Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The wailing Dwarf

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jakuta Khan Posted - 13 Mar 2011 : 10:35:41
Hello everybody,

today I would like to find all information about the Wailing Dwarf monument.

So far I could get info as follows, according from 2e lands of intrigue:
- located at the eastern peak of the southern troll mts
- was built in -5350 to honour Karlyn Kuldelver and his house after the battle of Karlyn's Vale, were the last big giants tribe of the giants Plains was slaughtered ( over 5.000 dead giants )

- stands over 4.000 feet tall
- has a whole dwarven city inside
- is currently inhabited by trolls ( or a troll - kingdom??? )
- rumours say that three dark nagas have overtaken the place recently ( have to find source for this again )
- at least four adventuring parties have faded in its depths in the recent past

I am looking forward to all the information you can provide.
especially if there has been any official content or even a map of the city inside or the cave system.

EDIT:
thanks Krashos.
- The troll king is actually a maur brb 3, ruling half a dozen troll tribes
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 20 Mar 2011 : 17:12:09
REALLY?

I haven't played since '60' was the level-cap. Its been awhile.
Kuje Posted - 20 Mar 2011 : 01:43:40
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Not anything FR, but I like this pic, and I remember how much I loved this region in WoW. I picture dwarves building a lot of stuff like that in ages past.

Hhehehe, to bad Deathwing blew it up in Cataclysm and drained the lake, so now it's a barren lake. :)
Jakuta Khan Posted - 19 Mar 2011 : 23:35:19
@markustay,

since WHEN EXACTLY to dwarves crossbreed with Tuscers???

the dwarves in your pic definately have tusks.....
Markustay Posted - 19 Mar 2011 : 23:01:26
Not anything FR, but I like this pic, and I remember how much I loved this region in WoW. I picture dwarves building a lot of stuff like that in ages past.
Andrekan Posted - 17 Mar 2011 : 13:46:37
Ah, it belonged to Shanatar, that is the most extensive reference.
Jakuta Khan Posted - 17 Mar 2011 : 12:19:32
@andrekan, thank you for your information, but the wailing dwarf and its origins are described in the 2e "Lands of Intrigue" int eh history section of book 1.

please look at my first post in thsi thread, there I have given the according pages.
Andrekan Posted - 17 Mar 2011 : 07:36:44
The Wailing Dwarf was possibly built by the Oghrann. Their realm lay in the Plain of Tun and it's surrounding Mountains, bordering the elven lands in the north near Evereska and signs found as far south as the deep caverns in the Sunset Mountains. They also were in the Stormhorns, Dark Wind Pass. Far Hills and Easting Peak. These lands were known by the Dwarves of that time as 'ol Araubarak,' the Great Shield.

There is no mention of the Wailing Dwarf yet it mentions their first and greatest king Thordbard Firebeard. As the years progressed, wars with numerous enemies, (trolls were mentioned among many more including nomadic humans) along with disease their kingdom fell before many of the Northern dwarf kingdoms. Many believe they fell because of low population numbers defending such a vast territory. Dwarf Elders as well as human sages remember little of the Oghrann Realm...

There was nothing I could find in Lost Empires. This is a brief recount from Dwarves Deep in The Lost Kingdoms section.
Jakuta Khan Posted - 16 Mar 2011 : 08:05:26
@alisttair, too bad you have no information....

as I am running the campaign before spellplague, this would not matter too much....

but the guardian nagas do NOT make the entry to the town any easier.... nasty things they are...
Alisttair Posted - 14 Mar 2011 : 17:12:13
quote:
Originally posted by Jakuta Khan

@alisttair,

as the entry linked by Markustay stated, it is now controlled by guardian nagas who killed off the trolls.

in addition there are remnants of the troll kingdom inside the city below and also , as stated of course the ghosts of the old dwarven inhabitants.

I wouldbe highly interested if you have prepared any detailed info / mapping of the interior.

I can't access that link from my computer....but I think that's pre-spellplague stuff but i forget the details of the article anyways. Didn't get a chance to map it yet
Jakuta Khan Posted - 14 Mar 2011 : 11:37:25
@alisttair,

as the entry linked by Markustay stated, it is now controlled by guardian nagas who killed off the trolls.

in addition there are remnants of the troll kingdom inside the city below and also , as stated of course the ghosts of the old dwarven inhabitants.

I wouldbe highly interested if you have prepared any detailed info / mapping of the interior.

Alisttair Posted - 14 Mar 2011 : 10:27:01
Also on a side note, I had a 3E campaign titled Wailing Dwarf, which was 4 PC dwarves (one Fighter/Dwarven Defender, 1 Barbarian/Battlerager, 1 Cleric of Moradin/Runecaster and 1 Wizard/something else I forget, plus an NPC human female who took a multiclass that gives properties of another race (took dwarf of course) all brothers (the fighter and wizard were Thunderblessing Twins) looking for their homeland of the Wailing Dwarf to reclaim it. The campaign laster 4 years or so but they never got there (busy with another major quest, collecting the Daggers of Ochir Naal (sp?) and they were level 14 I think and real life had gotten in the way of the campaign. I hope to go back to it at some point in time to get everything done
Alisttair Posted - 14 Mar 2011 : 10:22:50
Post Spellplague (from the 4E FRCG):
The Wailing Dwarf: An enormous vertical slab of rock 4,000 feet high in the western portion of the Troll Mountains is carved to resemble a dwarf. Named because of the noise of the wind blowing through its hollow eyes, ears, and mouth, it marks the site of an abandoned dwarven city. In more recent times, the underground ruin was controlled by an unusually clever tribe of trolls. A newer, more vicious force has taken over the site, however, slaughtering the trolls. During the last decade, no creature entering the Wailing Dwarf has returned to tell what new monstrosity hides in the fallen city.

Jakuta Khan Posted - 14 Mar 2011 : 06:46:21
@markustay,

that was SO predictable.....

thanks for the link, feeling a little dumb myself, though hehe
Markustay Posted - 14 Mar 2011 : 05:29:01
The Wailing Dwarf
George Krashos Posted - 13 Mar 2011 : 11:02:57
The most recent information was provided in the 3E sourcebok "Lost Empires of Faerūn" (p.118) while the origimnal information on the place was found in FR11 "Dwarves Deep" (p.10). That's pretty much all I can recall on the place - don't think it got a further write up in "Lands of Intrigue".

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000