Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Highest peaks in Toril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ironstar
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  13:17:20  Show Profile Send Ironstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As a fascinated mountain traveler, I'm interested in knowing what might be the highest mountain peaks in all of Toril and where they're located?

DBG
Acolyte

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  13:41:45  Show Profile Send DBG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a guess I would say they would be in the Spine of the World.
I'm not sure of any canon though.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  13:51:39  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Savage Frontier and The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier, it is stated that the Spine of the World mountains have the (or some of the, I forget the exact wording) highest peaks in Faerūun (or Toril).

The Star Mounts and the Lost Peaks are pretty high as well I believe, but not the same as some parts of the Spine of the World.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ironstar
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  14:32:12  Show Profile Send Ironstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I thought so as well. I still wonder about the other continents such as Anchorome...

Edited by - Ironstar on 10 Mar 2011 14:33:08
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  14:36:27  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah not sure about the other continents.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
194 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  19:27:28  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As there is are the Yehimal mountains (which look pretty massiv and high in FR Atlas), maybe there is also a Mount Est-Ever?
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  19:27:50  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about the Yehimals? They seem to be the Torilian counterpart of the Himalayans...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  20:50:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mount Greenwood, of course.

On a semi-related topic, I've wondered before about mountain peaks in the vicinity of old Netheril. Many of them (presumably chosen from among the larger specimens) were magically uprouted or sliced in half, flipped over, and turned into floating cities. This means that many crashed-landed half-mountains (or piles of rubble) must dot the landscape. It also means there must be some number (hundreds?) of flattened mountaintops which could serve as ideal construction sites.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  22:08:38  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another semi-related question. Are there any grandiose mountains on Evermeet? I know about the Eagle and Silver Hills but don't recall anything with real altitude.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2011 :  23:46:51  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Highest mountain, that would be the pile of questions for Ed
in his basement from us all these years.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2011 :  19:45:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spine of the World for Faerūn-proper, but I believe the Yehimals are higher.

The Orsraun chain comes close (in height) to the SotW as well, IIRC.

Outside of Faerūn, there are several humongous chains, including the one that runs down the center of Koryo (which extends deep into the frozen wastes), and also the one in Osse (which can be seen on the FRIA maps). Anchorme and Maztica have some large chains as well, but I don't think they are nearly so high (I think those chains are far older, existing pre-Sundering, and have been weathered-down by time).
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Highest mountain, that would be the pile of questions for Ed
in his basement from us all these years.
Nope.

That particular geographic wonder was surpassed some time ago by Sage's 'To Do' list.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Mar 2011 19:47:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000