Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Vault of Ages
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fundin
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  03:17:57  Show Profile Send Fundin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can anyone tell me or point the way toward a discussion about what may have happened to the treasues in the vault of ages?

Lost Empires quotes "Year of the Many Floods: The Vault of Ages, where the elves had stored many of the oldest and greatest treasures of Cormanthyr, is found empty."

My thanks in advance.

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  04:46:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only Vault of (the) Ages I'm aware of is a (pretty interesting) vintage SF book written by Poul Anderson, 1952. It involved a "time vault" (what we would call a "time capsule"), basically a repository of "magic" artifacts from some past era ... perhaps the D&D VoA was inspired by this novel?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  05:18:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fundin's referring to the Vault of Ages in Cormanthyr, as briefly detailed in various sources like Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves.

I don't immediately recall any elaborate focus in the lore about what happened to most of it's many treasures. The various elven sourcebooks, like C:EoE, offers some tantalising tidbits. And I recall Ed briefly touching on this during his discussion of the Srinshee in The Annotated Elminster -- since she once acted as a Wardnorn for the Vault.

This actually might be one for Ed, or even Steven Schend.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  19:04:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You jogged my memory Sage.

Isn't the Vault of Ages the EXACT place that Elminster was 'locked-up in' when he first arrived in Myth Drannor? If so (and I believe it was), there are some decent descriptions of stuff (and maybe the place itself) in that novel.

Looking over the rest of the timeline, I would assume it had something to do with the Srinshee, since she herself had only left four years previous under bad circumstances, and she was the gaurdian of the vault; it could have been empty for those four years before someone made the discovery, considering both the Coronal and the Srinshee - the ones needed for permission - were absent.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2011 :  19:35:47  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Markus, you are correct. Descriptions and some powers are given on 2 or 3 items.
I also have marked the Srinshee as the elf who took everything from the Vaults, as she
guessed how the time after Coronals was going to be. I have her returning everything
after she brings back the Ruler's Blade and the Diamond Tower in 1377 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Fundin
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  03:57:11  Show Profile Send Fundin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of that. I thought that the Srinshee was probably responsible as well. The Coronal and a few of the high mages of court were the only other people that could gain entry to the vault, is that correct? I know that at least one maybe two of their number were killed in the dust up with Elminster and one was destroyed by the Srinshee herself when he made the attempt on her life. Were there others that could have gained entry to the Vault of Ages without the express permission of the Srinshee or Eltargrim?

Edited by - Fundin on 19 Mar 2011 03:58:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000