Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Watch Salute
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  15:41:40  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know if the Waterdeep Watch have a salute? And if it does what it is?

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  02:33:55  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobROE

Does anyone know if the Waterdeep Watch have a salute? And if it does what it is?

Have you ever watched Benny Hill? It's like that.

The watch having salutes would be odd; think of them as police, which is what they are.

Now the Guard, on the other hand.......

Steven
Who's never really given this any thought but supposes they might, and just keep it standard to whatever you'd like (i.e. straight hand snapped from elbow to just over one eyebrow when a superior officer approaches)

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  05:33:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

Egads! Thank you for dating both yourself and this scribe who remembers that show.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  06:25:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why all the questions about Waterdeep...if I may ask?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  08:14:19  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep picturing the salute in Life of Brian. Clenched fist to the side of the head with the solemn chant, "No blackmail".

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  08:40:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew someone was going to mention that reference sooner or later...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  10:54:24  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Hear that "woosh" sound? That's all the on-screen references going waaaaay over my head.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  12:51:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, if it makes you feel any better, I felt the same way when I first read Mr. Schend's "Benny Hill" reference...

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  14:11:28  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

The watch having salutes would be odd; think of them as police, which is what they are.

Now the Guard, on the other hand.......

Steven
Who's never really given this any thought but supposes they might, and just keep it standard to whatever you'd like (i.e. straight hand snapped from elbow to just over one eyebrow when a superior officer approaches)

You mean the Waterdeep Salute is a Middle aged man chasing a women wearing a Bikini?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  14:51:16  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Why all the questions about Waterdeep...if I may ask?

I'm about to start running a Waterdeep campaign where my players are part of the watch, and they're asking me questions that I don't have answers to. So I ask here.

Speaking of which:

Does anyone know how much it would cost to take classes at New Olamn?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  16:33:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
You mean the Waterdeep Salute is a Middle aged man chasing a women wearing a Bikini?

In a city that has dealt with Halastar's Harvestide such a chase scene would probably have most not even looking twice...save to check out the lady in the bikini.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  18:51:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
In a city that has dealt with Halastar's Harvestide such a chase scene would probably have most not even looking twice...save to check out the lady in the bikini.

Especially since El says to his daughter, when they were discussing Waterdeep and he dwelled with a group of woman, "They don't DO that in Waterdeep any more? Waterdeep must have changed more then I thought."

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  05:18:37  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While theres no mention of a physical salute

One of the watch commanders refers to Khelben Blackstaff as "your Splendidness" in the Novel Waterdeep

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  06:34:38  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I think that was also mentioned in one of the sourcebooks about Waterdeep as well Dargoth.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2018 :  16:03:57  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe BobROE,

Indeed there is is a salute in the Waterdeep Watch.
quote:
Salutes

Members of the City Guard salute often, usually with a raised weapon, but watch members seldom do so.

Some little-used formal and ceremonial salutes exist, but the most common watch salute performed indicates respect for someone's judgment, prowess at arms, or bravery. The saluter draws to attention, looks at the person to be honored, and while doing so, sharply raps the hilt of a sheathed weapon (usually a belt dagger) with one closed fist.

To any watch superior, a watch member salutes by tapping his temple smartly with an upraised, vertical forefinger.

The replying salute to an inferior is identical only if the superior officer desires to convey profound respect or gratitude.

Otherwise, the superior officer bends the left arm (at the elbow) up and across in front of her, turning that hand edgewise-on with fingers and thumb together ("a karate chop"), and strikes it gently, down from above, with the outside of her right hand, similarly bent but formed into a fist. (The fist "bounces" off the fingers of the other hand, after striking just once.)

A covert salute from a watch member to another officer (used in exaggerated, not-trying-to-hide form by officers not certain of the rank of the person they're saluting): Put the heel of the horizontal right hand on one's own belt, then swing fingers together in a single "tap" against the belt (as if patting one's own belly). If this is immediately followed by a move to scratch one's own left shoulder, it means: "Hi, there! I've got trouble, big trouble, and need you to stay and confer with me. Contrive to get close to me in some non-obvious manner, so we can talk."

This is from Ed's, The City Watch of Waterdeep, Part Two article, at:
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20050727a

Best regards,

quote:

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000