Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Looking for an Elven equivalent of a word
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1301 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2021 :  20:25:14  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings, fellow fans.

I'm working up a Half-Elf Ranger; the father is a Sun Elf and the mother is a Human of Tethyrian lineage. One heirloom in her possession is a Short Sword +2 of Wounding.

quote:
Sword of Wounding: Any hit made with it cannot be healed by regeneration. In subsequent rounds, the opponent so wounded loses one additional hit point for each wound inflicted by the sword.

Thus, an opponent hit for four points of damage on the first melee round will automatically lose one additional hit point on the second and each successive round of combat. Loss of the extra point stops only when the creature so wounded bandages its wound or after 10 melee rounds (one turn).

Damage from a sword of wounding can be healed only by normal means (rest and time), never by potion, spell, or other magical means short of a wish. Note that successive wounds will damage in the same manner as the first.

Over the centuries, this weapon was incrementally enchanted with channeled bitterness from many elves, as a way of taking a people's suffering and turning it into a means of offense; the lingering damage that is dealt is the result of condensed acrimony rendered tangible with every strike. Here's the problem: I'd like the sword to have "acrimony" engraved along its blade in suitably flowing (i.e., expertly crafted calligraphy) and arcane Elven, but I can't locate the elven counterpart. All I could find is "anger", yet that isn't quite the same thing.

Do any of you happen to know the Realms' elven term for "acrimony"? If not, a suggestion on how to modify an existing word to suit this purpose is welcome. Hell, I'll even accept a combination of words that embody the spirit of the weapon (even if they aren't a precise translation).

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2021 :  21:36:08  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, according to the FR Wiki, hond ebrath means "true friend". That could be contracted to honebrath. Of course, you wouldn't use a weapon on a true friend so it should be changed to N'honebrath which is someone who is not a true friend. Eisliesen is "killing" so maybe Eisli N'honebrath? It is called that because so many people the elves have met are false or conniving and only pretending to be friends to get something from them. That would certainly make them bitter and would want something to remove these false friends.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1301 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2021 :  22:28:05  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Well, according to the FR Wiki, hond ebrath means "true friend". That could be contracted to honebrath. Of course, you wouldn't use a weapon on a true friend so it should be changed to N'honebrath which is someone who is not a true friend. Eisliesen is "killing" so maybe Eisli N'honebrath? It is called that because so many people the elves have met are false or conniving and only pretending to be friends to get something from them. That would certainly make them bitter and would want something to remove these false friends.

Cheers for the input. I see where you're coming from, but it should be noted that this weapon's special effect isn't limited to non-elves. After all, it is conceivable that an elf (or elves) were grossly mistreated by other elves.

--- --- ---

I was also thinking of...

"The buried anger."
"The slow anger."
"The sickening anger."

...and so on and so forth.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2021 :  23:14:07  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They could have been hurt by other elves so it wouldn't necessarily mean that elves wont' be affected but I see your point.

I picture elves being sort of poetic when speaking about something. What is acrimony? It is a tortured heart for a race of people who strive to be happy and hopeful at all times. Take that poetically, you have a lashed heart: Nyrtlass Maenen

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2021 :  09:51:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The great joy of Elvish is the they use "n (apostrophe)" as a prefix to indicate a negative that contradicts what follows. So the elvish word for peace is "adon" so 'not-peace' can be "n'adon", "evae" is love, so "malice/hate" can be "n'evae". The actual word for "hatred/absence of love" is "drag" so "hate sword" would be "dragkerym", while "hate blade" would be "dragnikerym". An alternative word for "love" (but more from a passion perspective) is "nor" and the "n(apostrophe)" when joining with another "n" word is rendered "ne" so "nenor" is also an possibility.

Just a few options for you.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 13 Dec 2021 09:52:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2021 :  16:50:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like dragnikerym, myself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2021 :  17:09:25  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there any good translators left on the web? There used to be several really good ones but these days they're all defunct. I believe one was called angelfire that had elven and drow tongues translated (FR versions, that is). I can find LotR versions still, though they don't seem to be as good as some that used to be around either. I also tend to dislike the names that come up at name-generator-dot-com

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1301 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2021 :  23:49:02  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

They could have been hurt by other elves so it wouldn't necessarily mean that elves wont' be affected but I see your point.

I picture elves being sort of poetic when speaking about something. What is acrimony? It is a tortured heart for a race of people who strive to be happy and hopeful at all times. Take that poetically, you have a lashed heart: Nyrtlass Maenen

This is both a literal and metaphorical interpretation of "You wound me deeply.". I like it! Question: what is the source of these words?

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The great joy of Elvish is the they use "n (apostrophe)" as a prefix to indicate a negative that contradicts what follows. So the elvish word for peace is "adon" so 'not-peace' can be "n'adon", "evae" is love, so "malice/hate" can be "n'evae". The actual word for "hatred/absence of love" is "drag" so "hate sword" would be "dragkerym", while "hate blade" would be "dragnikerym". An alternative word for "love" (but more from a passion perspective) is "nor" and the "n(apostrophe)" when joining with another "n" word is rendered "ne" so "nenor" is also an possibility.

Just a few options for you.

-- George Krashos

Another strong contender. Much appreciated, Mr. Krashos.

P.S. Isn't there a beneficent human fellow by the name of Adon? If so, that's some mighty coincidental naming.

quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Are there any good translators left on the web? There used to be several really good ones but these days they're all defunct. I believe one was called angelfire that had elven and drow tongues translated (FR versions, that is). I can find LotR versions still, though they don't seem to be as good as some that used to be around either. I also tend to dislike the names that come up at name-generator-dot-com

I ended up checking out the Elven vocabulary page on the main Candlekeep website.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000