Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Conspiracy theory: ManSHOON
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redking
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2022 :  07:33:57  Show Profile Send redking a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Manshoon, or rather ManSHOON, is a son of the Shoon Imperium and a direct descendant of Shoon IV. At this point you are asking yourself "where is the proof?". I freely admit that this is an etymological argument.

Realistic plot twist or grasping at straws?

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2022 :  08:23:59  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no commentary on this but the irony that I actually just had a similar plotline where Manshoon had been replaced by someone who taken his title who was a Shoon dynasty descendant.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2022 :  14:19:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed told me this many years ago:

Manshoon’s family name is “Shoon,” and all members of his family use a single name, derived by adding a prefix to “Shoon” (usually an established family one, such as Brar/Brarrara; Caul/Caulra; Dusk/Duskra; Farl/Farla; Gul/Gularra; Harl/Harla; Kul/Kuldra; Man/Mana; Pel/Pelra; Sarr/Sarrla; Tarl/Tarla; Vorl/Vorlarra [the male form first, female form second]). So, no first name and surname, just a single name. This is a naming convention once very popular in southerly coastal lands (of the coast known, in its more northerly reaches, as the Sword Coast), but now dying out because most of the peoples who used it were conquered or made slaves, and gradually died out or intermarried and in any case adopted the naming conventions of those “over” them (so as to “belong” and escape inferior status).

I note as an aside, after the fall of the Shoon Imperium, many corrupt wizards and officials from the Shoon Empire fled to the Inner Sea lands, settling everywhere (see reference, Sea of Fallen Stars, p.5) - I expect that Manshoon's ancestors were of this ilk and adopted the Shoon name for the effect and notoriety it brought. I don't believe there is a direct connection however between Manshoon's ancestors and the qysars of the Shoon Imperium.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2391 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2022 :  15:14:37  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeing how the Shoons were a dynasty that wasn't too short-lived, and in a place with rather high population density, it really should not be a surprise if their relatives and offshoons offshoots were numerous and a lot of them are still around, even if they weren't the sort diligently working to populate half of a subcontinent with their mostly-illegitimate offspring like those Obarskyrs (and someone probably was).
Oh, it was already answered:
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

That's not so hard. Manshoon's family was originally from those parts, but Manshoon's personal history is almost purely Moonsea. What he did after he became Manshoon of the Zhentarim, well I'm guessing he may have visited the ancestral home ... in Shoonach ... once or twice. He certainly had a spell cache there as I understand and "Cloak & Dagger" alludes to him getting stuff from there after the clones ran amok.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 08 Apr 2022 15:21:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2022 :  23:52:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen the argument, more than once, that "these words are similar and that has to mean something!" But I just look at existing, real words, like care, card, cart, and carp. All very similar words, but there's no connection at all between the things described.

And in the Realms, names get reused for rather dissimilar things/unrelated entities, too. Torm the rogue, member of the Knights of Myth Drannor, is rather dissimilar from Torm the deity, but they share a name.

So I need a lot more to convince me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2022 :  03:19:24  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've seen the argument, more than once, that "these words are similar and that has to mean something!" But I just look at existing, real words, like care, card, cart, and carp. All very similar words, but there's no connection at all between the things described.

And in the Realms, names get reused for rather dissimilar things/unrelated entities, too. Torm the rogue, member of the Knights of Myth Drannor, is rather dissimilar from Torm the deity, but they share a name.

So I need a lot more to convince me.

Torm the rogue had a fun time dressing up the Sylune clone in the so-called fripperies. I expect Torm the Loyal Fury to take an extremely different stance, especially since his clergy have to repay the Debt of Destruction. No point in needlessly ticking off Mystra or her Chosen in the process.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000