Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Music and Musical Instruments of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sachiel
Acolyte

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  03:49:12  Show Profile  Visit Sachiel's Homepage Send Sachiel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking for a listing of the various musical forms and musical instruments that have been presented in most of the Realms material (regardless of the edition). Can anyone help me?

I have a few examples of my own to start with, but my list is at home. So does anyone else wish to start off?

"Maybe all those people who think me a fool are onto something."
-- Danilo Thann, "Elfshadow"

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  04:58:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragon #124 had an article by Ed on unique musical instruments of the Realms. They were:

glaur
hand-drum
thelarr
tocken
wargong
zulkoon

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Sachiel
Acolyte

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  06:07:20  Show Profile  Visit Sachiel's Homepage Send Sachiel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thankyou George Krashos, I'll have to try and track that particular issue of Dragon down.

Does anyone know of any other old sources like the one George Krashos just mentioned?

"Maybe all those people who think me a fool are onto something."
-- Danilo Thann, "Elfshadow"
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  06:19:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page 22 of the FRCS...... :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  06:32:54  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sachiel

I'm looking for a listing of the various musical forms and musical instruments that have been presented in most of the Realms material (regardless of the edition). Can anyone help me?

I have a few examples of my own to start with, but my list is at home. So does anyone else wish to start off?

The ol' greybox had some Realmsian musical instruments detailed as well. Although, I'm not sure whether that material was also included in the Dragon article George was talking about. The 2eGrand Tour of the Realms also reprinted some of that older musical instrument information.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  06:56:25  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog had a very nice list of instruments as well. Many were generic, but several that have been mentioned above were also included.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  10:36:53  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the Players Guide to the Forgotten Realms (not to be confused with the Players Guide to Faerun) has a panel featuring instruments too.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  14:20:47  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good catch Rad, I'd forgotten about that one. Although I think that material was taken from the Grand Tour tome that I mentioned earlier. Much of that information was actually.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  14:21:30  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Music of the Forgotten Realms" (Dragon #123*) is the main source.

My list has
bandore, birdpipe, cittern, drum, dulcimer, fourpipes, glaur, hand-drum, handharp, harp, horn, longhorn, lute, lyre, mandolin, organ, pipe, psaltery, rebec, shawm, songhorn, tantan, thelarr, tocken, trumpet, wargong, yarting, zulkoon
?: baliset, crumhorn, duskhorn, reed-flute

* You won't regret getting #124, which has "Sailors on the Sea of Air" and "The Ecology of the Gelatinous Cube". It's the Dragon Magazine Archive CD-ROMs you want, though.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  14:32:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd suggest paying attention to the instruments of Focluchan's(I probably got that wrong, no way to check right now) college-and George(Krashos')'s article on plays and songs of the Realms on this site may be some help with the list of musical forms.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2018 :  16:05:47  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Sachiel,

Here is a compiled list of musical instruments for the Realms!

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Instruments

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Sachiel

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000