Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Birth control in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2012 :  11:49:20  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is, indeed, a VERY good topic! I really do think this question should be put to Ed asap as his thoughts on the subject would be most helpful. As to my thoughts: Ed has gone on record as stating that sexuality in the Realms is less 'restrictive' than in traditional Western culture.

I think we have to assume that most folks would know of a few ways of preventing (or aborting) pregnancy...be they peasants or royalty. The decision to do so would be based upon the circumstances (i.e., to avoid shaming the royal family or angering 'dear ole dad' for sleeping with that Hatfield boy!). Likewise, various temples would provide the requisite services, albeit based upon thier specific religious beliefs, access to needed supplies, and available funds/donations for the service. Magic items, potions, etc. would also be available for the right price as well...and therein lies what I believe is the REAL question...

Just how much would such a service or item cost? There would be 'home remedies' that are relatively free (of the sort used in ancient times) that would be less reliable than arcane or priestly magic, but how much would a temple charge for the 'de-blessing' or a hedge wizard for the spellcasting/trinket/potion? It does seem that a simple cantrip could do the trick if used quickly (not likely though). So this begs the question, What level would an abortive spell be? A birth-control spell? (to prevent pregnancy BEFORE the act).

I would think the the level of such spells would be lower for a priest than for a wizard. And, of course, not all religions would be willing to provide such a service. Lathander, for instance, may not be willing to provide it as he is the god of birth (although in my campaign he would, but some people may interpret his portfolio as meaning he should be against it).

Please, Capn, put this question to Ed. This really seems like one of those queries that would receive a great response from him (and I'm eager to see his opinion on it).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2012 :  19:27:29  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
from Ed -

from Aug 27, 2006:

quote:
It's important to remember that many of the Realms deities encourage "sex for fun" (or even "sex for religious rapture") and their priests have magical and pharmaceutical meals of preventing contraception,

From Oct 7, 2004:

quote:
Vangey was, of course, applying magical contraception to Alusair from a very young age, without her knowing it.

From Apr 3, 2004:

quote:
and the ready access most Dale women have to herbs that can make a pregnant woman violently miscarry,

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000