Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 A familiar question...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  17:20:32  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Isn't it strange that so few powerful mages have familiars? Even those that do have them never seem to use the powers they posess. The share spells and touch abilities appear to be ignored, as well as the familiar benifits, though they are more subtle. These abilities can be very useful in the right situation, but I haven't seen them used.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  19:01:08  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Familiars weren't quite as powerful in 1st edition and 2nd edition. Many wizards under those rules opted to not have one, the risk wasn't worth the reward due to the downsides of a familiar dying. To my knowledge, Ed plays under 2nd edition rules and therefore may be a bit less likely to use familiars.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  19:37:00  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also like to see more use of familiars. They can be made very interesting bits of a wizard/sorcerer's character.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  20:25:53  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I completely agree...

I loved Gromph's rat familiar, Kyorli...very well written. I hope that the success of the novel might spur other writers to use familiars in their works....

And it is strange that the Blackstaff, Elminster, and none of the Seven Sisters have them, isn't it?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  20:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

I completely agree...

I loved Gromph's rat familiar, Kyorli...very well written. I hope that the success of the novel might spur other writers to use familiars in their works....

And it is strange that the Blackstaff, Elminster, and none of the Seven Sisters have them, isn't it?

I believe we might just be able to chalk that up to their existence pre-D&D...
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  21:21:39  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slaps himself on the head, regaining the hallowed moron crown...

Of course, Arivia, you are right as always.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  21:38:16  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It may also have something to do with a truly powerful wizard not being dependent on an aid of that sort. Not counting Kelben's staff, the Chosen and most other archmages don't rely on devices or other kinds of assistance. Part of their mystique, I suppose.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  23:31:46  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do not discount the power of the pipe.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  23:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Slaps himself on the head, regaining the hallowed moron crown...

Of course, Arivia, you are right as always.

Of course.

Edited by - Arivia on 19 Jun 2004 23:57:27
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2004 :  04:06:39  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sourcemaster2

It may also have something to do with a truly powerful wizard not being dependent on an aid of that sort. Not counting Kelben's staff, the Chosen and most other archmages don't rely on devices or other kinds of assistance. Part of their mystique, I suppose.

It might also have something to do with the fact that none of the Chosen are less than 600 years old....and that's a long time to ask an animal to stay alive, let alone be useful...even a faerie dragon...

It might also have something to do with Mystra's silver fire coursing through her Chosen--unless the familiar bond was in place and Mystra also accepted the familiar as a Chosen as well, the silver fire might possibly just make the poor creature, no matter how magically prepared or adaptable, explode like a frog in the microwave....

Lastly, while I can't speak authoratatively on the matter, I'd guess that (at least while mortal--i.e. pre-Chosen status), at least Khelben and perhaps Dove or Sylune might have had familiars at one time or another. As the loss of a familiar is rather shattering on many levels, it's not surprising none of them are eager to dredge up the memory; to quote the Blackstaff, "One of the ways one survives for centuries is to not relive one's memories and losses any more often than absolutely necessary."

But that's just one man's opinion...

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2004 :  05:52:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
To quote the Blackstaff, "One of the ways one survives for centuries is to not relive one's memories and losses any more often than absolutely necessary."

Steven, I love it when you channel the Blackstaff.

When are we going to see, "Khelben: The Making of a Grimmer and Angrier Mage" in hardcover?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2004 :  15:56:02  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
To quote the Blackstaff, "One of the ways one survives for centuries is to not relive one's memories and losses any more often than absolutely necessary."

Steven, I love it when you channel the Blackstaff.

When are we going to see, "Khelben: The Making of a Grimmer and Angrier Mage" in hardcover?

-- George Krashos

Beats me, George, though I'd love to see it....maybe with a slightly punchier title. Whaddya think about "From Nameless to Humorless" ?

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2004 :  16:01:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Beats me, George, though I'd love to see it....maybe with a slightly punchier title. Whaddya think about "From Nameless to Humorless" ?

Steven

Who will write the book's introduction? Laeral?
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  01:42:56  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL.

Don't you just love it you have a question that you can't seem to answer, no matter how many nice, expensive FR source books you buy and no matter how much time you spend researching here at Candlekeep...and THEN someone who actually works for the damn company comes on and gives you ten different answers to your question? Making you feel like a moronic, mentally defunct slug?

Really deflates the ego on the ol' brain matter, no?

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  07:20:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In regards to lesser mages, I want more familiars. It makes little sense not to have them.

In regards to the most powerful, things are different. If mages take a familiar, the familiar lives at least as long as the mage's natural life span. That means that the Chosen, had they ever taken a familiar, would have had a long, long time to get used to having a loving familiar. If that familiar died, then would they be quick to replace him/her/it?

Well, how many people rush out and get another pet when a beloved one that's been with you for years dies? My dog, an overgrown puppy of a mutt, died in 1996 from cancer. I've never had an urge to get another dog. No matter what he or she would be like, it wouldn't ever be my Popper.

I'd like a cat, actually. But since I take care of my handicapped, very allergic mother, that won't happen soon. And if that cat ever dies, I don't know if I'd ever get another one. You simply can't replace a loving companion without a lot of time.

And the Chosen have more time than anyone else. Yes, that means more time to get over things. But also, it means more time to put it off. A longer life means a mindset that covers it, and so I think that a Chosen would be likely to keep puting it off. And after a while, would consider that it isn't really necessary to "replace" a lost loved one.

On the other hand, perhaps Elminster has a familiar. He's given that pipe of his a name, after all . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2018 :  20:24:54  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Sourcemaster2,

As I mentioned in a response earlier regarding the use of conjuration spells of a high level nature, I think the same thing is true here: when you sum up all of the abilities of a powerful wizard, they are frighteningly powerful. They just wouldn't make for a great story when you take into account how insanely powerful they are when they utilize their full potential.

Additionally, from a practical standpoint: the author's would need to have a practical experience of using this material to really, and believably, incorporate it into the novel or accessory.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Sourcemaster2

Isn't it strange that so few powerful mages have familiars? Even those that do have them never seem to use the powers they posess. The share spells and touch abilities appear to be ignored, as well as the familiar benifits, though they are more subtle. These abilities can be very useful in the right situation, but I haven't seen them used.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000