Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Amber Dragon spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2021 :  16:28:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Working on an idea for an amber dragon in Anchorome, and was developing some spells that he may have developed or learned. Just thought I'd share and see if it sparks ideas in anyone that they'd be willing to share (doesn't need to be fully formed, I can adapt). I think from the spells themselves you'll get the tone of what the dragon is like.

Honey Harvest
1st-level evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: ten minutes
You point at a beehive within range and smoke begins to envelop the area within a 20 foot radius. The honey in the hive becomes slightly warmer and begins to drip out of the bottom of the hive, emptying the hive of half its honey over the next five minutes. This spell is a creation of the woodland urskan of Beyori riverlands of central Anchorome, but it has been learned by Pe'net'teretrix the amber greatwyrm.

Rapid Maize Detonation
2nd-level evocation
Duration: one minute
When cast on a field of maize, the kernels of the corn react as if they were popping maize within a 60 foot radius over the next minute. This works on any type of maize, so long as there are ears ready to harvest. This spell notedly also works on fields of sorghum, barley, quinoa, and rice. This spell is a creation of Pe'net'teretrix the amber greatwyrm, who uses it to swoop in for a snack, and he is known to use his plant growth spell of farmer's fields who agree to tend fields for him for this exact purpose. He is known to use this spell at celebrations of Minnenewah as a simple form of entertainment for young children, of which he is fond.

Coniferous Expulsion
2nd-level conjuration
Duration: one minute
This spell causes a flurry of coniferous cones (such as the cones from a pine tree) to begin flying within a forty foot radius. These pine cones cause very little damage (a single point of slashing damage to anyone in the radius each round), but they are extremely annoying and distracting. Anyone in this region finds their initiative count reduced by 5, and any attempts to concentrate on a spell or cast a spell in the area effect require a will save. Also, any ranged weapon attacks using ammunition from within this area effect or into this area effect are made at a disadvantage.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2021 :  18:42:03  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
Just thought I'd share and see if it sparks ideas in anyone that they'd be willing to share (doesn't need to be fully formed, I can adapt).

Not exactly what you asked for, but might spark something ...

Kindlecone
Price (Item Level): 2,250 gp (6th)
Body Slot: —(held)
Caster Level: 9th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 20) conjuration (summoning)
Activation: Burning
Weight: 1 lb.

This blackened pinecone has been dipped in dark ink and dried.

A kindlecone is a single use magic item that is triggered by placing it with a flame for three successive rounds.
Lore: Kindlecones were the creation of the Cult of the Dragon, but their use has spread to other evil groups and the Church of Kossuth. Followers of the Scaly Way delight in hiding kindlecones in in burn pits at well-known campsites or throwing them into a nearby hearth when attacked.
Effects: When ignited, a kindlecone summons a blazewyrm (see Dragon Magic, pages 111-112) to appear amidst the flames. The chaotic blazewyrm delights in burning anything that can be set alight, especially other creatures. Tumbling through the air like a ball of fire, it moves among its enemies with impunity, leaving smoldering corpses in its wake. A blazewyrm summoned by a kindlecone lasts for 9 rounds or until destroyed. Extinguishing the flame by which it was summoned has no effect.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, summon monster V.
Cost to Create: 1,125 gp, 90 XP, 3 days.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2021 :  19:39:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
Just thought I'd share and see if it sparks ideas in anyone that they'd be willing to share (doesn't need to be fully formed, I can adapt).

Not exactly what you asked for, but might spark something ...

Kindlecone
Price (Item Level): 2,250 gp (6th)
Body Slot: —(held)
Caster Level: 9th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 20) conjuration (summoning)
Activation: Burning
Weight: 1 lb.

This blackened pinecone has been dipped in dark ink and dried.

A kindlecone is a single use magic item that is triggered by placing it with a flame for three successive rounds.
Lore: Kindlecones were the creation of the Cult of the Dragon, but their use has spread to other evil groups and the Church of Kossuth. Followers of the Scaly Way delight in hiding kindlecones in in burn pits at well-known campsites or throwing them into a nearby hearth when attacked.
Effects: When ignited, a kindlecone summons a blazewyrm (see Dragon Magic, pages 111-112) to appear amidst the flames. The chaotic blazewyrm delights in burning anything that can be set alight, especially other creatures. Tumbling through the air like a ball of fire, it moves among its enemies with impunity, leaving smoldering corpses in its wake. A blazewyrm summoned by a kindlecone lasts for 9 rounds or until destroyed. Extinguishing the flame by which it was summoned has no effect.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, summon monster V.
Cost to Create: 1,125 gp, 90 XP, 3 days.

Thank you Eric.... actually that does give me an idea, but in a slightly different direction. A sap cone... it absorbs an amber dragon's breath weapon to be used as a single target effect similar to hold person... Given to allies of amber dragons for use in protecting young wyrmlings. Temporary magic item that if not used in X days its magic fades away (to prevent stockpiling by the dragon OR the PC's).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 25 Nov 2021 20:54:38
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2021 :  17:22:38  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WARNING: I've been collecting spells for YEARS and have no idea where some of them came from. The spells I post may or may not be of my own creation. Here's one that can be reskinned for sap -

Adhesive Field
Class: Magic User
Level: 3
Range: Special
Duration: 5 melee rounds +1 melee round per level of caster/special
Area of Effect: 10 square feet +1 square foot per caster level
Components: VSM
Casting Time: 1 round
Saving Throw: none

The adhesive field spell creates an area where anything touching the floor or walls within the area of effect will tend to stick to the surface. This halves the movement rate of any being walking through the area.
Any objects that come in contact with the affected surfaces will stay there unless a person makes a successful bend bars/lift gates roll and the item makes a successful save versus crushing blow.
The caster is immune to the effects to his spell.
Material component: venus fly trap fluid

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000