Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Goats and Dire goats stats
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2012 :  09:58:31  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,

has anyone got the hint as of where to find stats for Goats and Dire goats for 3,0 and 3.5 D&D??

I had them once, but cannot remember.

Thanks

Edit:
Looking for official stuff if possible, I know lots of customs existing, or license-stuff. But I am specifically looking for an officially published version's stats.

Edited by - Jakuta Khan on 06 Oct 2012 11:06:32

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2012 :  13:53:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dire goats? I'm afraid to ask why you need those stats!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2012 :  14:05:09  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, are you TOO afraid, or just afraid and OVERLY curious ;)
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2012 :  14:59:54  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tome of Horrors

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2012 :  15:51:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know my favorite fantasy goat? Odin's goat, Heiðrún.

Valkyries served mead that flowed from its teats to the heroes of Valhalla. When I die, I want to go to Viking heaven.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2012 :  17:02:52  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always felt bad for Thor's goats: Tanngrisnir and Tanngnjóstr, who pulled his chariot. And all the thanks they got was that Thor would often cook them up and eat them, and serve them to his guests. Then he would bring the goats back to life again the next day. Just an endless cycle of toil, slaughter, consumption and resurrection. Sounds like Viking Heaven was Goat Hell!

By the way, you don't want to keep a dire goat. You have to spend all your time cleaning up after them or they'll leave a dire mess.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2012 :  17:09:59  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it will be a mighty mount for a halfling or gnome?

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2012 :  17:53:35  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought them to be perfect mounts for tribes of goblinoids in the stonelands, but rams / dire rams with the warbeast template would work almost as well.

They can maneuvre in terrain whereas almost any other animal would not be able to walk or break their legs.

Thw butt attack of the dire ram in combination with a spear-trhusting hobgoblin warrior ontop of it can be quite nasty, when other people have to watch not to fall off the small paths...

edit:
Is tome of horrors from necromancers to be rated "official" ?

Edited by - Jakuta Khan on 06 Oct 2012 17:55:29
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2012 :  18:20:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might try the Warcraft RPG - I no longer own the tome, so I can't check. I know Dwarves in WoW ride very large (dire?) goats/rams.

Google 'mounted dwarf warcraft' for pics of various types.

Gnomes ride mecha-ostriches... you gotta love WoW.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2012 :  19:24:24  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kinda liked the warcraft Rpg, some days ago for its deadliness, but honestly hated wow - too linear for me, whole thing did not meet my expectations.
I am an ultima online guy ;)
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2012 :  20:47:47  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have adapted the WoW rams for my Dwarf-themed PbeM:

quote:
Starspire Ram
Size/Type: Large Animal
Hit Dice: 3d8+9 (22 hp)
Initiative: 1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +3 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+9
Attack: Gore +4 melee (1d8+3)
Full Attack: Gore +4 melee (1d4+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +6

Feats: Alertness, Endurance
Environment: Mountains
Organization: Domesticated

Challenge Rating: 1
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

A cross between a Rothé and Tethyrian Highland sheep suited for riding or carrying loads with similar capacity as a mule yet even more surefooted. The wool of the Starspire Rams is used in the same way as traditional wool, though less preferred outside of Sondarr. It does not tolerate underground environments, but due to its coat it survives all but the harshest winter weather outside. [to ride a Starspire Ram, a character must have 1 rank in both Handle Animal and Ride]

Combat:
The normally docile animal can be quite stubborn at times and will kick when it feels threatened, but is more likely to butt with its massive curved horns (used by some Battlebellow dwarves to carve drinking horns).

Carrying Capacity:
A light load for a Starspire Ram is up to 230 pounds; a medium load, 231-460 pounds; and a heavy load, 461-690 pounds. A Starspire Ram can drag 3,450 pounds.

Skills:
Starspire Rams have a +2 racial bonus on Dexterity checks to avoid slipping or falling.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2012 :  01:31:13  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I could not find stats for 3.X either, however could point to 2nd that of course would need to be converted. Should you be interested. I would think base goat would gain Con., Str. and HD.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  14:36:25  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks all for your contributions / answes, but I was looking for official stuff.

as noone has some seemingly, here the questioN.

there is a sword & sorcery adventure about a hobgoblin kings crypt. There Hobgobs breed dire goats.

is Sword & sorcery considered official stuff??
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  15:07:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakuta Khan

is Sword & sorcery considered official stuff??

Official for D&D? No, only WotC-produced material is official for D&D.

That said, a lot of third-party stuff is very good, and can be used in D&D games without issue.

Some isn't so good, though. In general, it's best to ask around and look for online reviews for any third-party stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  20:58:24  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thx wooly, thought so alrdy.

but some of the sword & sorcery stuff is really good indeed.

i think i use them dire goats from book of horrors.

thx all for your input.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  02:38:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakuta Khan

i think i use them dire goats from book of horrors.
Generally, the more prominent 3rd-party publishers usually have the *best* produced and written 3rd-party D&D products. But that's not always the case, unfortunately.

Additionally, I made the mistake of purchasing a great many of the tomes released by small-time publishing companies who were largely only existent from the middle-to-late 3e-era. Aside from a few cool ideas here and there, that I've used, the majority of these books are often hard to access -- either because of poor formatting, woefully inadequate spell-checking/fact-checking, or just written in a fashion that suggested no outside editorial influence was ever employed during production.

If you're ever in doubt about a party 3rd-part resource, Jakuta, just post your query here. I'm sure one of our many scribes have used these older products at one time or another.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  05:30:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've gotten some third-party stuff that I found quite underwhelming, and I've absolutely loved some of it. My fave non-FR stuff from 3.x all came from third-party publishers.

Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  07:12:34  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have also to admit, that I really loved the slayer guides for all the humanoid races.

as WotC usually does not bother about humanoids ( well, goblinoids, except orcs to some lesser extent ) these were, for me, the first really detailed info about the different kinds of humanoids.

I loved all they did for the goblinoids, goblins, Hobgobs and Bugbears, but also loved the troglodyte and gnoll books, IMHO really well made.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  11:19:16  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pathfinder considers Tome of Horrors official, if not for them most of the monsters would not be free for the OGL.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  18:12:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

Pathfinder considers Tome of Horrors official, if not for them most of the monsters would not be free for the OGL.

And that's part of the reason I made a point of getting one of the reprinted Tome of Horrors books. I was tired of seeing references to the books, but not having the books to look them up -- and they were way too expensive, on the eBay.

And then the first reprint sold out within hours, which told me it was something special...

I'm quite glad the book was reprinted. It's quite frustrating to see references in new material to something that's long been out of print. I had the same problem, years ago, when I was into Werewolf: The Apocalypse and some of the related stuff -- many references to The Hunters Hunted, but the book was OOP. And going further back, I had the same issue with some early Realms material and FR4 The Magister. It took me 2 or 3 years of searching, before I got on eBay and decided to look there.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  02:53:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FR4 The Magister was definitely a "don't miss out" release. I recall I was a poor Uni student and saw it at a tiny FLGS (long since gone out of business) and bought it with ... well, most all the money I had in the world at that time. Going by reactions of a few people I knew who were Realms fans for about the next 18 months, I likely got one of a handful of copies that ever made it to my state. Still one of my favourite FR products to read over again and again.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  04:04:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

FR4 The Magister was definitely a "don't miss out" release. I recall I was a poor Uni student and saw it at a tiny FLGS (long since gone out of business) and bought it with ... well, most all the money I had in the world at that time. Going by reactions of a few people I knew who were Realms fans for about the next 18 months, I likely got one of a handful of copies that ever made it to my state. Still one of my favourite FR products to read over again and again.

-- George Krashos

Forgotten Realms Adventures was one of my first FR purchases, and there were references in there and in some of the later stuff to FR4 The Magister. I checked all the hobby shops within an hour and a half of where I lived, and one of them agreed to put me on the waiting list for it -- he said the wait would be about 2 years! Never did hear back from them...

When I first ventured onto eBay, I wasn't looking for much of anything, other than a couple of Evangelion figures. I was at work one day when it randomly hit me I could check eBay for that book... I had it in hand about 10 days later.

And when I had to replace all of my stuff, that was one of the first things I looked for.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000