Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Last Magister?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2020 :  03:00:05  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This quote is from the Ed on Twitter scroll. The thing is, I could absolutely SWEAR there is a story where El worked with the last Magister (the one from Innarlith) where she assisted him and died in the process. I THINK she helped him take out a clone of Manshoon. Am I mis-remembering something or was there another Magister after the one I'm thinking of?

quote:
On the office of Magister after the Spellplague:

@TheArtistArcane, ~May 25: Whatever happened with the Magister of Mystra? That was probably one of my favorite pieces of lore from back in the day and seem to never hear anymore about the office. And would it be possible for a newcomer to claim that title in lore?

@TheEdVerse: The Magister went insane and then her head literally exploded when the Weave ‘went wild’ at Mystra’s death/the onset of the Spellplague. So there was no Magister for some time. Then there was a flurry of ambitious young spellcasters challenging for the office, and either gaining it only to soon be themselves challenged, or failing and dying in the duel.

The office is claimed by challenging and spell-defeating the current Magister, so that’s how a newcomer could become Magister. On rare occasions, a Magister resigns (usually to accept death or to enter Mystra’s service as a Weaveghost, leaving their body behind) or perishes by misadventure, and a likely successor may be approached by a manifestation of Mystra or Azuth, or a Weaveghost servitor of Mystra, to take the post. If they accept, they gain the insights and abilities of the office instantly (described by some as “the ultimate rapture”).

There have even been Magisters who have peacefully surrendered to a challenger, handing over the office without strife.

Elminster hasn’t revealed to me who is Magister at this moment, and neither has any other Chosen or servant of Mystra.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2020 :  03:03:40  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I should mention her name: Talatha Vaerovree who replaced Noumea Drathchuld in 1370 DR.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2020 :  03:37:11  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't that story in Ed's short in Realms of the Dead?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2020 :  16:57:43  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked Noumea's story. I wonder if she is still around, teaching The Art to those with the gift.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2020 :  19:08:26  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Wasn't that story in Ed's short in Realms of the Dead?

Mentioned... kinda... her and El dressed up like Liches to fool Vampshoon.

Important story though - its where we learned that there were still many stasis clones out there that had not activated in the "Clone Wars"... Larloch was afraid of the Blue Fire, which must mean that the Blue Fire items that he made and the Blue Fire of Spellplague are not really related, except as plot devices to carry the Realms into the future.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2020 :  04:46:46  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah that's the one. It's called 'The Many Murders of Manshoon' but did she not die at the end of it?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000