Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The wailing Dwarf
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  10:35:41  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everybody,

today I would like to find all information about the Wailing Dwarf monument.

So far I could get info as follows, according from 2e lands of intrigue:
- located at the eastern peak of the southern troll mts
- was built in -5350 to honour Karlyn Kuldelver and his house after the battle of Karlyn's Vale, were the last big giants tribe of the giants Plains was slaughtered ( over 5.000 dead giants )

- stands over 4.000 feet tall
- has a whole dwarven city inside
- is currently inhabited by trolls ( or a troll - kingdom??? )
- rumours say that three dark nagas have overtaken the place recently ( have to find source for this again )
- at least four adventuring parties have faded in its depths in the recent past

I am looking forward to all the information you can provide.
especially if there has been any official content or even a map of the city inside or the cave system.

EDIT:
thanks Krashos.
- The troll king is actually a maur brb 3, ruling half a dozen troll tribes

Edited by - Jakuta Khan on 13 Mar 2011 11:36:56

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  11:02:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most recent information was provided in the 3E sourcebok "Lost Empires of Faerūn" (p.118) while the origimnal information on the place was found in FR11 "Dwarves Deep" (p.10). That's pretty much all I can recall on the place - don't think it got a further write up in "Lands of Intrigue".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  05:29:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wailing Dwarf

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Mar 2011 05:29:28
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  06:46:21  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@markustay,

that was SO predictable.....

thanks for the link, feeling a little dumb myself, though hehe
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  10:22:50  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Post Spellplague (from the 4E FRCG):
The Wailing Dwarf: An enormous vertical slab of rock 4,000 feet high in the western portion of the Troll Mountains is carved to resemble a dwarf. Named because of the noise of the wind blowing through its hollow eyes, ears, and mouth, it marks the site of an abandoned dwarven city. In more recent times, the underground ruin was controlled by an unusually clever tribe of trolls. A newer, more vicious force has taken over the site, however, slaughtering the trolls. During the last decade, no creature entering the Wailing Dwarf has returned to tell what new monstrosity hides in the fallen city.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  10:27:01  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also on a side note, I had a 3E campaign titled Wailing Dwarf, which was 4 PC dwarves (one Fighter/Dwarven Defender, 1 Barbarian/Battlerager, 1 Cleric of Moradin/Runecaster and 1 Wizard/something else I forget, plus an NPC human female who took a multiclass that gives properties of another race (took dwarf of course) all brothers (the fighter and wizard were Thunderblessing Twins) looking for their homeland of the Wailing Dwarf to reclaim it. The campaign laster 4 years or so but they never got there (busy with another major quest, collecting the Daggers of Ochir Naal (sp?) and they were level 14 I think and real life had gotten in the way of the campaign. I hope to go back to it at some point in time to get everything done

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  11:37:25  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@alisttair,

as the entry linked by Markustay stated, it is now controlled by guardian nagas who killed off the trolls.

in addition there are remnants of the troll kingdom inside the city below and also , as stated of course the ghosts of the old dwarven inhabitants.

I wouldbe highly interested if you have prepared any detailed info / mapping of the interior.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  17:12:13  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakuta Khan

@alisttair,

as the entry linked by Markustay stated, it is now controlled by guardian nagas who killed off the trolls.

in addition there are remnants of the troll kingdom inside the city below and also , as stated of course the ghosts of the old dwarven inhabitants.

I wouldbe highly interested if you have prepared any detailed info / mapping of the interior.

I can't access that link from my computer....but I think that's pre-spellplague stuff but i forget the details of the article anyways. Didn't get a chance to map it yet

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2011 :  08:05:26  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@alisttair, too bad you have no information....

as I am running the campaign before spellplague, this would not matter too much....

but the guardian nagas do NOT make the entry to the town any easier.... nasty things they are...
Go to Top of Page

Andrekan
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  07:36:44  Show Profile Send Andrekan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wailing Dwarf was possibly built by the Oghrann. Their realm lay in the Plain of Tun and it's surrounding Mountains, bordering the elven lands in the north near Evereska and signs found as far south as the deep caverns in the Sunset Mountains. They also were in the Stormhorns, Dark Wind Pass. Far Hills and Easting Peak. These lands were known by the Dwarves of that time as 'ol Araubarak,' the Great Shield.

There is no mention of the Wailing Dwarf yet it mentions their first and greatest king Thordbard Firebeard. As the years progressed, wars with numerous enemies, (trolls were mentioned among many more including nomadic humans) along with disease their kingdom fell before many of the Northern dwarf kingdoms. Many believe they fell because of low population numbers defending such a vast territory. Dwarf Elders as well as human sages remember little of the Oghrann Realm...

There was nothing I could find in Lost Empires. This is a brief recount from Dwarves Deep in The Lost Kingdoms section.

"Those two talk only of drink, riches, women, brawling, and magic, so ye've a one in five chance..." Quote from "Elminster in Hell"
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  12:19:32  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@andrekan, thank you for your information, but the wailing dwarf and its origins are described in the 2e "Lands of Intrigue" int eh history section of book 1.

please look at my first post in thsi thread, there I have given the according pages.
Go to Top of Page

Andrekan
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2011 :  13:46:37  Show Profile Send Andrekan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, it belonged to Shanatar, that is the most extensive reference.

"Those two talk only of drink, riches, women, brawling, and magic, so ye've a one in five chance..." Quote from "Elminster in Hell"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  23:01:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not anything FR, but I like this pic, and I remember how much I loved this region in WoW. I picture dwarves building a lot of stuff like that in ages past.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Mar 2011 23:01:44
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  23:35:19  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@markustay,

since WHEN EXACTLY to dwarves crossbreed with Tuscers???

the dwarves in your pic definately have tusks.....
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  01:43:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Not anything FR, but I like this pic, and I remember how much I loved this region in WoW. I picture dwarves building a lot of stuff like that in ages past.

Hhehehe, to bad Deathwing blew it up in Cataclysm and drained the lake, so now it's a barren lake. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2011 :  17:12:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
REALLY?

I haven't played since '60' was the level-cap. Its been awhile.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000