Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 29 Tarsakh - 29 April - the day the magic died
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2020 :  10:31:37  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So according to the Forgotten Realms wiki today/yesterday in 1385 Mystra was killed by Cyric and assisted by Shar, starting the Spellplague.

A day to commemorate, hate, whatever you think. How should we commemorate this day?

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2020 :  13:02:20  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slamming some blue Gatorade and daydreaming fondly about my favorite edition of the Realms, clearly.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2020 :  15:10:41  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A double Cinnamon whiskey on the rocks while playing Keep on the Shadowfell using the Forgotten Realms conversions. Maybe a quick level-0 session to see how the PCs get started (using the level 0 rules for 4th edition of course).
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2020 :  17:13:06  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maransreth

So according to the Forgotten Realms wiki today/yesterday in 1385 Mystra was killed by Cyric and assisted by Shar, starting the Spellplague.

A day to commemorate, hate, whatever you think. How should we commemorate this day?

That is just crazy talk. No one here in 1371 could imagine such a thing happening. That is likely to happen as the floating cities of Netheril coming back.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2020 :  21:56:22  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

That is just crazy talk. No one here in 1371 could imagine such a thing happening. That is likely to happen as the floating cities of Netheril coming back.

Yes definitely depends upon the edition that you play and your current year.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2020 :  22:16:56  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By remarking how Cyric actually failed and Mystra survived, like the Weave, if stranded/weakened. Meanwhile, Shar lost the Shadow Weave, and Cyric ended up losing the portfolios of illusion and intrigue post-Sundering, retaining only madness, lies and strife.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2020 :  23:12:06  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bye, bye magic Weave in the sky
Snuck in Cyric through the World Tree and the Lady would cry
All them magical toys were turning crispy and fry
Singin' this'll be the day magic die
This'll be the day magic die

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 30 Apr 2020 23:12:24
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2020 :  23:23:05  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be fair, all magic weapons retained their properties and charges even after the Spellplague. You can't find too many in the year 1479 DR. because the charges were mostly used because it was far more reliable than Spellcasting during the wailing years
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2020 :  23:29:21  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

We need another verse dedicated to your most esteemed namesake during The Year of the Sundered Webs.
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
748 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  00:54:57  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  02:46:22  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read little to none about the Spellplague. How did the other types of magic do (blood magic, rune magic, etc.)? My understanding is that they operate outside of the Weave so I would guess they were unaffected?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  03:09:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bravo, sir! I wanted to come up with something in that vein, myself, but I had nothing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  04:33:28  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Bravo, sir! I wanted to come up with something in that vein, myself, but I had nothing.

Agree! I was thinking of the song when I came up with the title, but didn't think of attempting a parody.
Of course nothing beats Weird Al's The Saga Begins parody
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  13:01:10  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have read little to none about the Spellplague. How did the other types of magic do (blood magic, rune magic, etc.)? My understanding is that they operate outside of the Weave so I would guess they were unaffected?

I've never heard of anyone using blood magic in the Realms, but considering one of the classes in 4e is called a Runepriest, I don't think it's wrong to assume that rune Magic survived and is doing fine post Spellplague/Sundering. In 5e there's also a Rune Warrior Archetype for the Fighter class.

Edited by - Diffan on 01 May 2020 13:01:28
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  14:23:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know how it compares to WotC material, but Kobold Press has played with the Rune Magic concept, as well. I know they did it for Pathfinder, and I believe it's included in their new 5E stuff. It should be in the 5E version of Deep Magic when it is released, as well.

Kobold Press uses the Midgard setting, so it's based more on Northern and Eastern Europe than the usual pseudo-Western Europe fantasy. Rune magic is based on the 24 runes from Norse mythology.

Some info from page 280 of the original Deep Magic:

quote:
Mastery of a rune requires more than just knowing how to draw it. The rune master must understand the wider meaning of the rune and how its power is woven into the world. This study and wisdom requires the Rune Mastery feat (see page 277), and a character with the Runic Spellcasting feat adds these spells to their spell list.

quote:
A mastered rune is like a clerical domain, but it is much more specific and its powers can be harnessed by any class. There are 24 commonly known runes. Each has a different meaning and power.

quote:
Invoking one of a rune’s powers is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity from threatening enemies. Treat this as a supernatural ability, except that the rune master must either create a physical representation of the rune (in paint, blood, written in the dirt or snow, etc.) or trace the path of an existing carving of the rune that was created to an exacting standard.

There are some associated feats; the Rune Mastery feat lets you know two runes and get their mastery bonus. There are other feats for getting more of the powers or for using the runes for crafting magical items.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  14:28:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

I've never heard of anyone using blood magic in the Realms, but considering one of the classes in 4e is called a Runepriest, I don't think it's wrong to assume that rune Magic survived and is doing fine post Spellplague/Sundering. In 5e there's also a Rune Warrior Archetype for the Fighter class.

There was a whole novel called Bloodwalk that happened in the Chondath area roughly I believe. It involved a follower of Hoar as well (maybe a paladin or some sort) if I remember correctly. That being said, I wouldn't be convinced that it didn't use the weave.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1496088.Bloodwalk

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  15:44:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maransreth

By raising a glass and commemorating just how amazingly well that lie was propogated by Leira and Mask on Cyric to get him to enter dweomerheart (Leira hiding in Cyric's mind as a result of BEING the Cyrinishad).

By raising a glass and commemorating the foresight of Savras that the worlds would soon collide and dweomerheart would become detached from Toril and attach itself to Abeir. For commending Savras' actions to warn Helm how me must aid Mystra the first in faking her death even from her own chosen, so that a sacrificial lamb may be put in place.

For commending Leira for aiding Mystra in so faking her death by providing Ariel(Midnight) as a child born of magic (some say Shadow weave magic) to be elevated as a goddess if only for a few short decades.

For commending Mask for providing Cyric, as a child born of shadowstuff and implanted memories, to be elevated as a god in perhaps on of the greatest intrigues the world has known, and then working to have himself be found in the form of Godsbane by this shadowchild, used to "slay" (really absorb) Leira

For commending Velsharoon on his intelligence gathering for Mystra upon Shar as a double agent about the whereabouts of the Karsestone, and how she would use it to gain mastery of both the weave and shadow weave upon the actions of Cyric in Dweomerheart. For commending Velsharoon's actions, working upon the Karsestone that was itself a lich's phylactery, to pull forth Karsus himself from the Karsestone at the moment that Shar tried to seize the weave. Though this action did indeed split Velsharoon back into Mellifleur and Velsharoon, and 'twas Mellifleur that remained in Toril as he had been prior to the time of troubles. For commending the Simbul in destroying the intelligence of Mellifleur but preserving the body of Velsharoon so that the goddess of magic's servant would have a anchor remaining on Toril.

For commending the lie of Leira, spun by her using the powers of Cyric without even his knowledge, so masterfully spun that Helm and Tyr would actually get in a fight with each other over the love of Siamorphe. Furthermore, for hiding away both gods that they may journey to Abeir to protect those mortals who would find themselves in an unjust and unprotected realm.... all because some say that Ao willed it and cared not for the stresses this would place upon the gods.

For commending Deneir, in the moments that Midnight (Ariel) died for triggering several waiting glyphs on the shell of the crystal sphere, glyphs whose radiant power merged the weave and shadow weave again, as Deneir himself moved his divine domain to dweomerheart and was transferred to Abeir.

For commending Leira, in the form of Phalse, for creating the individual that would become Midnight, and then hiding this secret from the bard, Finder, the god Moander, and all the other participants.

For commending Talos for raising up Velsharoon and Malyk, even if he was cajoled into doing so by a warning from Savras that Shar would steal his power otherwise.

For commending Azuth and Velsharoon, for working together to separate Azuth into a divine shell of raw power and putting his essence into the phylactery of his staff (which had once held Savras). Then placing a powerful enchantment upon the staff that would force any divine being to give it away rather than try to absorb it. This allowed him to anchor a small portion of his intellect and power within Asmodeus, to help safely return Dweomerheart to its moorings and links for Toril.

Some say all of this was secretly ordered by Ao to provide him weave anchors on Abeir, such that he might be able to gain power in a world which some say is more in the grasp of Io than Ao.

Shall we continue?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  16:24:53  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't know how it compares to WotC material, but Kobold Press has played with the Rune Magic concept, as well. I know they did it for Pathfinder, and I believe it's included in their new 5E stuff. It should be in the 5E version of Deep Magic when it is released, as well.

Kobold Press uses the Midgard setting, so it's based more on Northern and Eastern Europe than the usual pseudo-Western Europe fantasy. Rune magic is based on the 24 runes from Norse mythology.

Some info from page 280 of the original Deep Magic:

quote:
Mastery of a rune requires more than just knowing how to draw it. The rune master must understand the wider meaning of the rune and how its power is woven into the world. This study and wisdom requires the Rune Mastery feat (see page 277), and a character with the Runic Spellcasting feat adds these spells to their spell list.

quote:
A mastered rune is like a clerical domain, but it is much more specific and its powers can be harnessed by any class. There are 24 commonly known runes. Each has a different meaning and power.

quote:
Invoking one of a rune’s powers is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity from threatening enemies. Treat this as a supernatural ability, except that the rune master must either create a physical representation of the rune (in paint, blood, written in the dirt or snow, etc.) or trace the path of an existing carving of the rune that was created to an exacting standard.

There are some associated feats; the Rune Mastery feat lets you know two runes and get their mastery bonus. There are other feats for getting more of the powers or for using the runes for crafting magical items.

I had read somewhere about Ed saying that there was more than just the Weave in use to access magic in the Realms and it was the first mention I had ever seen for blood magic. Rune magic was introduced in the 2e book Giantcraft (pg 58). If those do operate outside of the Weave, then I would expect that the Spellplague had little effect on them.

Edit: Found where I read it (about 1/3rd of the way down):
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22659&whichpage=21&SearchTerms=blood%20magic

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 01 May 2020 17:38:37
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  20:01:00  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess it depends. In universe, many people died that day, so I guess it would be a solemn day in some countries, to remember the dead ones and stuff (specifically true with long-lived people, such as elves and mages). In other countries, it would be a festive day. Such in Tymanther, as they were free of their draconic oppressors that day.

Personally, I will always celebrate it as the day the tyranny over the magic ended, at least for a time.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000