Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lore You Should Know: Hazlan
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2021 :  21:44:41  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
https://youtu.be/5dXURXmArEg

So basically Hazlan is Ravenloft's Thay on steroids. I'm curious what would be scarier Hazlan or Thay. Hazlan sounds cool. I'm curious if there are any plot links to the Forgotten Realms.

The reason I put this on a Forgotten Realms forum, is that Hazlan feels like a Thayvan colony in Ravenloft with FR ethnocities, languages, magic, races, and the most ties to FR of any Ravenloft domain.

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2021 :  22:57:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Ravenloft" - the entire Demiplane of Dread, the setting - is not a place anyone would ever willingly "colonize".

It's a place of horror, fear, suffering. Shaped by mysterious dark powers who apparently feed on horror, fear, suffering. Nearly impossible to escape, unless perhaps these mysterious dark powers permit you to leave (or eject you).

Those who find themselves trapped in the demiplane - along with their surrounding region, their city, their neighbours - tend to largely remain unaware of their new place in the cosmos and tend to nervously carry on much as they did before. They won't change their culture, language, etc, except as needed to adapt to the demiplane's subtle and sinister machinations. Vampires and werewolves may prey upon the population, horrible creatures may lurk in the night, oppressive mists may utterly isolate the town, Vistani itinerants may come and go from strange faraway places - these may be things unknown in the Realms, but they're not really things which (in themselves) particularly suggest to the locals that they're trapped in a completely different world or plane.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2021 :  00:34:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

https://youtu.be/5dXURXmArEg

So basically Hazlan is Ravenloft's Thay on steroids. I'm curious what would be scarier Hazlan or Thay. Hazlan sounds cool. I'm curious if there are any plot links to the Forgotten Realms.

The reason I put this on a Forgotten Realms forum, is that Hazlan feels like a Thayvan colony in Ravenloft with FR ethnocities, languages, magic, races, and the most ties to FR of any Ravenloft domain.

Well, there's a major link in that Hazlan's dark lord, Hazlik, was a Red Wizard of Thay before the Mists grabbed him. There are a handful of named NPCs in Ravenloft who are from the Realms -- including Gondegal the Lost King.

Ravenloft is as Ayrik described it. If I had a choice between dropping my character butt-naked and unarmed in the middle of Thay, or fully armed and armored anywhere in Ravenloft, I'd choose the former without hesitation -- the odds of surviving and escaping would be orders of magnitude higher.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Apr 2021 00:36:46
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000