Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Running the Realms with 3.5 and Pathfinder
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  17:49:07  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
We are about to start a new campaign in this winter and I am planning to add some new stuff to add some flavour to our game. And first thing came to my mind was Pathfinder of course. I'm currently comparing the Pathfinder core book and the Player's Handbook of 3.5 and thinking about adding the extra stuff for the classes. For example PF's Bard has some new abilities coming in every level but 3.5's Bard only have new stuff at every two or three level. I might use the PF versions of the classes, but would that cause some unbalance issues if the rest of the system stays 3.5?

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  18:02:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you like 3e (and 3.5e), and plan to use those rules, then it makes perfect sense to use PF with FR - those rules are the 'next generation' of 3e (sometimes referred to as 3.75e).

If I were to start a new FR campaign using 3rd edition, I wouldn't even need to think about it. 3ePF is still supported, and is an excellent extension (more like errata) for the 3e system. I don't know why anyone would bother using 'plain vanilla' 3e at this point.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  18:40:45  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pathfinder is a great system. And I love how their rules and everything is contained within a single website. We originally started our Realms campaign using PF rules. Rules are just the construct used for having fun playing a campaign. Don't worry about being bound by them and change things if needed, if things are under or overpowered etc. If your players are cool with it, just explain you may need to tweak rules as the campaign progresses if you're worried about balance issues.
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  18:42:46  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And would it cause a problem if I use the classes from Pathfinder but the monsters from 3.5?
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  19:55:06  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used monsters from 3.5 in PF campaigns without issue. Some things will need tweaking (you'll have to calculate their Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, for instance), and you should keep in mind PF characters are usually more powerful than 3.5 ones of the same level (not taking very optimized builds into account, anyway).

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  21:04:35  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was planning to use everything else from 3.5 but only use classes from PF because it gives a new thing at every level and I find that is more fun to play and makes people want to level up more often :D
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  21:21:21  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless you are really, really attached to a given monster's quirks in 3.5, since all three Bestiaries are on the Pathfinder Reference Document now, for free, you may want to give he more "standard" monsters their Pathfinder stats. You shouldn't have too much trouble with using Realms monsters by adding the above mentioned stats, but for creatures like Red Dragons or demons or devils, having everything worked out and tweaked for the system is a nice plus.

Even some monsters that aren't strictly OGL have some nice analogies in Pathfinder already, like Graveknights, Ravagers, and Umbral Dragons.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  00:16:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that some of the classes and their mechanics are different in pathfinder you may find some issue with making vanilla feats and prestige classes work with pathfinder classes, anything to do with a paladin, or cleric, or druid, or bard will need looking at again but its not too difficult to make them work together again.

Im with everyone else, i cannot recommend pathfinder strongly enough, it is brilliant.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  01:33:46  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you guys recommend anything other than Core product and Beastiaries to run a Realms game with Pathfinder? I have the other 3.5 FR sourcebooks as well.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  01:59:22  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by farinal

And would it cause a problem if I use the classes from Pathfinder but the monsters from 3.5?

Standard monsters from the 3.5 Monster Manuals and other supplements are CR - 1 when used with the Pathfinder Rule Set. Another quick conversion is that Grapple becomes CMB (Combat Maneuver Bonus) and you need 10 + Grapple + Dex mod becomes CMD (Combat Maneuver Defense). I ran Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave with no problem with a group of PFRPG characters.

Also, most of the classes from any book other than the 3.5 core are pretty much balanced with PFRPG classes. And any 3.5 skill rank prerequisites are - 3 (to a minimum of 1).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 15 Oct 2012 02:02:25
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  17:28:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've yet to run a PF game, but like you, if I were to run a new realms campaign, I'd prefer to take those rules into effect. As others said, I'd recommend using PF monsters, but if you wanted to migrate something over, if I were you I'd look for something similar in PF bestiaries.

If you do go with the pathfinder rules though, you should note some things that I didn't immediately notice. For instance, you get a new feat every 2nd level, not every 3rd level. Note also the bonuses gained from sticking with your favored class. Note that skills work differently too. You don't get 4x the skills at 1st level, you instead get a +3 bonus to any class skill to which you put ranks (this helps a lot if you're doing a LOT of class skills). I'm betting there's a lot of other stuff that people who have actually played it could point out (and I wish someone would make some kind of "these are the main differences" between 3.5 and PF guide).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  17:33:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

I've yet to run a PF game, but like you, if I were to run a new realms campaign, I'd prefer to take those rules into effect. As others said, I'd recommend using PF monsters, but if you wanted to migrate something over, if I were you I'd look for something similar in PF bestiaries.

If you do go with the pathfinder rules though, you should note some things that I didn't immediately notice. For instance, you get a new feat every 2nd level, not every 3rd level. Note also the bonuses gained from sticking with your favored class. Note that skills work differently too. You don't get 4x the skills at 1st level, you instead get a +3 bonus to any class skill to which you put ranks (this helps a lot if you're doing a LOT of class skills). I'm betting there's a lot of other stuff that people who have actually played it could point out (and I wish someone would make some kind of "these are the main differences" between 3.5 and PF guide).

Hmm, as I wrote that... I figured see if someone actually had written up something. I'm literally reading through this now, but figured I'd share. Its a thread comparing the two systems.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136890

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  19:12:30  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks man really helpful!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000