Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What happened to Xxiphu?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2021 :  00:40:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
So for me, everything up through the end of 2E would be canon. After that, I pick and choose what I like. My own headcanon -- like my theory that Bane 2.0 is really Xvim -- goes into the mix, and what I call "semicanon" stuff like unofficial lore from Masters of Realmslore like Krash or Eric Boyd.

I've occasionally experienced that "semicanon" feel when doing work with Eric.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wendolyn
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2021 :  02:02:05  Show Profile Send Wendolyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
So for me, everything up through the end of 2E would be canon. After that, I pick and choose what I like. My own headcanon -- like my theory that Bane 2.0 is really Xvim -- goes into the mix, and what I call "semicanon" stuff like unofficial lore from Masters of Realmslore like Krash or Eric Boyd.

I've occasionally experienced that "semicanon" feel when doing work with Eric.

-- George Krashos

George I just want to say that the stuff you and Eric have put out recently is just so well done. Such respect for and artful weaving together of prior Realmslore, with good storytelling to boot. Superb work.

For me, and what the hell do I know, I think about canon as the parts that "we all agree on." It has a sort of community element. Of course everyone has their own version of the Realms, as we should, but part of what's so great about a website such as this is as a forum for us to come together and make decisions about "the way things are." Now I don't mean in it an oppressive way, like anyone needs to be forced to conform to anything, or in a utopian way, like we're all going to ever actually come to complete agreement and reach some promised land. I mean it in a more practical sense, like we're all colleagues in a shared project of collective worldbuilding, and whatever this core of this shared thing is, is what canonicity represents. And so excellent works, such as those put forth by Eric and George of late, works that win the hearts and minds of the community over time, become increasingly canonical, existing as a sort of semicanon.

However, I feel duty-bound to add, that there is a large corporation that also produces Realmslore, and tends to operates quite independently of the aforementioned community project, complicating matters somewhat...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000