Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  02:24:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage Operth? Heh, that's cute.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  04:18:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So we can assume that is Sage's real name, or some derivation there of?

Thats what I would call a VERY 'inside joke'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  04:23:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

He used to call himself the Sage of Perth.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  05:10:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What Wooly said.

Basically, when I first arrived at Candlekeep, I was known as the "Sage of Perth" because I was largely the only Australian here. And, it helped also that I had a small hamlet named Perth in my Realms [just south of Cloak Wood, which was the initial setting for a lot of my original fiction for the campaigns I ran back in the late 80's.] Perth was also the temporary home for Rastromo Meradoc, the most famous of my Realms NPCs, and the REAL Sage of Perth -- which I borrowed for my username here.

Eventually though, I asked Alaundo to drop the "of Perth" part of my name and just kept it as "The Sage." If you search through some of the oldest scrolls here at Candlekeep, you'll see the older name used in quotes and stuff.

[Though, I am kinda surprised Krash remembered this. You've got quite a memory there, my friend. ]

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 May 2009 05:12:24
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  16:26:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh.

Even Candlekeep has its own 'lore'.

I'm too boring too come up with intersting screenames - I always use Markustay, on every site.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  17:19:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh.

Even Candlekeep has its own 'lore'.

I'm too boring too come up with intersting screenames - I always use Markustay, on every site.

Well, I personally chose an obscure Spelljammer reference... I picked it because it was obscure, and because the concept behind it is so ridiculous.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  18:05:10  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a Spelljammer NPC gnome who was obsessed with finding and slaying Wooly Rupert- the gnome, 'Baha' was searching for the "Great white Hamster what sunk me old 'Jammer and took me leg to the phlogiston-y...phlogiston". In his great ship Melville, he and his crusty crew braved wildspace time and time again in search of the Devil-Rodent. The PCs mostly dealt with his cabin-boy, Ish, though his 'Chief Harpoonista-ist' Quegquee saved the party's bacon once.
And with all that heavy-handedness, the players never got the reference...*sigh*
Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread! (Sorry to hijack, Sage and George!)

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  19:52:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

I had a Spelljammer NPC gnome who was obsessed with finding and slaying Wooly Rupert- the gnome, 'Baha' was searching for the "Great white Hamster what sunk me old 'Jammer and took me leg to the phlogiston-y...phlogiston". In his great ship Melville, he and his crusty crew braved wildspace time and time again in search of the Devil-Rodent. The PCs mostly dealt with his cabin-boy, Ish, though his 'Chief Harpoonista-ist' Quegquee saved the party's bacon once.
And with all that heavy-handedness, the players never got the reference...*sigh*
Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread! (Sorry to hijack, Sage and George!)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  09:02:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found this scroll floating in the ether:-
quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

Dear George

As the infinite font of historical lore do you know where I can find information on the history and doings of the city of Myth Glaurach??? I have Mintipers Chapbook, and the Last Mythal series, but do you have any other suggestions?

Cheers

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jun 2009 09:05:10
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  13:31:28  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Two Shoon Liches is one too many.

Liches are great, but thats just a bit redundant... unless Larloch got ahold of the earlier one and he's one of his minions now (making him just a footnote).

I should really ask Steven what he thinks happened to Shoon VII when the Spellplague hit, now that I think about it - I can't help but feel sorry for that poor Elven Girl trapped inthe Tome of the Unicorn.

I found another Shoon - I think in PftM - who was "just an adventurer". You might be able to tie him to the family somehow.

Did you also count the infamous Krashoon? (seriously, I *must* use that name now in my campaign... the next adventure will include a spectral wizard, so maybe he will become Krashoon the Ghost Wizard!)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  19:20:37  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

Two Shoon Liches is one too many.

Liches are great, but thats just a bit redundant... unless Larloch got ahold of the earlier one and he's one of his minions now (making him just a footnote).

I should really ask Steven what he thinks happened to Shoon VII when the Spellplague hit, now that I think about it - I can't help but feel sorry for that poor Elven Girl trapped inthe Tome of the Unicorn.

I found another Shoon - I think in PftM - who was "just an adventurer". You might be able to tie him to the family somehow.

Did you also count the infamous Krashoon? (seriously, I *must* use that name now in my campaign... the next adventure will include a spectral wizard, so maybe he will become Krashoon the Ghost Wizard!)

Krashoon?

Does this just sound like one of Jack Kirby's strange sound effects drawn out? Seriously--I can see this in explosive letters as Ben Grimm is launched toward the reader from the fists of a Power-Cosmic enhanced Dr. Doom....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  19:36:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe he was the father of Jameshoon, the self-styled "eater of worlds" - a rather infamous Planeswalker of some renown.

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Jun 2009 19:36:41
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2009 :  00:30:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Found this scroll floating in the ether:-
quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

Dear George

As the infinite font of historical lore do you know where I can find information on the history and doings of the city of Myth Glaurach??? I have Mintipers Chapbook, and the Last Mythal series, but do you have any other suggestions?

Cheers

Hmm, I gave this question a response on its own thread - well, the short correct one of "nope". But then I've thought that the response is hardly useful. I'll check with Ed re anything he might have floating re Myth Glaurach and ... make some 'stuff' up and see what we can do to give Myth Glaurach a bit more padding.

-- George Krashos

P.S. I realised that Ed sent me an e-mail last year regarding the genesis of the Man-Shoon nomenclature after one of my or Eric's queries. A HD crash put paid to that. He'll still have it so I'll ask for a re-send and try and get the information. I thought the scribes here might be interested in it given that it did mention Manshoon's sister ...

Manshoon having an old ancestor named Krashoon sounds pretty good to me though!

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2009 :  01:33:39  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Manshoon´s sister?
Now that´s...interesting...to say the least.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2009 :  02:18:49  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about his oddball cousin--- Mushshoon?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2009 :  02:41:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dart Ambermoon

Manshoon´s sister?

Her name is Womanshoon.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2009 :  08:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Manshoon´s sister?

Her name is Womanshoon.

Are you sure Wooly ?
I believed that Womanshoon was Manshonn's wife !
Isn't his sister's name Sistershoon ?
And of course, they're part of the Shoon dynasty !...

Allright, I stop kiddy now ! But Wooly was the first !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2009 :  18:59:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Sistershoon was the one who entered that convent...

You know, the one dedicated to Loviatar, which had Nuns decked-out in Leather.
quote:

Manshoon´s sister?

You know, it would be just like Ed to throw us a curve-ball.

Perhaps the 'love' Manshoon felt for the Shadowsil wasn't one of physical passion... perhaps it was more... familial.. in nature.

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Jul 2009 19:04:37
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2009 :  15:10:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very Cool.

Obviously my guess about the Sahdowsil was incorrect, since Manshoon doesn't appear to have much 'familial' love in him.

Thanks for sharing that, GK.

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Jul 2009 15:11:08
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2009 :  00:24:38  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I've finally found Ed's missive regarding Manshoon. Here it is in all its (short) glory ...
-- George Krashos

Thanks George for sharing- so two missing 'shoons' to keep Manshoon busy and out of mischief

Do we know who sired his niece? (brother or sister), am wondering how she survived and whom the other parent is.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2009 :  08:55:51  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I DID always wonder whether there was any form of link between Manshoon (or, it now turns out, the Shoons) and the Shoon of Calimshan (those lovely people who set up the Shoon empire). The naming conventions of that clan are different, though ("proper" first name and family name, rather than a single name). Either this might be a covert link, or one of Big Ed's "similar or identical names but completely different things" that he built into his original setting...
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  15:33:52  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[...]
Ashe Ravenheart, one of the scribes here, did an awesome job of coverting my mantles stuff into a FR format PDF.
[...]

May I ask where one can find this and other PDFs that have been mentioned in this scroll?
Anyway, thank you for all your fantastic work, Mr Krashos!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  05:46:54  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[...]
Ashe Ravenheart, one of the scribes here, did an awesome job of coverting my mantles stuff into a FR format PDF.
[...]

I'm interested in those PDFs too, but I'd also like to thank Ashe here for his work in converting to PDF my Cormyr monarchs succession lineage (not the Cormyr lineage, just what I've been able to cobble together from published sources; still hoping we'll get to see the real thing before the Dark Eight have to form a hockey team...). I've asked Alaundo and The Sage if they want to host the file, but I haven't heard back from either of them. Perhaps I should remind them...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 18 Aug 2009 05:47:27
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  07:41:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could've sworn I replied back to you with an affirmative, Jakk.

But, anyways, if you'd like to send the file along, I'll see that it's included on the shelves of Candlekeep itself.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  07:58:59  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I could've sworn I replied back to you with an affirmative, Jakk.

But, anyways, if you'd like to send the file along, I'll see that it's included on the shelves of Candlekeep itself.

File sent... now returning you to George's scroll...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  04:53:27  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've finally found Ed's missive regarding Manshoon. Here it is in all its (short) glory ...

Manshoon’s family name is “Shoon,” and all members of his family use a single name, derived by adding a prefix to “Shoon” (usually an established family one, such as Brar/Brarrara; Caul/Caulra; Dusk/Duskra; Farl/Farla; Gul/Gularra; Harl/Harla; Kul/Kuldra; Man/Mana; Pel/Pelra; Sarr/Sarrla; Tarl/Tarla; Vorl/Vorlarra [the male form first, female form second]). So, no first name and surname, just a single name. This is a naming convention once very popular in southerly coastal lands (of the coast known, in its more northerly reaches, as the Sword Coast), but now dying out because most of the peoples who used it were conquered or made slaves, and gradually died out or intermarried and in any case adopted the naming conventions of those “over” them (so as to “belong” and escape inferior status).

This of course, tells you where Manshoon’s family originally came from. Don’t forget he had an older brother; as far as we know in print thus far, he killed off all of his kin, but the Knights have been searching for an elusive sister of his (Duskrashoon) AND a niece (Tarlashoon) for years, without success - - because they’ve been hiding from Manshoon, and know his finding them will mean their deaths; they are of course far from Zhentil Keep and don’t use their original names.

-- George Krashos

I don't know why it took me this long to ask this question, being the obsessive genealogist that I am, but I was wondering if the precise connection between Manshoon and his infamous southern relatives has been mapped out, and if so, is it NDA? (I'll assume an affirmative answer to the latter question, regardless of the answer to the former.)

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  13:05:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, no details regarding the Shoon Dynasty and Shoon family have been mapped out that I'm aware of - of course Ed has that answer (and a myriad of others) so I guess we'll have to defer to him.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  07:06:22  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh... six months later and I'm still awaiting a reply from Ed on this, so my guess is that the relevant notes are buried deeply amid the copious piles of Realmslore.

I've had lots of other projects keeping me busy lately... most of them outside the Realms, sadly. However, I've recently got myself involved in something I've dubbed "Project Isle"... and I've been having loads of fun getting it started.

Edited by - Jakk on 17 May 2010 07:07:33
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  11:09:46  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Manshoon clone returning from Shoulung accompanied by a pig, a water salamander and a monkey......Wushoon......bhahahahahahahaha

Hi George...when did the Elven realm within the Gray Forest, finally fall?????

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  11:35:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those pesky 'gremlins' again...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic