Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Demonyms and Adjectivals
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2021 :  02:59:55  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking for demonyms and the adjectival forms for the Sword Coast, the Sword Coast North, and the Western Heartlands. I see they are separated into political areas in the 3E Political Region Map. I'm guessing like in our world someone or thing could have "layers", for example American and Californian.

I know within these regions there are names for say someone from Baldur's Gate, Baldurian. I vaguely remember there is a least one case in the Realms that the people and things from a region have different names.

At the end of the day I'm looking for catch all terms that NPCs might use to refer to a larger swath of people or goods from those regions.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2021 :  04:30:10  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2e product Forgotten Realms Adventures has some of what you're looking for, though only a small portion of it is the Sword Coast.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2021 :  07:25:54  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you mean those three regions as large swathes, I don't know of any. You could perhaps ask Ed Greenwood.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2021 :  08:00:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The North and The Savage Lands seemed to get conflated a lot in 2E. I still don't understand whether they're overlapping parts of each other or not, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2021 :  16:06:32  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See the scroll Candlekeep Forum - Proper Adjectives of the Realms.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2021 :  19:48:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

See the scroll Candlekeep Forum - Proper Adjectives of the Realms.

I was about to go looking for that one, myself, in response to this discussion.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2021 :  00:37:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The people of Impiltur are called Impilturians (although they have regional monikers that are used internally). Goods and other inanimate objects hailing from that kingdom are described as Impilturan.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000