Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 A tale of loss...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2003 :  21:15:34  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What follows is back story for a character. I would appreciate any constructive critique. I am aware however (before you start in) that the primary combatants during the fall of Myth Drannor were Tan'aari (sp?)and this is a modification in my campaign.

Of Vanima Alkarinque (the beautiful star) and her love Anoran Astald'osta (sunrise valiant defender)

Anoran Astald'osta was a bladesinger of great renown in the fabled realm of Myth Drannor.

He had a special bond with the Goddess Hanali Celanil as he had defended her temples and followers many times. He enjoyed her favor and was granted the powers of a demi-paladin in her service. His singing voice was renowned far and wide for he often acted as an emissary of the Coronal to other elven realms. He was often asked to sing for the nobles there during those visits.

Though he was in many ways a typical Sun Elf (opinionated, aloof and severe), he had a kindness about him that his brethren lacked. He was a very eligible bachelor for a long time as he did not find anyone who suited him very well. He also was not much of a suitor as he was actually quite shy when it came to matters of the heart.

In the years approaching the fall of Myth Drannor (710 DR or so) he met and fell in love with Vanima Alkarinque a high priestess of Hanali Celanil. He lacked the courage to explain his feelings to her, as he had seen her gently turn away all suitors in a fashion unlike any of Hanali’s chosen. Not an encouraging sign.

What Anoran did not know was that Vanima’s heart had already been won by him. She had heard him sing at the Coronal’s Feast and her heart went out to him, never to be free to roam again. She had seen the great warrior in the company of many of the priestesses of Hanali but she lacked the courage to make her feelings known to him. Ironic, in the extreme since it is that courage that she counseled so many young lovers to have in the pursuit of their own loves.

Finally one evening while Anoran was praying in the Great Temple of the Seldarine an assassin stealthily found his way into the temple with the intention of slaying Vanima and any other of Hanali’s faithful that he could lay his hands on. Anoran discovered and trailed the assassin to Vanima’s chambers and drove him off. Anoran was unable to kill the assassin as he had fled too quickly. He did discover that the assassin was Drow however.

In gratitude Vanima embraced Anoran and as they looked into each other’s eyes, their courage waned. The both stammered, overwhelmed by the depths of their attraction for each other and began to back off, flustered.

Hanali Celanil had other plans for them it seems, however. A gentle warmth spread thru Vanima’s soul as Hanali gently asked her for use of her body. Vanima gratefully gave herself to her goddess and began to glow with a divine radiance. Anoran was overwhelmed with the beauty of the goddess’s spirit combined with the love he already had for Vanima. That evening was their taste of Arvandor. The child they conceived that night would be blessed indeed.

After that night the goddess’s blessing stayed with the couple. They enjoyed a year of true bliss until their child was born and the time of Myth Drannor came to an end.

In the final days of Myth Drannor, Anoran had a vision given to him by his Moonblade.

It showed him his death at the hands of a Drow Army at the South Gate of one of the outlying walls. It also showed his best friend, Lenathil Enterasti, crippled and bleeding to but barely hanging on to life.

Anoran, feeling that the blade was looking out for the best interests of “the people”, did not try to alter his fate. Instead he prepared himself and his wife for the events to come. He prayed to Hanali to protect his wife and child and gathered together all the warriors under his command as a Captain and a Bladesinger.

The following night, his small force of 32 Bladesingers and Knights stood against a small army of Drow, and their summoned creatures. At the other gates other forces were engaged and no help was coming for them.

By dawn the blade’s prophecy had come to pass. Anoran had died at the hands of a Drow Mage of great power the victim of a Meteor Swarm. Lenathil suffered great wounds in combat losing his left hand and an eye to the blade of a master swordsman, though he finally won in the end.

When the battle was over Lenathil was healed by a spell from one of the clerics though his hand and eye were gone forever. He took Anoran’s body to Vanima with the hopes that she could raise him, but to no avail. Bitterness overtook her spirit and her faith wavered for the first time in her life.

She thanked Lenathil for his friendship and bid him to go and train others to replace what had been lost that day.

Lenathil swore on his blade that he would not rest so long as he lived until Anoran had been avenged and that he would indeed make sure that many bladesingers would rise to take the place of the fallen.

Vanima spent the following days healing the warriors who came back from the gates until finally she was shot with an enchanted poison arrow by a Drow assassin. She had spent all her energy healing the warriors and had no magicks left to save herself with.

She dragged herself to the cradle where her infant son lay to say goodbye and hold him one last time. At that moment, T’sora Elial’mystyl, a high mage and a friend of hers who had heard of her wounding burst into the room. Being a mage she had no healing magic but he tried to save her by casting her own high magic spell Time Stop, to give enough time for help to arrive. The spell went terribly awry and hurtled Vanima and her child 286 years into the future in the same exact spot, out of the reach of her magicks and tragically out of the reach of help as well.

They lay under a beautiful moonlight sky in the ruins of Myth Drannor, mother and child amidst the rubble. It was on a summer night in the year 1000 DR and as she lay dying, she swore an oath to the heavens with all the strength left in her being; That for every good elf that had died that day, a hundred Drow would die in retribution. Little did she know how true her vow would become.

In the days following Vanima’s vanishing Lenathil buried Anoran Astald’osta with honor in a crypt in the center of Myth Drannor. With him was buried his treasures; armor, longswords, and spell books penned by his hand, waiting to be claimed by one worthy.

Above his tomb he had Anoran’s Moonblade placed in a powerful stasis field. There the blade, named Astald'osta after the house it belonged to, awaited its destined wielder.

Artalis

Email

Edited by - Artalis on 14 Mar 2003 18:14:12

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  05:39:01  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds like an awesome adventure. I could see every detail. I would use this canpaign but I don't do the campaigns, I'm in the books more. But I still love your idea.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2003 :  21:42:53  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<applauds> A fine tale my friend - very good narrative and language and not cliched...I can only say I will be sorry not to take part in the campaign you're running

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2003 :  07:05:16  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, very well done. I hope the campaign reads as well as the background (assuming you'll put that up).

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2003 :  21:19:26  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Yes, very well done. I hope the campaign reads as well as the background (assuming you'll put that up).

Thank you everyone for your kind words. The campaign overview (if you can call it that) is in Nighteyes' Character Description.

Nighteyes is unaware of the identity of his parents and their story which is told above, but certain key individuals do know and are waiting to tell him when he is ready. (Don't ask me what they are waiting for, because I don't know yet) At least one of those individuals will be revealed to anyone with the patience to read thru those little pieces .

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  21:43:01  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow that is a very ineresting and in-depth story. Seeing as its been quite a while since you started this campaign is there any chance to see an update on the story?

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  21:53:18  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

Wow that is a very ineresting and in-depth story. Seeing as its been quite a while since you started this campaign is there any chance to see an update on the story?

It's actually the background for my pbem that I run. It's only about a year old or so but it's going pretty well.

If you would like to see how it's going I'll send you an invite. Keep in mind however I don't allow lurkers to post to the list.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  21:57:59  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes please and thank you! Don't worry I'll be content to just read as the story unfolds

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  07:58:17  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost 100 post in now and so far its a really good beginning I have one question before I call it a night. Did you ask for all of them to choose characters with elven blood or did they do that on their own after knowing the general plot?

I think it makes for a most interesting interaction with them all having elf blood but different backgrounds and personalities. I can't wait to read more But it will have to wait until tomorrow I'm afraid

~Lee N.

Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  08:28:40  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was somewhat weird I think most of them picked it without even realizing. All of the characters started offlist and all of the players were given wide range to create the characters. I got some really interesting ones outta this group.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  19:28:07  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes a very diverse and interesting group And it really fits too that they all have elf blood that is weird how that worked out

I'm a little over 200 posts into it now and I have another question hehe. How much is going on 'behind the scenes' through e-mail not on posts? I'm really curious about how all of this works.

I was thinking (just in general now) what if each player sent there intentions to the DM. Then after recieving one from everyone the DM compiles them all (either in order of making sense or by initiative order) then posts that with DM notes included for everyone to reply to again? I know this would be a lot more work for the DM but to me I think it would make things flow more smoothly (if slowly). That way too no one gets left behind if they can't post as often as everyone else too. I'm sure someone has done it this way before I just want to know your opinion and thoughts about this, please

~Lee N.

Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  00:20:27  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes a very diverse and interesting group And it really fits too that they all have elf blood that is weird how that worked out

I'm a little over 200 posts into it now and I have another question hehe. How much is going on 'behind the scenes' through e-mail not on posts? I'm really curious about how all of this works.

I was thinking (just in general now) what if each player sent there intentions to the DM. Then after recieving one from everyone the DM compiles them all (either in order of making sense or by initiative order) then posts that with DM notes included for everyone to reply to again? I know this would be a lot more work for the DM but to me I think it would make things flow more smoothly (if slowly). That way too no one gets left behind if they can't post as often as everyone else too. I'm sure someone has done it this way before I just want to know your opinion and thoughts about this, please

Yeah that's a possibility though personally I am far far too lazy to even consider that method.

However combat does work somewhat like what you are describing everyone sort of declares their intentions. I personally can't hold back excited players from posting as much as they like because one or two other players are slow posters. If it's not combat it's a free-for-all basically. There are "rules" by which posters have to abide by however, such as not assuming actions or saying how another player acts or feels unless they have specifically cleared that with the player previously. There are a bunch of "etiquette rules" that go along with playing in this format but I have to say that even though the pace is slow it's the second best gaming experience I've ever had. The first being playing over instant messanger with another person dm'ing or me dm'ing and the other person being the pc. There's much less social interaction in this fashion but it's very deep and involving (and as time consuming as tabletop so I don't have time for it very often.)

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  00:26:09  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Forgot to address this question. There is a HUGE amount going on off list. I have a rule that says anytime someone is out of earshot from the majority of the group the post goes oflist and is copied only to those who can hear/see what's going on. It's a little more work but I find that it is much more realistic. I don't like players knowing things that their characters don't know.

So for instance there's a couple of months worth of posting before most of the characters actually got on the list

That way I could avoid the "You all meet in a tavern" syndrome. (YUK!)

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  00:42:26  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow that is amazing!

I was wondering how playing over messenger would work as well, I haddn't thought if it just being the DM and one player. I was just thinking of a group and how hard that would be for them all to have time at the same time But just one or two players hmm that could be very interesting...

That makes a lot more sense now if theres a lot going on 'behind the scenes'. I was wondering because a lot of times one or two of them go into a room then you hear them scream or they come back out with a bag of items or whatever. Besides those things I could just kind of tell there was more going on you know?

Hmm I guess most of those etiquette rules are just implied? I guess every DM might be a little different though.

This is soo interesting, thank you for taking the time to answer all of my questions I'm off to read more, I'm sure I'll have more questions later

~Lee N.

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  04:03:54  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As you know, I'm sure, I've been awful busy moving lately and haven't had a chance to finish catching up yet. But from as far as I got I do have another question.

Is there somewhere that you keep a log of everything said "behind the scenes" through e-mail? Couldn't you post that stuff in seperate sections so if the players didn't want to read it they wouldn't have to but if some did or someone like me came to read later they could get the full story? How about the whispered conversations? Are those just between the two involved or do you get to read them too?

~Lee N.

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  04:07:51  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On another subject... I thought it was very interesting how you kept with the main character. How you keep the posts from whatever group she is in. I think that is cool. Its also interesting that she is the most reserved of the characters Which is a good thing, I hope she plays a bigger part as the story progresses

~Lee N.

Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  05:42:06  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I'm not sure who you mean! ROFL!

I am pretty sure it's a coincedence. Which character were you referring to?

Damia? Unfortunately her player resigned the character and she is now an npc. It's too bad the character had SOOOO much potential.

I just try to keep the list focused on wherever the majority of the pcs are at.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  01:53:47  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont remember her name right now but she is the paladin looking for the sword
I agree with you completely her character sure did have a lot of potential I was hoping we would learn a lot more about her oh well

~Lee N.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000