Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Halaster the Mad
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  01:22:24  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have read of the insane archmage but havent' been able to find anything on him other than having something to do with Undermountain. Why is he special is he powerful and what is the Grandstaff.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  06:11:54  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't found anything on him? His info his everywhere! In fact, I suggest you to download the free Villian's Lorebook in the WotC site where he has an entry there. It's 2e but tehre's some useful info on him.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  07:22:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to pages 294-5 of the Epic Level Handbook, Halaster is a 25th-level Wizard and 5th-level Archmage.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  07:35:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I just found something else that could prove useful to you:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20010509c

It should also be notated that since Elminster in Hell, Halaster isn't quite so insane.

Ed has given this info on ol' Hallie:

quote:
1. Halaster has been around for a LONG time, and for almost all of that time he’s been an enigma. Steven Schend and I pretty well agreed that he was only insane as long as he was in Undermountain, and it seems that ‘the new’ Mystra has freed him from the worst magical effects of its thrall, returning him to sanity. She did NOT make him a Chosen, but instead made a ‘separate peace’ with him, giving him the status of a free-willed agent (from time to time she’ll ask him to do something for her, with new spells or augmented powers as his reward or price, but she will do absolutely nothing to coerce him into service, nor look upon him unfavorably if he refuses).
Whether he’ll become a threat to the wider Realms, or a ‘good guy,’ depends on him. Right at the moment, I personally have no plans for a Halaster novel, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the good folks at WotC are pondering this topic for some scribe’s pen. He is a perfect main character for a pull-out-the-stops spellhurling novel, after all. :}

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  08:57:01  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A perfect heir to Karsus if ever there was one. 'Halaster's Divine Ascendancy spell' anyone?

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  17:26:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Deimos

A perfect heir to Karsus if ever there was one. 'Halaster's Divine Ascendancy spell' anyone?

I don't see Halaster doing that... He's perfectly content to limit his activities to Undermountain -- he doesn't even go into Skullport, much less anywhere else in the world. So him deciding to become a god seems unlikely to me.

Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  00:13:35  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question regarding his, clouded origin. As I was searching for info on the Imaskar Empire on Realms - L archive I run across this.

"I would suggest noting the birth of Hilather, last apprentice of the Imaskari wizards."

Now Hilather is, if I am correct, Halaster's true name. I also know that (from various sources) that at Gencons, Ed have hinted at Halaster coming from Imaskar. He have at least not denide the fact.

So is he from the ancient empire, or is it just a wild rumor?

(This isn't perhaps the right place for it since this is supposed to be the canon corner of the library. Sorry for any inconvinence, just thought I add this now that the topic was up, more or less )

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi

Edited by - Hymn on 16 May 2004 00:15:02
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  04:27:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ruins of Undeermountain seems to imply that he has ties with Netheril. The Stardock module obliquely makes connections with him and Imaskar/Raurin. Eric Boyd, Steven Schend (and I) have always operated on the premise that he's Imaskari (but likely was in stasis for a long period after that nation's fall IMHO) and Eric has done some hitherto unrevealed writing that adds further detail to Hilather/Halaster's back-story. When and where it will turn up is anyone's guess ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  10:27:30  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Ruins of Undeermountain seems to imply that he has ties with Netheril. The Stardock module obliquely makes connections with him and Imaskar/Raurin. Eric Boyd, Steven Schend (and I) have always operated on the premise that he's Imaskari (but likely was in stasis for a long period after that nation's fall IMHO) and Eric has done some hitherto unrevealed writing that adds further detail to Hilather/Halaster's back-story. When and where it will turn up is anyone's guess ...

-- George Krashos

Hmmm... I really hope that Eric's writings will get published somewhere, someday... that would make for a fascinating read!
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  13:01:17  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Hmm, interesting. Just what one might expect in the ever conflicting world of the Realms

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  13:27:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Conflicting" is what WotC does, not Mr. Greenwood.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  15:17:00  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah poor Ed, WotC must give him hell. on a side not is that I also found this in Power and Phanteons:

"It is belived that the Theurgist Adept Thayd, last survivng apprentice of the Imaskari wizards opened a gate, prior to his execution in - 1081 DR."

Hmm, "two" last surviving apprentice(s). Ah, isn't realms lore just wonderfull

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  20:49:48  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

Yeah poor Ed, WotC must give him hell. on a side not is that I also found this in Power and Phanteons:

"It is belived that the Theurgist Adept Thayd, last survivng apprentice of the Imaskari wizards opened a gate, prior to his execution in - 1081 DR."

Hmm, "two" last surviving apprentice(s). Ah, isn't realms lore just wonderfull

"It's not a bug--it's a feature!"

Quote of Halaster as he pounced on a 2-foot-wide fly and made it his dinner as reported by the Company of the Three-Clawed Griffon on Undermoutain's Level Four

Also the mantra Ed, Eric, George, and I use when untangling Realms history. :)

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  21:38:21  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
"It's not a bug--it's a feature!"

Quote of Halaster as he pounced on a 2-foot-wide fly and made it his dinner as reported by the Company of the Three-Clawed Griffon on Undermoutain's Level Four

Also the mantra Ed, Eric, George, and I use when untangling Realms history. :)

Steven

lol, so I can imagine.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  03:41:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FR lore-making/mending rule is quite simple: nothing is ever "wrong", there just might be more than one "right" answer.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2018 :  14:22:33  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Heck, "perfectly content" seems like something that could get changed with a mad person pretty quick. Perhaps, he has some interest in replacing Cyric as the Mad God? I think Halaster could do a pretty good job!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Deimos

I don't see Halaster doing that... He's perfectly content to limit his activities to Undermountain -- he doesn't even go into Skullport, much less anywhere else in the world. So him deciding to become a god seems unlikely to me.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2018 :  15:28:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone would be better than Cyric...

Even with madness involved, I don't see someone putting in literal centuries into developing their own playground, just to toss it all aside and do something very, very different. He's happy where he is and hasn't shown even the slightest indication that he wants to be a deity.

Plus, he's connected to Undermountain -- he actually had more issues when removed from Undermountain.

He's mad, yes -- but there's a method to his madness. And he's gotten a lot better since Mystra aided him. He's still not 100% sane, but he's saner than he was.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2018 :  15:47:23  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Hymn,

That is definitely correct. In the new, A Grand History of the Realms, p66 identifies Lord Hilather as the now mad mage Halaster.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

I have a question regarding his, clouded origin. As I was searching for info on the Imaskar Empire on Realms - L archive I run across this.

"I would suggest noting the birth of Hilather, last apprentice of the Imaskari wizards."

Now Hilather is, if I am correct, Halaster's true name. I also know that (from various sources) that at Gencons, Ed have hinted at Halaster coming from Imaskar. He have at least not denide the fact.

So is he from the ancient empire, or is it just a wild rumor?

(This isn't perhaps the right place for it since this is supposed to be the canon corner of the library. Sorry for any inconvinence, just thought I add this now that the topic was up, more or less )

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2018 :  16:00:15  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Anyone huh...how about...Sune? We could give Halaster that makeover he's been needing for, well, about 3600 years. Trim that hair up, get him a dental cleaning (any bets on how many times he's brushed and flossed in the last 3600 years?), and some new threads. I mean, we could have him on Toril's Transformations as one of the most radical makeover's ever in Realms history! Who's to say the man just doesn't need to clean up, fix his likely low self-esteem and just be the god of aesthetics for a bit to fix that bad attitude he's had since that Raurin thing a few years ago......?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Anyone would be better than Cyric...

Even with madness involved, I don't see someone putting in literal centuries into developing their own playground, just to toss it all aside and do something very, very different. He's happy where he is and hasn't shown even the slightest indication that he wants to be a deity.

Plus, he's connected to Undermountain -- he actually had more issues when removed from Undermountain.

He's mad, yes -- but there's a method to his madness. And he's gotten a lot better since Mystra aided him. He's still not 100% sane, but he's saner than he was.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000