Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Locate Object
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  05:36:40  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can locate object be used to find magical items? The spell description says:
You sense the direction of a well-known or clearly visualized object. You can search for general items, in which case you locate the nearest one of its kind if more than one is within range. Attempting to find a certain item requires a specific and accurate mental image; if the image is not close enough to the actual object, the spell fails. You cannot specify a unique item unless you have observed that particular item firsthand (not through divination).
Would magical item be a "general item?" If not, does anyone know of a spell that specifically divines such items(besides the usual detect magic and arcane sight spells?

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  06:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it can.
The bit about general items would be referring to: "find me the closest cat" and such.
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  17:51:58  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's sort of what I meant. Could a wizard look for "the closest magical item?" That would reveal the nearest scroll, ring, wand, ect, without defining it specifically, so it could be used to search for any enchanted object in range, without having to look for, say, magical swords or such.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Teflon
Seeker

60 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  19:34:58  Show Profile  Visit Teflon's Homepage Send Teflon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acutally I dont think you can use locate object to find a magical item. In the spell decription it says "You can locates objects as apparel,jewlery,furniture,tools,weapons, or even a leader". Then it says under general items "such as a stairway, a sword, or a jewel". Nowhere does it say magical items. The only thing I could think of that would work to find magical items would be detect magic.

In any battle, the mightiest weapon is one that strikes unseen.

A Warrior or Wizard may be invincible in open battle, with their foes before them, but even they must sleep sometime, and cannot parry the knife that comes from behind.

-The life of a assassin.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  21:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sourcemaster2

That's sort of what I meant. Could a wizard look for "the closest magical item?" That would reveal the nearest scroll, ring, wand, ect, without defining it specifically, so it could be used to search for any enchanted object in range, without having to look for, say, magical swords or such.

Yes, they could-be warned, they could find the closest rock with a light spell cast on it, though. And remember-any items the wizard is carrying are legal results for the spell, too.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  01:54:01  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For magical items, don't you have to cast detect magic? Also, for example, you could say a "portal" is a general item but to find a portal you have to cast Find Portal. Casting locate object wouldn't work in finding one.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2018 :  13:37:10  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Sourcemaster2,

I see this as quite a bit more involved than not. Here's why.

As I went through the PFCRB, I took note that there is no definition of object (I searched by that word, and no definition). So, after going to the dictionary, here is what it is:
quote:
a material thing that can be seen and touched.

The conjunction 'and' creates issues. Here is an example of just one issue that comes to mind:

- No objects exist to blind people because though they can be touched, they cannot be seen. So, in this case Locate Object couldn't work for a blind person since they have never seen items. Sure, they've felt them before, but that is not being seen, which is a past participle of see, which is:
quote:
perceive with the eyes; discern visually

Even with a secondary definition of seen, it seems difficult:
quote:
discern or deduce mentally after reflection or from information; understand

...since the issue is that you know exactly what it looks like. Though I take note of the first line of the spell Locate Object, which says,
quote:
You sense the direction of a well-known or clearly visualized object.

That is interesting, because the definition of visualize is:
quote:
form a mental image of; imagine

So in this case, you can at a minimum sense the direction of something you can form a mental image or or imagine. If you have seen it, or seemingly, can discern or deduce the object mentally after reflection or from information, then you can actually locate it, within the range of the spell. I don't see it as cut and dry as it could be.

To be perfectly frank, divination magic has in my opinion often been the worst worded Art in the game. I feel it is by far the most powerful Art, but due to a lack of articulation of definitions that allow a practitioner of Art to concisely utilize the spells, it gets thrown into a gray area.

That's my take, but then again, I'd love to hear other people's views. Perhaps I'm looking at it obtusely, and someone has additional insight.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Sourcemaster2

Can locate object be used to find magical items? The spell description says:
You sense the direction of a well-known or clearly visualized object. You can search for general items, in which case you locate the nearest one of its kind if more than one is within range. Attempting to find a certain item requires a specific and accurate mental image; if the image is not close enough to the actual object, the spell fails. You cannot specify a unique item unless you have observed that particular item firsthand (not through divination).
Would magical item be a "general item?" If not, does anyone know of a spell that specifically divines such items(besides the usual detect magic and arcane sight spells?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000