Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Inverse Gender
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  16:27:22  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings all! Im about to join in a game with a bit of a difference from what I normally do. Recently my character, Lord Strongheart, was killed in a rather embarrassing way. Rather use the same character [I consider him a passed hero] Ive decided to start a new character and am thinking about giving an "Inverse Gender" character a try. Rather, Im going to use a character of the opposite gender to myself.

Just wondering if anyone has ever taken on a character not of their gender and how did it go... is it any different than a same gender character???

"Those who watch their backs meet death from the front"

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  16:32:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, lots of people have done that. In fact, I remember one scribe who was suggesting that you weren't a good roleplayer until you tried the other side.

Which sounds like he was talking about something completely different.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  16:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I play quite a few-I seem to have a penchant for doing such. It goes fairly well, if you can roleplay well enough. My advice lies along the lines of stay away from stereotypes. You're going from male to female, right? Then don't be overtly feminine, and don't be the tough girl out to kick ass. Stay between the two-if you lay it on thick, it'll be annoying more than anything else. I'll try and think of some other points when I actually get home.

By the way, my user name and avatar choice were inspired by my longest running character(now retired, and turned into multiple plot hooks.). Just as the Sage is Rastromo Meradoc, I'm Arivia Elevor.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  17:43:05  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NightElf
Just wondering if anyone has ever taken on a character not of their gender and how did it go... is it any different than a same gender character???

Yes, I have played characters both female and male. To me a character is a character and the sex is not as important as other details such as fleshing the character out and making her/him three-dimensional.
Go to Top of Page

Xullrae Zauviir
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  17:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Xullrae Zauviir's Homepage Send Xullrae Zauviir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play males all the time, (usually as NPC's) Arivia gave sound advice. Good female character's that aren't out to kick butt or are too feminine would be like Catti-brie, or to see a wide range of women would be the Seven Sister's.

Women USUALLY (not all) who were not raised by mothers but by father's or just men in general, pick up masculine traits. In any case, it depends on how you want your character to be. Stereotypes might be necessary, there are woman who are prostitutes that seduction and fany or guady clothes are "second skin", where as a warrior typically has no need for such. Yet again, noble women can be very feminine, fine clothes, manners. As I said it depends on what type of background you choose for the character. You may choose a whiney spoiled brat, used to comforts and getting her way and have the character grow and harden up where she won't depend on these, and become more versed to men's clothing and hard work.

It can be very hard to play the oposite gender, specially if you do not how they think, hence when most folks do opposite gender's they end up making the stereotypes you were warned about.

Live spelled backwards is evil. Doesn't that mean that there is a measure of evil in everyone? Perhaps it was the god's hidden joke, but why are you scoffing that I admit I'm evil? At least I'm not slaughtering innocents and saying it's good and right. No matter how you look at it, it's still murder and therefore evil. Deep down, you are no better than I am. The only difference is that I may lie to others, but not to myself! ~Xull'rae Zauviir
Go to Top of Page

SoulLord
Seeker

Mexico
62 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  22:18:26  Show Profile  Visit SoulLord's Homepage Send SoulLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My female characters seem to be always too feminine which sometimes cause troubles with the girls in our group who are more than happy to point out that no "real" girl would behave like that :)

but it was fun trying, for my part i guess ill stick to males
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  14:59:59  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm about to play a female character in one of my campaigns right now :) I think the trick is not to put yourself in their shoes genderwise but to do it like a normal character you create put yourself through their past to see where they are now. I hope that makes sense. Also stick to your alignment that should be the main thing as long as you do that then once you get comfortable you can add certain female traits. Which seem to vary widely even more than males but like it was said before don't go for the regular stereotypes and you'll be fine

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  16:40:47  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Playing a female - I'm male and my favourite character is a female drow - shouldn't, as has been said, be any different than playing a male unless your campaign has any flirting/sexual themes. I mean sure - you probably arn't going to play a dwarf who rushes into orcs shouting curses and oaths to Moradin, then goes to an inn and drinks himself into a stupor... but other than stereotypes like that, adventurer men shouldn't be that different from adventuerer women.

Female drow are both easier in some respects, and harder in other - in one way you are playing someone who is used to being the dominant sex, but then again sexism such as practiced in drow culture isn;t really very big these days (most of the time... I hope!)

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

labcoatmunkey124
Acolyte

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  22:07:49  Show Profile  Visit labcoatmunkey124's Homepage Send labcoatmunkey124 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer to stick to my own gender (easier to understand and less confintation w/in the group) but i do understand the challenge to try the opposite gender.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  02:42:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never had the urge to play a character of the opposite sex... It's just never occurred to me at character creation time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  02:50:21  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel I can respond to this topic with a reasonable amount of insight. I actively play somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 characters by pbem and roughly half of them are female.

I make it a point in the character creation process to make a character a whole person. I think it was Stan Lee who said "a great character almost writes himself." Or something like that.

Once you've crafted a character as a whole you should know certain things about them. How they see themselves how they look at the world, how they feel about sex, law, vegetables etc.

In short I think most people stop before they truly finish creating the character. THAT'S how you get stereotypes. In the lack of any real background to fall back on the stereotype becomes the norm.

I will freely admit to playing one or two seemingly overtly feminine characters. One was only barely raised by her father who compensated for his lack of knowledge about "girly-stuff" shipped his daughter off to every charm-school related activity he could afford. She spent a great deal of time being taught how to be a lady but occasionally rebels against it. She's spoiled but not too badly and lived a protected life until she got into a huge fight with her father and ran away.

That's just one example but you can see how there's a foundation for it. Let's face it people there's a couple of billion people in our world. We've all seen girly girls and girly guys and men's men and women who act like men. Anything is possible but in order for the character to make sense you MUST UNDERSTAND her/him.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2004 :  04:42:41  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artalis
That's just one example but you can see how there's a foundation for it.

And in that one example, you've just shown what I fear is a dying art at least as far as NPCs found in the majority of D20 products....actually fleshing out a character's personality/background/etc. over making sure all the prestige classes, feats are listed.
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  01:16:34  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would agree totally that the most important art of establishing a character is having a total handle on what their personality is, some idea of the spark that's central to their being. That's not necessarily knowing all the specifics right away, but at least knowing how to respond in character to anything that comes up. Once you've got that, these sorts of characters can just write themselves. And if you've got it right you don't need tonnes of cliched mannerisms of one gender or another to establish what sex they are.

If you don't feel you can manage that for the opposite sex, that's fine. Men and women have failed to understand each other for hundreds of years, so its no surprise when you can't pin down that male to female (or female to male) character you're trying to get.

On the other hand, look at the women in your life for inspiration... like at their mannerisms, opinions, morals and general outlook on life and see if any of that helps you imagine a new person. I'm very grateful to one of my early girlfriends, as her incredible sense of indepedence and spirit helped many a character (male or female) get some badly needed individuality.

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005

Edited by - Gerath Hoan on 18 May 2004 01:18:39
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  03:02:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gerath Hoan
On the other hand, look at the women in your life for inspiration... like at their mannerisms, opinions, morals and general outlook on life and see if any of that helps you imagine a new person.

Or if you have in-laws like some of us...whenever you need a new villian.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  15:27:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In regards to this topic and on the Sirius thought he had heard it all front, I found the following post at the start of a thread on another board:

quote:

My dm says that girls can only play wizards and clerics and classes like that. I want to play a paladin, but he says that only guys can be paladins. Help is that true?

Incredible. Time to find a new DM is what I think.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  16:55:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

In regards to this topic and on the Sirius thought he had heard it all front, I found the following post at the start of a thread on another board:

quote:

My dm says that girls can only play wizards and clerics and classes like that. I want to play a paladin, but he says that only guys can be paladins. Help is that true?

Incredible. Time to find a new DM is what I think.

That's simply preposterous. I agree with Sirius -- time to lose that DM.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  17:34:11  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

One thing to note, I think we are dealing with teen players and/or DM. But, even with that in mind, I still think it's time for the DM to gain some quick enlightenment or be discarded. The people I gamed with when I was a teen would have never agreed with such a sentiment.
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  17:36:22  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am i right in thinking that the Paladin pictured next to the class description in the PHB is a woman?

That DM deserves to be... well, i can't think of anything appropriate right now, but you get the picture.

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  17:41:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gerath Hoan

Am i right in thinking that the Paladin pictured next to the class description in the PHB is a woman?

Yes, if I recall correctly, someone at the other board brought up this point.

I think it's a case of a DM with selective vision/memory wishing to exert his own control over the players.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  17:49:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

One thing to note, I think we are dealing with teen players and/or DM. But, even with that in mind, I still think it's time for the DM to gain some quick enlightenment or be discarded. The people I gamed with when I was a teen would have never agreed with such a sentiment.

I was thinking it was prolly a teen DM, as well. I can't see to many adult DMs trying to pull off that one.

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  10:52:04  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been known to play both. I don't really have a preference for either as in some games stats aren't affected by gender, however I tend to go as male if game rulz states that gender does affect stats. Males have greater strength so they can carry more loot.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000