Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Nchaser and Thalang
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gothmog
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  00:40:45  Show Profile  Visit Gothmog's Homepage Send Gothmog a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I read something about him from the magic of faerun.
Nchaser says,'it is the only thing that can save us from the coming doom' about Thalang.
Does anyone have informaiton about that 'doom' and thalang?
Of course a piece of information about Nchaser would be useful too.

Anar Caluva Tielyanna

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  02:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This would be a dangling plot hook-all is left for the DM to develop.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  09:41:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scant details on Nchaser can be found in "Pages From the Mages", and the bit about the Thalang in "Magic of Faerun" is exactly what Arivia said it was - a plot hook for eager DMs. I doubt it will be used in any upcoming product but never doubt someone like Eric Boyd's resourcefulness and desperate need to weave together far-flung FR references.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2008 :  03:12:55  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reviving another old thread that looked mysteriously intriguing. You don't suppose this 'coming doom' and Thalang had anything to do with the Spellplague, do you?

Just a thought... Eric, any response to George's challenge after four years?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2008 :  06:06:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Reviving another old thread that looked mysteriously intriguing. You don't suppose this 'coming doom' and Thalang had anything to do with the Spellplague, do you?

Just a thought... Eric, any response to George's challenge after four years?

It's not listed as a Sellplague hint...

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well here's the low down on the "spellplague" before it even was the "spellplague" from Ed himself. Given that the 100 year jump and the Abeir returning thingies are now in the public domain, this post isn't spoiling anything and I thought that the wider forum community might appreciate the insight.

There are actually THREE references, all of which will really only be understandable "after the fact." One of them is the "Smashed the black star" curiosity that several scribes have been so fascinated by, and another is a CYCLOPEDIA heading (yes, just the heading). [Ed was referring to the "Abeir-Toril" heading]

The third, "main" reference is on page 40 of the DM'S SOURCEBOOK, referring to Mellomir's claim of finding an "ancient" and "magical" treasure in the vicinity of the Haunted Halls. The dwarves vanishing over the years were fleeing the Realms through gates (portals, linking to other worlds / alternate Prime Material Planes) that are not in the Haunted Halls, but can be reached through the Halls (I think the maps I gave you at GenCon included the "Whisper's Crypt" level, yes?). The dwarves were departing to avoid the coming Spellplague, and the monsters and adventurers vanishing into and emerging from the Halls were also using the gates.

The original text of this entry had Mellomir referring to an unspecified "message of fire."

The original turnover of FR1 THE HAUNTED HALLS OF EVENINGSTAR included a magical "message" formed by flames dancing in midair that briefly appeared to anyone entering the many-pillared room of Encounter 31, that said this: "A great storm of magic is coming, that will twist or maim many. Beware the Black Star." It was edited out because the TSR designers of the day thought it too substantial to print without providing something of an explanation (that there was no wordcount left in the module to provide, and that would open a can of worms they wanted to avoid). This same message appears in front of the gates used the dwarves, monsters, and adventurers, whenever they are approached from the "Realms" side.

So there you have it. Too mangled and chopped-down for anyone studying the Old Grey Box to recognize without this explanation. Sorry. I DID warn everyone it would be nigh-impossible to spot, beforehand.

By the way, there's something else in FR0 tied to this: Sabirine's Specular. A Spell Engine provides a tiny "shelter" from Spellplague effects around itself, and Sabirine chose to die rather than embrace lichdom because she didn't want to endure years of undeath only to be swept away in the Spellplague, or twisted and maimed and left in a world ravaged by the Spellplague.

The Spellplague term isn't mine (I called it "the Doom," or "the Coming of the Black Star" or "THE Spellstorm"), and I always intended this to be a mythical always-in-the-future bogey-tale.

There you have it.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  13:13:25  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The third, "main" reference is on page 40 of the DM'S SOURCEBOOK, referring to Mellomir's claim of finding an "ancient" and "magical" treasure in the vicinity of the Haunted Halls. The dwarves vanishing over the years were fleeing the Realms through gates (portals, linking to other worlds / alternate Prime Material Planes) that are not in the Haunted Halls, but can be reached through the Halls (I think the maps I gave you at GenCon included the "Whisper's Crypt" level, yes?).

Is that mean that we can have a map of Whisper's Crypt copyright George Krashos ?
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  07:08:10  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be nice, Marco Volo... what I'd really like, though, is a copy of the entire original Ed-written Haunted Halls, not the flimsy little "dungeon level 1" thing that was published for 2nd edition. Oh, and I'd love for all the 1E and 2E FR books and Dragon magazines that I own to be with me where I live. There are other things I'd like too, but at least getting my gaming library moved has the slightest chance of happening.

Edit: Back on topic: I just re-read that bit from Magic of Faerun; it's totally a Sellplague hint, Wooly. Wizards that powerful don't disappear for years, then reappear looking scared out of their minds for anything less than a vision of the Sellplague. It has given me an idea for a time-travel campaign, tho; events as long ago as the Fall of Netheril or the Fall of Myth Drannor are locked into the timestream and can't be changed, but something like the Sellplague should be completely reversible or avoidable, especially pre-time-jump. I would have my PCs sent back to help Halaster with whatever ritual it was that he was attempting when he atomized his soul, and possibly also to help Szass Tam complete his binding of Eltab; I suspect that may have helped to prevent the Sellplague too, albeit with nasty side-effects for Tam's enemies. As much as I hate what it did to Faerun, I love what the Sellplague has done for my creative processes. Or maybe I'm not being all that inspired, and it really was that easy to make Faerun more interesting without blowing it up. Either way, it's happened, and there's some interesting background lore to accompany it, which means that there are all kinds of ways to prevent or reverse it, if one has magic that's powerful enough.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 09 Nov 2009 07:24:03
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  05:32:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo
Is that mean that we can have a map of Whisper's Crypt copyright George Krashos ?

Hehe. No. I've got a p/copy of Ed's hand-drawn graph paper original and it's mine, all mine .... mwahahahaha. Ahem. Given that there was an FR product attached to this map (even if they didn't use it) I'm guessing that it really belongs to TSR/WotC and so dissemination to the fanbase is likely a no no.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  17:59:15  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used this plot once, Thalang got me thinking of the Leng, then I involved the Old Ones of Illusk, the Covenant and planar networks of multiple Hosttowers.

Anyway it's better for such plots to stay mysterious.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2011 :  18:25:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nchaser (27th level Mage in 2E) is mentioned in The North: AGuide to the Savage Frontier, in the Wilderness book pg 45 - it states he is living on an island of ice lying high above the polar cap (this is beyond the Spine of the World).
Any new updated info on what is occuring with this old powerful wizard?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  19:54:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand he has taken to consuming Tiger's Blood and spends all his time having wild parties.

@GK - you have maps I have never seen? {bright green with jealousy}

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2011 :  07:41:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
@GK - you have maps I have never seen? {bright green with jealousy}

I am a fortunate soul and Ed is a generous one. A gift of lore and p/copies of his personally drawn maps and illustrations was a small part of the wonder that was meeting him for the first time at GEN-CON. Have to get there again if only to spend time with farflung friends.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  02:45:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hope to see you there this year, George.

And hope to find a friendly and generous Ed.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  10:28:02  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bleh! I don't get to go to Gencon and see these marvels and speak to deities

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000