Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mugunthanx
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2020 :  16:56:48  Show Profile Send mugunthanx a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
hello all, what is the state of the Forgotten realms. Are there there no new books beyond the Drizzt books coming out? Are they planning on finishing story lines?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2020 :  19:14:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the state of the Realms? Deliberately vague and barely supported. They're only doing adventure books, and dribbling in bits of lore here and there -- some of which deviates wildly from prior canon. They've mostly walked back the changes they made for 4E, while leaving a lot of stuff vague enough that we don't know if something is X or Y. It's Schrodinger's Realms, now...

New books beyond the Drizzt stuff? Probably not. WotC, and TSR before them, has always had an uneasy relationship with novels. Right now, they're not doing any novels, though they did license out that trilogy. Lurue only knows if they'll do that again, or with any other characters. Considering that they only seem interested in adventures, I'm not holding my breath.

As for finishing story lines, they've been unceremoniously dropping and ignoring ongoing story lines since 3E came out. I don't expect that to change, either.

Short version: until WotC gets some freedom from Hasbro, or the unlikely event Hasbro sells it off, we're not going to be getting much of anything worthwhile, any time in the foreseeable future.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2020 :  19:40:08  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My hopes rest with Baldur's Gate 3 and the upcoming D&D movie, both of which could reignite interest in the lore of the Realms if they do well.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2020 :  22:04:16  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

My hopes rest with Baldur's Gate 3 and the upcoming D&D movie, both of which could reignite interest in the lore of the Realms if they do well.

-But will it result in "actual" lore, as opposed to the adventure-centric stuff that exists now. That is the question.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

mugunthanx
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  21:18:51  Show Profile Send mugunthanx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000