Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Planes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

aragorn II
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  19:48:50  Show Profile  Visit aragorn II's Homepage Send aragorn II a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What are the names and alignments of all of the outer planes of existance. All I know is that the Abyss is Chaotic Evil and the Nine Hells is Lawful Evil. I saw something about it in 1st Edition Legends & Lore about a year ago.

There can be only one.

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  20:27:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Great Wheel(3e, from the MotP):
The Heroic Domains of Ysgard(CG)
The Ever-Changing Chaos of Limbo(CN)
Windswept Depths of Pandemonium(CN/E, not sure)
The Infinite Layers of the Abyss(CE)
Tarterian Depths of Carceri(NE)
Gray Waste of Hades(NE)
Bleak Eternity of Gehenna(NE)
Nine Hells of Baator(LE)
Infernal Battlefield of Acheron(LE)
Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus(LN)
Peaceable Kingdoms of Arcadia(LG)
Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia(NG)
Twin Paradises of Bytopia(CG)
Blessed Fields of Elysium(CG)
Wilderness of the Beastlands(CN)
Olympian Glades of Arborea(CG)
Concordant Domain of the Outlands(N)

I'll type up the FR planes once my fingers stop hurting.
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  20:36:11  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Arivia: stop hurting your fingers, here´s the great ring from 2nd edition:

http://i.domaindlx.com/chefseehund/GREATRING.JPG
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  20:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

@Arivia: stop hurting your fingers, here´s the great ring from 2nd edition:

http://i.domaindlx.com/chefseehund/GREATRING.JPG

That seems to have come directly out of one of the later PS books, and I think Sigil's slightly off, but at least it shows the gate towns, too. *cracks open the PGtF* This still needs to be addressed, however...
Go to Top of Page

aragorn II
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  20:43:59  Show Profile  Visit aragorn II's Homepage Send aragorn II a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this somewhere. Is it right?
Lawful Good Mount Celestia
The Twin Paradises
Neutral Good Elysium
Happy Hunting Grounds
Chaotic Good Mount Olympus
Gladsheim
Chaotic Neutral Limbo
Pandemonium
Chaotic Evil The Abyss
Tartarus
Neutral Evil The Grey Waste
Gehenna
Lawful Evil The Nine Hells
Acheron
Lawful Neutral Nirvana
Arcadia
True Neutral Concordant Opposition

There can be only one.

Edited by - aragorn II on 12 Jun 2004 20:46:35
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  20:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aragorn II

The Twin Paradises
Neutral Good Elysium
Happy Hunting Grounds
Gladsheim
Chaotic Neutral Limbo
Pandemonium
Chaotic Evil The Abyss
Tartarus
Gehenna
Acheron
Lawful Neutral Nirvana
Arcadia

Sort of. Formatting like that doesn't work in the forums, though-I only got to see it when quoting your post. It's also outdated-The Outlands haven't been called Concordant Opposition for a long time.
Go to Top of Page

aragorn II
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  20:49:09  Show Profile  Visit aragorn II's Homepage Send aragorn II a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing is, I only use 1st and 2nd Edition. The names of the planes I got are I think from Deities & Demigods.

There can be only one.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  20:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The thing is, I only use 1st and 2nd Edition. The names of the planes I got are I think from Deities & Demigods.

Then I can stop typing the 3e Realms planes out...Your list likely comes from the later 2e DMGs, or from the original MotP. That'll work, assuming you're not using Planescape-if you are, use the diagram Tauster provided.
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2004 :  21:20:23  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...in case you want some more alternative planes, try that one:
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=175785

Go to Top of Page

aragorn II
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2004 :  22:22:57  Show Profile  Visit aragorn II's Homepage Send aragorn II a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the link, tauster.

There can be only one.
Go to Top of Page

aragorn II
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  18:12:10  Show Profile  Visit aragorn II's Homepage Send aragorn II a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about the Inner Planes? How do they relate to each other?

There can be only one.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  19:03:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What about the Inner Planes? How do they relate to each other?

Could you be a little more specific on what you wish to know?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 14 Jun 2004 19:04:21
Go to Top of Page

aragorn II
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2004 :  21:30:45  Show Profile  Visit aragorn II's Homepage Send aragorn II a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. First there is the Positive Energy Plane. Next, there is the Positive Quasi-Elemental Planes. Lightning corrsponds to Air, Steam corrsponds to Water, Radiance corrsponds to Fire, and Minerals corrsponds to Earth. Then, there is the Elemental and Para-Elemental Planes. Below that, there is the Negative Quasi-Elemental Planes, with Vacuum corrsponding to Air, Salt corrsponding to Water, Ash corrsponding to Fire, and Dust corrsponding to Earth. Finally, there is the Negative Energy Plane.

There can be only one.

Edited by - aragorn II on 15 Jun 2004 20:05:01
Go to Top of Page

aragorn II
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  20:12:12  Show Profile  Visit aragorn II's Homepage Send aragorn II a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My question is, how are the Elemental Planes and the Para-Elemental Planes related?

There can be only one.

Edited by - aragorn II on 17 Jun 2004 21:10:04
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2004 :  22:47:26  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My impression has always been that the para-elemental planes are where two elemental planes sort of slop together. They aren't really planes in and of themselves, just the rather fuzzy boundaries between two real planes and populated by stuff from both. Over time, they have developed their own eco-systems.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

aragorn II
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  15:48:06  Show Profile  Visit aragorn II's Homepage Send aragorn II a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, Sarta.

There can be only one.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  08:05:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Twin Paradises
Neutral Good Elysium
Happy Hunting Grounds
Gladsheim
Chaotic Neutral Limbo
Pandemonium
Chaotic Evil The Abyss
Tartarus
Gehenna
Acheron
Lawful Neutral Nirvana
Arcadia

This is essentially how Gary Gygax first envisioned the planes. Most of these names for the Outer Planes and the Outlands are the direct ancestors of what would later become the standard with the publication of the 2e Manual of the Planes, and the establishment of the [iPlanescape[/i] campaign setting.

The names were changed to their present form (in 3e MotP) when the first designs for the PS setting were determined. It has been suggested that Gygax protested the changes, but there has never been any evidence to support those claims.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  08:09:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My question is, how are the Elemental Planes and the Para-Elemental Planes related?

The para-elemental planes are simply combinations of two adjacent inner planes. They are further related by the fact that both the elemental and para-elemental planes have both permanent and stable two-way vortices.

The quasi-elemental planes are simply the result of an inner plane being combined with either the Positive or Negative Energy plane. However, I should point out that the quasi planes were dropped with the establishment of the 3e cosmology.

The quasi planes are purely a PS creation. They are fully detailed, along with the other inner planes (including the para-elemental) in the 2e PS tome The Innner Planes.

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  14:25:41  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage: I know that there was a Mineral Quasi-Elemental Lord - Crystalle - and that there were four Para-Elemental Lords and eight Elemental Lords, but were there Elemental Lords of the other Quasi-Elemental planes? If so do you know their names?
Something I've been curious about for a while. Thanks.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  14:30:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They've never been detailed specifically, but they are known to exist. For the most part, the rule of the quasi-elemental planes has been given over to the archomentals. Archomentals can best be explained as being something more than the average elemental, but less than a deity.

However, these beings of the quasi-planes can only be included if you "allow" the possibility of the quasi-planes in your 3e cosmology. Otherwise, they simply don't exist.

If you want to know more about these archomentals, just let me know.

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  19:28:23  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be great - you can e-mail me or post it here. Either is good. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  19:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

That would be great - you can e-mail me or post it here. Either is good. Thanks.

I'll see what I've got, also.
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  13:25:22  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Arivia.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  11:08:04  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

The archomentals were detailed in the 2e Planescape Monstrous Compendium Volume III. This monster book especially details all the creatures of the Inner Planes.

I'm looking at the Sage's copy now, and there's some particularly interesting information regarding the archomentals. Perhaps I could summarise it and send it to you via ethereal mail? If would save you waiting for the Sage since I know he's busy with other projects at the moment.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  11:09:46  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just as an additional, I might also send you some information on the 'Fundamentals'. I'm recall that they are just as important as the archomentals. I'll see what I can dig up.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  12:47:20  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! So many people wishing to help me out! I don't mind if you or Sage send it - I realise you are both busy folk. But anything you can send/post will be well-received! :)

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  02:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I have "extra" some free time at the moment since I've now just finished my exams. So, I'll be visiting here rather regularly over the next couple of weeks.

I'll see about summarising those details today.

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  19:49:35  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I too have recently finished exams - isn't the feeling that you'll not have to go back and study some of those things again great!?

I was doing some more research on this - and found that the correct term for 'Elemental Lords' is indeed archomentals (Ogremoch and co.) However, the archomentals of the para-elemental planes are listed as Demipowers in my listings. This is very odd, seeing as they would be likely be less powerful than core archomentals. If you find an answer to this along with your other details, please send it my way.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  10:06:14  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which listings are these, Sarelle? It doesn't sound like an official source.

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  11:06:56  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It isn't official, but I believe its taken from official Planescape sources (On Hallowed Ground, for one). Its possible it is a mistake or an assumption.

My No.1 source for all things Planescape (or Deific): A Tiefling's Exultation

Edited by - Sarelle on 28 Jun 2004 11:07:23
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  14:24:35  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good resource, but nowhere near complete. Check out the Sage's Planewalker link in his signature. It's the "official" site for all things Planescape. Plus, the site has a score of other fantastic planar links, located throughout the ethereal.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000