lore within my private library.

Tethtoril
Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2018 :  20:21:19  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Sourcemaster2,

I love these kinds of ethical and moral questions. I am huge student of philosophy, specifically ethical systems.

I think an Eldathian priest/priestess, looking to justify through their education via their faith (and possibly further), would look to different ethical systems. Religious ethical systems are predicated upon the written word alone, but there are many that commingle with other normative systems. Do they look at things teleologically, in a utilitarian manner, deontologically, or what I think would be the case the most with Eldathian priests: situational ethics.

The undead are bereft of a self that an Eldathian would consider to be capable of receiving violence in my opinion.

However, look no further than an entry in Silver Marches where it was indicated that both Eldath and Mielikki struck down (killed) individuals who brought fire to the forest. Also, consider for a moment the absolute evil that followers of Silvanus (via the Emerald Enclave specifically) push. Those folk are straight up terrorists who use the most perverted form of teleology to justify their position, and frankly, gone far enough.....an egoist perspective, which I feel many within the Emerald Enclave suffer from, in their deluded sense of not being "evil" (whatever evil is, because lets face it: evil is totally open to interpretation).

Best regards,

quote:

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000