Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Planes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
aragorn II Posted - 12 Jun 2004 : 19:48:50
What are the names and alignments of all of the outer planes of existance. All I know is that the Abyss is Chaotic Evil and the Nine Hells is Lawful Evil. I saw something about it in 1st Edition Legends & Lore about a year ago.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Jul 2004 : 15:48:46
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by brjr2001i relooked at my diety's book and i just now realize i have just asked a noob question
There's nothing wrong with asking a "noob" question. Afterall, we all started in much the same way...

I was about to say essentially the same thing. At some point, everyone on this site was new -- at least to here, if not to posting on forums in general. Heck, I myself have only been here for a little over 4 months.
The Sage Posted - 14 Jul 2004 : 12:58:05
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by brjr2001

What is about the 9 hells what do they symbolize?

Um...the Hells.

Dante's Inferno should hold what you seek.

Arivia's suggestion is essentially correct. However, there has been (from time to time) alternate views on what exactly the Nine Hells and their Devil Lords actually represent. Once you've read through a few pages of Dante's hellish work, let me know, and I'll introduce you to a couple...

quote:
Originally posted by brjr2001i relooked at my diety's book and i just now realize i have just asked a noob question
There's nothing wrong with asking a "noob" question. Afterall, we all started in much the same way...
brjr2001 Posted - 14 Jul 2004 : 05:16:51
the song or the actual place? lol j/k i relooked at my diety's book and i just now realize i have just asked a noob question
Arivia Posted - 14 Jul 2004 : 04:38:02
quote:
Originally posted by brjr2001

Um...the Hells.

Dante's Inferno should hold what you seek.
brjr2001 Posted - 14 Jul 2004 : 04:06:18
AlacLuin Posted - 13 Jul 2004 : 00:28:53
Are we talking 3.* ed cosmology in general, or FR specific?
As there is a mention in RttToEE adventure of the plane of Vacuum.
aragorn II Posted - 12 Jul 2004 : 23:02:35
Thank you very much, Sage and Lady K.
Lady Kazandra Posted - 09 Jul 2004 : 13:58:06
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Positive/Fire------Radiance

We know that this quasi-plane still has some place in the 3e cosmology. The Plane of Radiance has now been detailed as a transitive plane in Dragon #321. Of course, this begs the question... will the other quasi-planes receive similar 3e treatment?
The Sage Posted - 09 Jul 2004 : 11:30:16
Yes, those are correct. You now have the basic conception of the elemental planes down.

Don't forget about the quasi-planes though, even given the WotC 3e cosmology. The quasi planes exist, as long as there's elemental planes and the energy planes.

The quasi planes are as follows:

Positive/Earth-----Mineral
Positive/Water----Steam
Positive/Air-------Lightning
Positive/Fire------Radiance

Negative/Earth-----Dust
Negative/Water----Salt
Negative/Air-------Vacuum
Negative/Fire------Ash
aragorn II Posted - 08 Jul 2004 : 19:04:30
Is this correct? The Elemental Planes are Fire, Earth, Water, and Air. The Para-elemental planes are Magma, Ooze, Ice, and Smoke. Magma is in between Fire and Earth; Ooze is between Earth and Water. Ice is between Water and Air, and Smoke is in between Air and Fire.
The Sage Posted - 04 Jul 2004 : 03:41:14
Yes. Lady K. should have something for you soon. She's just a little busy right now with other plans (and plots)...
Sarelle Posted - 03 Jul 2004 : 21:08:27
Anything you want to post is fine - I'll lap it up - but I am most interested in the archomentals.
The Sage Posted - 03 Jul 2004 : 06:19:00
Sarelle, I may also post some material on the elemental planes that I've used for the development of my PbeM. It's mostly homebrew, but it conforms with all established PS material.

Are you interested?
Lady Kazandra Posted - 28 Jun 2004 : 14:24:35
That's a good resource, but nowhere near complete. Check out the Sage's Planewalker link in his signature. It's the "official" site for all things Planescape. Plus, the site has a score of other fantastic planar links, located throughout the ethereal.
Sarelle Posted - 28 Jun 2004 : 11:06:56
It isn't official, but I believe its taken from official Planescape sources (On Hallowed Ground, for one). Its possible it is a mistake or an assumption.

My No.1 source for all things Planescape (or Deific): A Tiefling's Exultation
Lady Kazandra Posted - 28 Jun 2004 : 10:06:14
Which listings are these, Sarelle? It doesn't sound like an official source.
Sarelle Posted - 26 Jun 2004 : 19:49:35
Thanks. I too have recently finished exams - isn't the feeling that you'll not have to go back and study some of those things again great!?

I was doing some more research on this - and found that the correct term for 'Elemental Lords' is indeed archomentals (Ogremoch and co.) However, the archomentals of the para-elemental planes are listed as Demipowers in my listings. This is very odd, seeing as they would be likely be less powerful than core archomentals. If you find an answer to this along with your other details, please send it my way.
Lady Kazandra Posted - 26 Jun 2004 : 02:57:46
Actually, I have "extra" some free time at the moment since I've now just finished my exams. So, I'll be visiting here rather regularly over the next couple of weeks.

I'll see about summarising those details today.
Sarelle Posted - 25 Jun 2004 : 12:47:20
Wow! So many people wishing to help me out! I don't mind if you or Sage send it - I realise you are both busy folk. But anything you can send/post will be well-received! :)
Lady Kazandra Posted - 25 Jun 2004 : 11:09:46
Just as an additional, I might also send you some information on the 'Fundamentals'. I'm recall that they are just as important as the archomentals. I'll see what I can dig up.
Lady Kazandra Posted - 25 Jun 2004 : 11:08:04
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

That would be great - you can e-mail me or post it here. Either is good. Thanks.

The archomentals were detailed in the 2e Planescape Monstrous Compendium Volume III. This monster book especially details all the creatures of the Inner Planes.

I'm looking at the Sage's copy now, and there's some particularly interesting information regarding the archomentals. Perhaps I could summarise it and send it to you via ethereal mail? If would save you waiting for the Sage since I know he's busy with other projects at the moment.
Sarelle Posted - 24 Jun 2004 : 13:25:22
Thanks Arivia.
Arivia Posted - 23 Jun 2004 : 19:37:35
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

That would be great - you can e-mail me or post it here. Either is good. Thanks.

I'll see what I've got, also.
Sarelle Posted - 23 Jun 2004 : 19:28:23
The Sage Posted - 23 Jun 2004 : 14:30:10
They've never been detailed specifically, but they are known to exist. For the most part, the rule of the quasi-elemental planes has been given over to the archomentals. Archomentals can best be explained as being something more than the average elemental, but less than a deity.

However, these beings of the quasi-planes can only be included if you "allow" the possibility of the quasi-planes in your 3e cosmology. Otherwise, they simply don't exist.

If you want to know more about these archomentals, just let me know.
Sarelle Posted - 21 Jun 2004 : 14:25:41
Sage: I know that there was a Mineral Quasi-Elemental Lord - Crystalle - and that there were four Para-Elemental Lords and eight Elemental Lords, but were there Elemental Lords of the other Quasi-Elemental planes? If so do you know their names?
Something I've been curious about for a while. Thanks.
The Sage Posted - 21 Jun 2004 : 08:09:23
quote:
Originally posted by aragorn II

My question is, how are the Elemental Planes and the Para-Elemental Planes related?

The para-elemental planes are simply combinations of two adjacent inner planes. They are further related by the fact that both the elemental and para-elemental planes have both permanent and stable two-way vortices.

The quasi-elemental planes are simply the result of an inner plane being combined with either the Positive or Negative Energy plane. However, I should point out that the quasi planes were dropped with the establishment of the 3e cosmology.

The quasi planes are purely a PS creation. They are fully detailed, along with the other inner planes (including the para-elemental) in the 2e PS tome The Innner Planes.
The Sage Posted - 21 Jun 2004 : 08:05:24
quote:
Originally posted by aragorn II

I found this somewhere. Is it right?
Lawful Good Mount Celestia
The Twin Paradises
Neutral Good Elysium
Happy Hunting Grounds
Chaotic Good Mount Olympus
Gladsheim
Chaotic Neutral Limbo
Pandemonium
Chaotic Evil The Abyss
Tartarus
Neutral Evil The Grey Waste
Gehenna
Lawful Evil The Nine Hells
Acheron
Lawful Neutral Nirvana
Arcadia
True Neutral Concordant Opposition

This is essentially how Gary Gygax first envisioned the planes. Most of these names for the Outer Planes and the Outlands are the direct ancestors of what would later become the standard with the publication of the 2e Manual of the Planes, and the establishment of the [iPlanescape[/i] campaign setting.

The names were changed to their present form (in 3e MotP) when the first designs for the PS setting were determined. It has been suggested that Gygax protested the changes, but there has never been any evidence to support those claims.
aragorn II Posted - 18 Jun 2004 : 15:48:06
Thank you very much, Sarta.
Sarta Posted - 17 Jun 2004 : 22:47:26
My impression has always been that the para-elemental planes are where two elemental planes sort of slop together. They aren't really planes in and of themselves, just the rather fuzzy boundaries between two real planes and populated by stuff from both. Over time, they have developed their own eco-systems.

Sarta

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000