Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Cormyr Campaign - Check my Realmslore?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chambers
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  14:06:52  Show Profile Send Chambers a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greeting scribes.

I'm starting a Cormyr campaign in 1376 with the country in a civil war. I'd like some help from the scribes and sages here to double check my lore and reasoning. To start, here are is the time line that covers in broad strokes the events that led up to the war. Events marked with an asterisk (*) are my own creation (non-canon).

1370 DR. Year of the Tankard.

Imports into Marsember fall off sharply as competition increases from Westgate and Nimpeth.

1371 DR. Year of the Unstrung Harp.

Nalavarauthatoryl the red elf-dragon leads an army of orcs and goblins and despoils much of Cormyr. The dragon and King Azoun IV slay each other in battle, leaving an infant heir on Cormyr's throne. Alusair Nacaia is named Steel Regent until the infant king is old enough to rule.

1372 DR. Year of Wild Magic.

Vangerdahast retires from the position of Mage Royal Royale Mage Royal Magician, appointing his apprentice Caladnei to be his successor.

The town of Tilverton is annihilated by the Shade Enclave Thultanthar.

1373 DR. Year of Rogue Dragons

Groups of brigands operating under the standard of Gondegal raid the northeastern areas of Cormyr from the Hullack Forest all the way to Arabel. (*)

1374 DR. Year of Lightning Storms.

The Spice Lords of Marsember go behind the back of the Crown and allow a Thayan enclave to setup shop in Marsember in exchange for much needed gold to support their failing trade. (Partially canon. The event is mentioned in Dungeon 198, Cormyr Royale but how it happened wasn't explained)

Members of three Royal Houses - Crownsilver, Huntsilver, and Truesilver - openly criticize the Steel Regent for failing to capture the Sons of Gondegal. (*}

1375 DR. Year of Risen Elfkin.

The Spice Lords form an alliance with the Royal Houses and foment a rebellion among the Nobles. The rebels call for abolishment of the monarchy and a rule of council. Steel Regent Alusair declares them traitors. Civil war begins as the forces of the Sons of Gondegal are lead by the three Silver Brothers. (*)

1376 DR. Year of the Bent Blade.

Wheloon falls under the control of the Army of Three Silvers. The rebel Nobles control all of Southeastern Cormyr from Daerlun and Dawngleam to Hultail and Gladehap. (*)

The Purple Dragons meet the Army of Three Silvers along the Dragoneye Way, just west of Marsember. The Battle of Lost Brothers lasts a full tenday and ends with Thayan mages turning the battlefield into a wild magic zone, causing the War Wizards to lose control of their magic and inadvertanly destroy half of the Purple Dragon force. The Royal forces retreat back to Suzail. (*)

1376, Winter Solstice on Nightal 20: Campaign Starts

----

Where do the allegiances lie? I've decided that Aysunder Truesilver is in control of the military forces of the Rebels and that they control Marsember. Marsember holds the majority of the Imperial Navy and a sizable contingent of Purple Dragons. Not all of the Purple Dragons and Navy will go along with the rebellion of course; those that remain loyal to the Crown have been imprisoned as prisoners of war. Likewise not all members of the Royal Houses and the other Houses involved in the rebellion support the rebels. The Crown controls Suzail and has taken a fair number of nobles "hostage" (those that belong to the Houses that are in the rebellion). Both sides are interested in a prisoner exchange.

Why are Red Wizards fighting with the Rebels? The line about the Thayan enclave gave me the inspiration for that. The Spice Lords were already on business terms with Thay so it seems reasonable that once war began they would reach out for more support. Make no mistake though, the Spice Lords are quite aware of Thay's ambition and are treating the Thayan wizards with heavy suspicion - but beggars can't be choosers and the Rebels need some serious magical support to even have a chance to fight the War Wizards, the majority of whom remain loyal to the Crown.

What about the Geas? War wizards swear a geas to the Crown, yet I want to have some War Wizards fighting for the Rebels. I can think of one possible explanation for why their geas hasn't triggered and they're able to still fight - the Three Silver Brothers (as they are called) are all from the Royal houses and thus are technically Royalty of Cormyr. By transfering their loyalty to the Three Silver Brothers (Aysunder Truesilver in particular), they are able to fulfill the letter of the law within the geas, though not the spirit of it.

Three Silver Brothers? Aysunder Truesilver is in charge of the rebels and he's supported by Cordryn Huntsilver, surreptisiouly returned from exile and Embryn Crownsilver. The people call them brothers even though they're not.

How big are the rebels military forces? 4 5 light infantry regiments (2,400 men-at-arms), 4 War Galleons, 2 War Caravels, 1 Coastal Runner, 1 Cog, 4 Training Ships. Sons of Gondegal (800 light infantry, 200 light cavalry; all bandits and marauders).

Added: House Bleth (12 men-at-arms), House Cormaeril (30 men-at-arms), Fire Knives (8 assassins)

Marsember has the superior Navy while the Crown commands the majority of Purple Dragons and War Wizards. To be able to win the war the Rebels will need more land forces. I'm considering having the Three Silvers hire Mercenaries from somewhere (Westgate? Sembia?). The Purple Dragons among the Rebels will not (and do not) enjoy working alongside sellswords and bandits, but those that do have convinced themselves that they are fighting for the greater good of Cormyr.

---

That's my general overview. Please leave any comments or criticisms regarding Realmslore or my hacking of it. Many thanks to the scribes and sages that have written and compiled the scrolls that have helped me with this (The Military Forces of Cormyr, After the Dragon - The Kingdom of Cormyr Today, Looking for All about Cormyr, and the Grand History of the Realms, to name a few)

Also, the game is going to be run as a PbP game using the Pathfinder rules. The characters will start at 12th level.

Edited by - Chambers on 04 Oct 2012 17:31:46

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  14:46:48  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are the "Silvers" allied in first place with the "Sons of Gondegal" and just blame the Regent for show or why would they side with the brigands aside "abolishing monarchy"?

Thay is having the civil war, Sembia is dealing with the Shades so Red Wizards should not play much of an important role and sembian mercenaries should be rare.
If you get Westgate to be involved i could see the Cormaeril and other exiled houses side with the "Silvers" to oust the Obraskyrs and with the strife in Cormyr i could see outside forces using it to their advantage.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  15:10:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormyr has always had a Mage Royal. It has never had a Royal Mage.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Chambers
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  15:23:21  Show Profile Send Chambers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Lord Bane

I've thought that Embryn and Codryn were actually behind the organizing of the Sons of Gondegal and created the trouble as an excuse to criticize the Crown and attempt to regain power. Once the complaining among the nobility took on a more serious tone then they convinced Aysunder to join them.

Regarding the Red Wizards, I hadn't counted one having more than a few (2-4) actually with the rebels. They would be the ones already in Marsember from the Enclave. I think I'll go with more forces from Westgate as that's a good way to tie in more of the exiled nobles. Any suggestions on particular groups from Westgate?

@George Krashos

The 3.0 FRCS lists Caladnei as the Royal Magician, as does the Cormyr Royale article. Volo's Guide describes Vangerdahast of Royal Magician to the Realms. I probably used Royal Mage as short hand but I'll change it to Royal Magician.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  15:50:27  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IŽd suggest involving the Fire Knives, since they are opposing Cormyr, to attempt hits on nobles still loyal to the crown and the crown aswell, maybe one loyal to the crown could be revealed to be a Fire Knife who sold out plans to the rebels?
For exiled Houses iŽd say Cormaeril and Bleth are the most prominant who also have their "Base of Operation" in Westgate.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  16:36:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are two Court offices that Vangerdahast combined (he held both, during his long service): Court Wizard and Royal Magician. Caladnei held them both, too, as his successor.
Yes, "Mage Royal" and never "Royal Mage."
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Chambers
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  17:26:39  Show Profile Send Chambers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Lord Bane

Good ideas. It seems to be the perfect opportunity for both Houses to try and re-establish their names in Cormyr. I'll add them to the list of rebel's. I think they should bring with them a small house guard; warriors from Westgate that are loyal to each family. Probably no more than two dozen for each family, so it won't significantly add to the strength of the rebel army.

Fire Knives will fit in nicely as well, though again not contributing to the army as a whole. As it stands the rebel army is outnumbered. They had the element of surprise but now that that's gone the Crown forces can use their superior numbers...and the war won't last that long. So I still need to find some troops that the rebels can field in order to have a sustainable fight. I'm thinking that an additional 2,000 troops would be the bare necessity to maintain the war (bringing their total to around 3,000 infantry and cavalry), but for them to have a fighting chance of winning they'd probably need around 3,000 to 5,000 troops, as the Crown has roughly 9,000 Purple Dragons they can employ. They'd still be outnumbered approximately 2:1 but in a guerrilla style war that's not as much of a hindrance as it is with set piece battles.

Edit I rechecked my math and it seems that the rebel Purple Dragons would be about 2,400 in number (I presume that roughly 1 regiment equivalent of Purple Dragons in Marsember would refuse to fight and thus be prisoner, reducing the number of regiments from 5 to 4). That plus the Sons of Gondegal gives the rebels a military force of roughly 3,600. So I need fewer foreign mercenaries than I thought.

@The Hooded One

I didn't know there were actually two separate positions. Thanks for the heads up. Is there a book source for the title Mage Royal?

Edited by - Chambers on 04 Oct 2012 17:34:47
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  17:30:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The article on Cormyrian nobility (written by Brian Cortijo) spells all of that out.

Not sure if I should ask this here, or hit-up Brian or Ed, but here goes - was there ever an Obarskyr who 'did magic', and if so, wouldn't they have been a 'royal mage'? (not a title, but rather, just a descriptor)

On-Topic:
Historically, there have always been war Wizards that somehow managed to be traitors, sometimes even a decent-sized group of them. Thats an easy one to fudge (IIRC, there was a group of them in Elminster's Daughter). As for the navy... I'm just not seeing it. I think they would have pulled-out at the first sign of trouble (but its your game, so do whatever you want). If you are really dead-set on that, but want to stick close to canon, then I would suggest that someone has taken the captain's family members hostage, or some-such (maybe they could be mind-controlled as well, or some mixture of that).

The Zhentarrim were more involved in Cormyrian affairs then the Red Wizards, so I would use them instead (although Thayans still work... just less likely). As Lord Bane pointed out, Westgate is best place to find Cormyrian expatriates (with the Tunlands being a second place for canon-fodder troops; a lot of ousted Purple Dragons fled to the swamp).

EDIT: Strike that - I hadn't realized you were centering this around Marsember. The Zhents were the most active in northern Cormyr, but the Red Wizards were the most active in Marsember. Thayan involvement in Marsember 'politics' goes back a long way.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Oct 2012 17:45:04
Go to Top of Page

Chambers
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  17:47:05  Show Profile Send Chambers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Markustay

I glanced through the article again and found the distinction, thanks. Caladnei is listed as Royal Magician while Laspeera Naerinth appears to have taken over the duties as Court Wizard.

I plan on limiting the Red Wizard involvement to just the Thayans that were in the Enclave at Marsember, so a small number (less than a dozen). I intend to have the Zhentarim involved as well, but not officially or unofficially with the rebels. I don't think that even Purple Dragons that decided to side with the rebels would tolerate fighting side by side with the Zhentarim so I've decided to have the Zhents remain outside Cormyr with their military forces, waiting to see how the chips fall and then run in to pick up the pieces. (I think those same Purple Dragons would have fewer reservations about working with the exiled nobles; the Silvers will have probably spun it so that the two Houses have come back and are trying to redeem their honor, and as those Purple Dragons have committed themselves to siding with the rebels, their own honor is involved as well, making the story easier to rationalize.)

The Zhentarim spys are involved in the conflict, however. They've been working behind the scenes for a few years to accelerate the conflict beyond what the Silvers planned. The spies are working to create as much distrust and animosity as possible between the Crown and Rebels, discouraging discussions of peace talks and amnesty. They want both sides to smash each other to pieces so the Zhentarim forces can take over and rule.

Tunlands - next area of research. Not that familiar with it.

Thanks for all the help so far scribes and sages, I appreciate it.

Edit The reason I think the Marsember Navy will stick around is because I think the majority of them will be personally loyal to Aysunder Truesilver. He's the leader of the Imperial Navy and the Warden of Port Marsember, so I think the sailors would stay with him.

Edited by - Chambers on 04 Oct 2012 17:51:05
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  18:14:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So long as you have some sound reasoning behind their defection (which you seem to).

Nice take on the Zhents - they have been in-conflict (covertly) with the Thayans in both Cormyr and Sembia for years, thwarting each other's plans (so that neither got the upper hand... which is something the Harpers have been discreetly pushing them into). I can definitely see the Zhents using the uprising to their advantage, and also playing both sides against the middle (like having one of their agents feed information to the crown about the Red Wizards). I really like that scenario.

EDIT: I am still a bit shaky about so many Cormyrian troops siding with the rebels. Maybe you can have the Silvers 'discover' a piece of information about Alusair? (like that she once slept with a Zhentarrim spy) I am not saying it need be true - it could even be something the Red Wizards just made-up and provided fake proof of (so Aysunder Truesilver might be just a dupe in all this). Cormyrian nobles are notoriously fickle, but the commoners of Cormyr love their king, and would gladly die for him, and most soldiers are commoners. I just feel there needs to be a little something to push them over the edge.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Oct 2012 18:19:31
Go to Top of Page

Chambers
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  18:31:16  Show Profile Send Chambers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Markustay

I think you're right about needing some other reason for the Purple Dragons that side with the rebels. Misinformation sounds good, but I agree there'd need to be some 'proof'. Something that tarnishes Alusair's reputation and builds on the Royal blood of the Silvers. I also like the idea of Aysunder being duped, though I don't think he'd be an easy man to hoodwink. Maybe some mind-control that the War Wizards can't detect? There are various dream magics that could give mages access to his mind through dream and thus influence or corrupt his mind in that way.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  18:40:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am thinking it needs to be more then her just sleeping with someone... she already has that rep.

How about if someone has 'proof' that Filfaeril cheated on Azoun IV? The idea that Cormyr is being lead by a 'non-Obarskyr' would certainly push many over the edge.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Oct 2012 18:40:42
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  18:44:39  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to take these in little bits, so I can properly address each issue.

quote:
Originally posted by Chambers
1374 DR. Year of Lightning Storms.

The Spice Lords of Marsember go behind the back of the Crown and allow a Thayan enclave to setup shop in Marsember in exchange for much needed gold to support their failing trade. (Partially canon. The event is mentioned in Dungeon 198, Cormyr Royale but how it happened wasn't explained)
I avoided taking up text in the article to explain what happened, but the establishment of the enclave happened around 1371/1372 DR. The explanation I've used, and which I've gotten agreement from Ed to use as the backstory, was originally shared in this thread:
quote:
Originally posted by This Guy Over Here
I've explained the change, and Ildool's "untimely" demise, as a direct result of the installation of the Thayan enclave in the city (mentioned, without justification, in Lords of Darkness). To shorten the backstory significantly, Ildool was never considered a bastion against corruption, and he used the confusion and chaos caused by the battles with Nalavara and her goblin horde to finally seal the deal with the Thayans. Receiving news of Azoun's death, he used the brief interregnum- with no one commanding him as lord of the city- to sign a treaty permitting the enclave.

Of course, as the crown was long rumored to be looking for an excuse to remove Ildool, either openly or through some "accident," so the continuation of the above story is that Alusair, being somewhat shorter of temper than her father, disposed of the former lord, leaving the expected confusion as to whether or not it was the Crown- or one of Ildool's various enemies and conflicting partners in bribery- who "did the dirty deed."
I hope this helps to clarifiy the situation a little.
Go to Top of Page

Chambers
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  18:58:17  Show Profile Send Chambers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Garen Thal

Yes, thanks for the background.

@Markustay

That's an interesting spin on the philandering of Azoun IV. Everyone 'knows' that the old King has sired many children; what if the child that everyone thinks is his actually isn't (even if he is and it's just a lie that's believed)? That'd mean that the Steel Regent is holding the throne for someone that isn't of Royal blood which would help the Silvers reasoning for rebelling.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  19:00:29  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What about the Geas? War wizards swear a geas to the Crown, yet I want to have some War Wizards fighting for the Rebels. I can think of one possible explanation for why their geas hasn't triggered and they're able to still fight - the Three Silver Brothers (as they are called) are all from the Royal houses and thus are technically Royalty of Cormyr. By transfering their loyalty to the Three Silver Brothers (Aysunder Truesilver in particular), they are able to fulfill the letter of the law within the geas, though not the spirit of it.
Ehhh..... not really "royalty," but let's deal with the other half of the premise.

As far as the War Wizards are concerned, they are bound by a geas, but as far as the published lore is concerned, that's a rumor, not a fact. Most War Wizards are too piss-their-pants frightened of Vangerdahast and what he could do to them if they were ever disloyal that it doesn't matter one whit to them whether such a geas exists.

Caladnei did not foster that level of fear, but she (along with Laspeera, who was far ahead of both Mages Royal in this regard) sought personal loyalty from the War Wizards, and received it. The Harpers also helped forestall rebellion among the War Wizards.

Whether you, as DM, want the geas to be real for the War Wizards--or even just some of them--is completely up to you. What's important is that most Cormyreans and War Wizards believe it to be true. That's not to say, however, that it is necessarily so.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  19:05:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - I was talking about Alusair not being Azoun's, but I think I like your idea better (Alusair is too much like her father).

Filfaeril is known to have a secret portal in her private garden, and got 'visits' from numerous Harpers over the years... many of them male. Thats just the sort of thing that would help spread such a rumor like wildfire.

There is also someone who has been writing 'Filafaril porn' for some time now. Ed hasn't given us the name yet, but if a story about Filfaeril appeared where she was meeting secret lovers in her garden, it would be a great way to get the bad information out to the masses.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  19:14:19  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I glanced through the article again and found the distinction, thanks. Caladnei is listed as Royal Magician while Laspeera Naerinth appears to have taken over the duties as Court Wizard.
Officially, Caladnei was Court Wizard throughout her entire tenure. Laspeera only took over following Caladnei's death in 1399 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  19:20:14  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Not sure if I should ask this here, or hit-up Brian or Ed, but here goes - was there ever an Obarskyr who 'did magic', and if so, wouldn't they have been a 'royal mage'? (not a title, but rather, just a descriptor)
To answer the second question first, yes, "royal mage" is one epithet such an Obarskyr might have earned. Which is precisely why Cormyr never has a "royal mage."

As for the first part, unsurprisingly, NDA.
Go to Top of Page

Chambers
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  19:27:16  Show Profile Send Chambers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Garen Thal

Regarding Laspeera I see now in the timeline that it says that she takes over as Court Wizard when Caladnei dies. The description of Laspeera on the second page seems to imply differently though, that she was acting as Court Wizard when Caladnei was still alive. Not a problem though.

I think I want the Geas to be real because it will serve a number of purposes. As you said, pretty much everyone believes it to be real and if it is real and the few War Wizards that support the rebels aren't showing signs of suffering from the effects of breaking the geas, that will lend credence to the claims of the Silvers. In other words, if the Silvers were lying about their right to take control of Cormyr, then how come the War Wizards aren't breaking the geas by serving them?

The commoner or soldier won't know exactly how magic works but I think they can understand the concept of a magic oath that harms the person who breaks it, especially given how Lawful a society Cormyr is. The proof of not having the rebel War Wizards suffer from a broken oath would mean to the commoners that their magic oath still stands - and thus they still serve Cormyr, and maybe the rebels have a point.

@Markustay

I certainly didn't expect to read the phrase 'Filafaril porn' in this discussion. That's pretty funny. I think I'll go with Azoun V as not being legitimate. Now...who's the father?
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  19:39:39  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Getting the Nobles to turn on the Regent and getting troops to go along with them? This is what I did.

In my ongoing campaign Earl Wyvernspur 'found' the Wyvern Crown of Cormyr (detailed in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical) which sent him rather do-lally, after a few years of intrigue and the Wyvern Crown bringing others under its control civil war erupted. Well actually more like a cold-war style civil war, so a few minor skirmishes, but in reality use the Starwater as a divide between Cormyr (loyal to the Dragon Throne) and Esparin loyal to the Wyvernspurs, Rowanmantles and returned from exile Cormaerils, as well as the Baron of Arabel (The Patriach of Tymora).

Why did the troops stay out? well the Wizards of War in the West, along with the Temple of Torm in Eagles Peak become very fundamental in their beliefs and stood down from action during the civil war believing that all of Cormyr had become corrupt since the fall of Azoun IV and the crown to be passed to the bastard son of a dead princess, so they took no action against the traitors but held onto their own ways of protecting the Forest Country (in effect anything west of Tyrluk). Which left the armies of the east bolstered by southern mercenaries free reign to declare themselves the new Kingdom of Esparin. The troops in Suzail/Dhedluk/Wheloon were more concerned in protecting the 'Shield of Cormyr' from falling into anarchy than they were fighting their fellow soldiers in the East, hence the 'cold-war style detente' that ensued.

Fortunately the players in the ongoing campaign stuck their noses into the problem, found out the whys and wherefores and 'fixed' the problem (well at least they think they fixed the problem......).

I think that with enough money and years of loyal service and sponsorship from Nobles and merchants, many soldiers would prefer a quieter life of bowing to King Wyverspur of Esparin rather than to go out and fight other Cormyrian Purple Dragons instead. Its an easy choice if someone is going to pay you more than your previous employer and weighs less on the conscience when your have a bulging purse of Golden Lions.....

The wizards are more tricky, but then again the mysterious wizard with the unicorn ring might still be lurking about, slowly weeding out the loyal and setting the disloyal into positions of power.....

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Chambers
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  20:09:48  Show Profile Send Chambers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@crazedventurers

Thanks for the suggestion. The Wyvern Crown might be what tips Aysunder into supporting the rebels. I've been thinking that the Zhentarim would be responsible for his psychic surgery but it'd be interesting if they arranged it for the Wyvern Crown to fall into his hands.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  20:20:25  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For your problem with the navy you can easily have the crews imprisoned or slain and pirates in the purses of the "Silvers" running them, which would also add the Pirates of the Sea of Fallen Stars into the mix and they could act as "supply ferries" with equipment and hired troops from Westgate.

As for the Zhentarim, they are in that time period waging a just war in Cormanthor because some damn knife ears think they can boss around business partners of the Black Network
Their efforts would be mostly to crush the reestablished elven kingdom of Cormanthor. Of course they have their agents in Cormyr and if you want to have the Zhents sour the crowns milk, the Stonelands are home to bandits in league with the Black Network who could do raids into northern Cormyr. The Zhentarim also have control over goblin tribes in the Marsh of Tun/Farsea region who could move in on cormyrian soil aswell.

As for mercenary forces, i could see the "Silvers" and the "Exiles" pitting in enough coin to hire troops to make the crown second guess plans to retake the lost land (maybe funding of the red wizards or Zhentarim?), those mercenaries could come from the Western Heartlands or the Dragonreach area, maybe Chondathan or Turmish ones aswell.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  20:35:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Use all these ideas - a well-planned, multi-pronged attack designed to undermine the royal authority. Such a scheme could have been in the works for years.

I recently read Elfsong for the first time, and the antagonist in that novel used similar tactics to undermine the Lords of Waterdeep - people lost their confidence in their leaders. It doesn't have to be one, great big 'thing', it could have been a series of events that started with the ghazneth affair on into the devil dragon debacle, and came to a head during the Shade War (where forces from Cormyr, the Dales, and Sembia - amongst other places - were annihilated en masse in Tilverton). What you have is very weakened and unstable Cormyr following all of these things (and this not long after the Crusade took a bite out of the Cormyrian treasury and killed a lot of Cormyr's youth and nobility).

'Propaganda' is nothing new in warfare - just spread dissent.

*Grammatical edits

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Oct 2012 23:33:04
Go to Top of Page

Chambers
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2012 :  19:56:33  Show Profile Send Chambers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Lord Bane

I want to keep the Marsember Navy loyal to Aysunder. I feel like killing or imprisoning them and then replacing them with pirates wouldn't sit well with the Purple Dragons on the Rebel side. It might start to make them see the rebellion instead as an invasion by a foreign power if all the rebel navy were sailed by Pirates.

I've got another game running in the same time period that's based in Cormanthyr and the Zhentarim aren't actively engaged with the elves at the moment. One of the reasons being the civil war they've been trying to provoke in Cormyr, among others.

----

I've been thinking about the consequences of having the people believe that Azoun V isn't Azoun IV's son. There's a fair number of bastards, genealogically speaking, of Azoun IV that are adults and are either recognized or unrecognized. I think in a situation like this a lot of the spotlight would be focused on them. I've compiled a list of Azoun IV's heirs and where I think they'll fall in line.

Scions of Azoun IV

Allegiance to the Crown
Malaglan Spurbright
Vorndren Longlance
Wyndghallow "Wyn" Scatterstars
Tavantra Indimber
Dauntrin Dauntinghorn
Brace Skatterhawk

Rebels
Beliard Cormaeril
Delce Dauntinghorn
Ondryn Thundersword

All three of the scions of Azoun IV on the Rebel side are there to win the throne. Those for the Crown are going to first defend Cormyr from the rebels, but after that they aren't decided as a group what's to be done. Most want to keep their allegiance to Azoun V, but some are considering making a legitimate claim for the throne once the kingdom is safe.

I think this aspect of the campaign will be the most interesting to explore so I'm thinking that I'm going to have the PC's also be sons and daughters of Azoun IV. They'll be on the Crown side, though how they feel about the throne and what they want to do about it is up to them.

Edited by - Chambers on 05 Oct 2012 19:57:58
Go to Top of Page

Chambers
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2012 :  23:51:38  Show Profile Send Chambers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had trouble editing the post on my phone.

After thinking about it I think it'd be better for players to decide if they want to be the child of Azoun or not. I'd like to have at least one in the party though.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2012 :  18:58:18  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great ideas, really.
I wish I still had enough time for working out my cormyr campaign in so much detail.

Anhow, in your search for Cormyrian related lore you might want to take a look at the scroll "Looking for all about Cormyr".

Good gaming,

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Chambers
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  06:03:47  Show Profile Send Chambers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just realized a major flaw in the "Azoun V is illegitimate" idea. Azoun V is Azoun IV's grandson - not the son of Azoun V & Filfaeril as I thought (for some reason). Azoun IV is the son of Tanalasta and Rowen Cormaeril.

I still want to keep the story of a troubled throne for the game but now I need a different idea. Maybe have Azoun V killed? That'd create the power vacuum on the throne that I wanted.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  13:26:37  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have Fireknives succeed in assassinating the royal heir if you wish to have him killed and then rumors of a secret child of Filfaeril seeking the throne with backing of his mother who is behind the killing.
That should put some nobles against the crown due to the rumor and not outright turn everyone against the "Silvers".

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000