Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Storage of Forgotten Realms knowledge
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2020 :  07:54:41  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just wondering how other people store and keep the various bits of FR lore they come across?

I am using OneNote 2016 with a dedicated notebook. Sections relevant as required and creating pages and subpages as need be.

When time permits I will type in keywords that I come across into the page associated with that topic, but more importantly the source the keyword/topic comes from.

This process will allow me to type in a word and use OneNote's awesome Search functionality to find all instances of that search term.

What about you?

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2020 :  13:06:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know where most things can be located and then search the relevant product PDF. I have other lore separated into different MS Word Files broken down by author and subject.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2020 :  13:26:51  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookshelf, flash drive or Candlekeep.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2020 :  21:43:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got all the books, and I'm pretty good about remembering what book something is in -- or, at the least, remembering that X lore was in the same book as Y lore, and going from there.

I've also got a buttload of official FR pdfs I've gotten from Paizo (back when they sold them) or DriveThruRPG.

Lastly, there's all the lore I've collected from the web, whether from here, from Twitter, from the WotC page (back when they actually gave us free lore), and from other random sources. That's collected on my NAS, as pdf files, Word docs, or text files (depending on the source; pdfs when available, Word docs for web articles, text files for everything else.)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2020 :  09:35:50  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Google drive. Lots of Google docs which may link to the Paizo-bought PDFs, other docs (e.g., SoSaithEd PDFs) or websites.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2020 :  12:03:32  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have everything published in PDF.

Articles on sites like this are generally saved in .txt format.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2020 :  17:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a complete set of PDFs, as many physical resources as I can afford, and I've been trying to get digital copies of the novels to search through as well.

Articles get saved separately because WotC is taking them down slowly, and it's getting harder to find them.

My own notes go in projects for a large-project writing program called Scrivener.

On a related note, check your physical books! Older FR stuff is now old enough that the materials may be decaying: I had to pull all the staples from my Elminster's Ecologies booklets yesterday (they had begun to rust, which stains the pages), and I'll replace them with archival-quality fasteners when the current real-world situation allows.
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2020 :  07:04:23  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

On a related note, check your physical books! Older FR stuff is now old enough that the materials may be decaying: I had to pull all the staples from my Elminster's Ecologies booklets yesterday (they had begun to rust, which stains the pages), and I'll replace them with archival-quality fasteners when the current real-world situation allows.

I went through some of my physical books recently, and while a few showed stains on page ends, I had no rusty staples *shudder*.

Flipping through Faiths and Avatars showed me how good my eyesight was during my mid-20s and TSR must really have been trying to keep the costs down by putting so much text on a page.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2020 :  13:38:21  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maransreth

quote:

I went through some of my physical books recently, and while a few showed stains on page ends, I had no rusty staples *shudder*.

Flipping through Faiths and Avatars showed me how good my eyesight was during my mid-20s and TSR must really have been trying to keep the costs down by putting so much text on a page.

Join the eyesight club. I purchased old 2e materials to restock the old material I donated back in 2001. You described my situation to a "T" as well.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2020 :  16:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I suspect it may be an issue limited to solely that product and others like it, very small booklets (32 pages or 4 signatures) that were stapled because binding would be counterproductive. My other stapled FR products didn't look to have the same issues; the Ecologies may have simply used a lesser grade of staple.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2020 :  22:56:59  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
(...)

Have you seen the Raven's Bluff 2e book? Text is insanely small!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 05 May 2020 22:57:46
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: