Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Primal Spirits/Archfey of the Unappr. East
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2020 :  12:56:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've started reading "the Chosen of Nendawen" trilogy from the 4e era, and I like some of its concepts, and wanted to see if together we might be able to gather a listing of "primal spirits"/"archfey" specific to the Unapproachable East/Bloodstone Lands/Hordelands/Sossal area (all of which are areas that I would say have ties to the spirit world).

So far the things that come to mind are

Nendawen the hunter - offhand after reading most of the first book, this guy feels like Herne the Hunter under another name (he's antlered for instance). He is a patron of some sort of the Vil Adanrath (the Lythari in the Hordelands area)

Kunin Gatar - portrayed as an ice queen in the feywild and served by eladrin (elves in 4e... though I'd rather it be the eladrin of 5e) and uldra (which seem to be small blue ice fey from Frostburn). These uldra ride tundra tigers, and the elves ride "swiftstags". Essentially, this person screams "Auril" to me, BUT she's portrayed more as a being with a domain in the feywild…. so don't give her worshippers, etc... Also, her "husband"... would have to hunt down the name... was killed by a mortal Lythari and she's pissed. Her palace is "Ellestharn" NOTES: Possibly tying Kinun Gatar to the Durthans would make sense, and making her some kind of powerful Bheur Hag.

The Stag King - From a book on Rashemen. He's a "dark fey" lord. He's a stag headed god who falls in love with some elven women. He has stag headed "children". He's in the Ashenwood in Rashemen and served by Zyl, a fire spirit. He's "killed" by Durthan Vampires in the book, the Masked Witches, though as with anything... does that mean true dead. Given his appearance, there may be a link between him and Nendawen (some person, brothers, same "race" of origin)… or possibly the next entry. He may also have ties to the creation of Shatjan.

Jagun Ghen - Burning Hunger. I'm sure more will be developed for this guy in the later books, but so far I see him as some kind of power (demon? Dark fey? Primal Spirit? Primordial?)

Obviously I could trot out the names of the "gods" of the Yuir as well, but not doing that right now (if someone else wants to note them, please do so).

Anyway, are there any more of these fey/primal spirits that show up in the canon lore? Just trying to make up something like a list of names.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2020 :  15:34:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally have a theory that the Vil Adanrath are no longer the same as regular lythari. I only read the one novel, and it's been a while, but as I recall, other than the wolf-form, they didn't seem to have anything at all in common with other lythari.

My personal theory is that for some reason, this group of lythari swore their allegiance to that local spirit whose name I can't recall, and that local spirit was able to change them to be something more of what that spirit needed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2020 :  16:26:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I personally have a theory that the Vil Adanrath are no longer the same as regular lythari. I only read the one novel, and it's been a while, but as I recall, other than the wolf-form, they didn't seem to have anything at all in common with other lythari.

My personal theory is that for some reason, this group of lythari swore their allegiance to that local spirit whose name I can't recall, and that local spirit was able to change them to be something more of what that spirit needed.

I would agree. The Vil Adanrath are more like a "tribe" of specific Lythari, and their origins may even differ from other Lythari. They don't seem to have anything in common with the ones that Elaine came up with (that being said, Elaine didn't delve their origins or culture much either).

Ultimately, I am just wanting to get some idea for CANON primal spirits/archfey that may be active in the realms, etc... We have similar in Kara-Tur and Anchorome and even possibly down in Zakhara (some of the "dead gods" may be/been primal spirits, etc..). It ultimately could prove useful elsewhere or not, but it would be a "nice to have" and I know authors were just kind of creating them on the wing. Thus, while we have Auril as the goddess of winter, we also have her "archfey" name of Aurilandur … and now we have some kind of archfey named Kunin Gatar and then over in Anchorome I think there is a great spirit of winter named Shakak, etc...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000