Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Drizzt time of troubles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erevan Illesere
Acolyte

Italy
38 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2020 :  17:20:24  Show Profile Send Erevan Illesere a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello there! I'm new to this forum and I wanted to start by asking a question: does anyone know what Drizzt was up to during the time of troubles?
I checked the wiki and it says that he lived through 1358 so he should have been there when gods suddenly started walking through the realms.

I'm asking because I'm running the avatar trilogy for my dnd group and I was curious about his reaction to those events.

Jack of blades

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2020 :  19:15:41  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall Drizzt being impacted by those events in the books.
Go to Top of Page

lookatroopa
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2020 :  19:56:09  Show Profile Send lookatroopa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read the series, but judging by the summaries, the Time of Troubles prominently comes up in Siege of Darkness.
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2020 :  00:41:38  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Siege of Darkness was set during the ToT.
Go to Top of Page

Erevan Illesere
Acolyte

Italy
38 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2020 :  13:36:06  Show Profile Send Erevan Illesere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Yeah I didn't find any trace of that period impacting him either, which is weird if you think about it. Gods suddenly walking on the material plane everywhere and one of the greatest heroes in the realms isnt even bothered by it?? The closest thing I could find is something about lolth taking her avatar form and visiting one of the drow houses.

Jack of blades
Go to Top of Page

Erevan Illesere
Acolyte

Italy
38 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2020 :  13:40:45  Show Profile Send Erevan Illesere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lookatroopa

I haven't read the series, but judging by the summaries, the Time of Troubles prominently comes up in Siege of Darkness.

Huh, never read it either. Still thanks for bringing that up, I'll try searching there to see if I find anything.

Jack of blades
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2020 :  14:19:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erevan Illesere

quote:

Yeah I didn't find any trace of that period impacting him either, which is weird if you think about it. Gods suddenly walking on the material plane everywhere and one of the greatest heroes in the realms isnt even bothered by it?? The closest thing I could find is something about lolth taking her avatar form and visiting one of the drow houses.

It's not really that weird. There's a hundred, maybe two hundred deities across every single pantheon we know about -- across an area rivaling Europe, Asia, and Africa in size.

There are orders of magnitude more people in the Realms than there are deities. Heck, even high-level characters still outnumber the gods.

I'd honestly find it weird for any deity to have dropped in on someone other than a favored priest, unless showing up elsewhere -- the way Shar did in Waterdeep -- furthered their aims in some manner.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2020 :  20:07:29  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-He venerates Mielikki, but it's not like he's that important to her in the grand scheme, so there's no reason to think she would've sought out him or anything. Lolth, likewise, he fights her but he's not alone in that; plenty of others fight her too, so similarly, she had bigger fish to fry.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2020 :  13:56:37  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Siege of Darkness is set on the Time of Troubles, and Lolth manifests herself in Menzoberranzan and plots with Matron Baene to conquest Mithral Hall.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2020 :  16:39:51  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Siege of Darkness is very ToT and Drizzt with the war and fall of House Oblodra. I kind of think it was neat how the houses couldn't cast priest spells so the Psionic house took over, until Lloth showed up in person and the spells came back and the house was obliterated (except Kimmuriel of course!).

Drizzt was part of the war but he didn't interact directly with any avatars.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2020 :  21:44:43  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Siege of Darkness is set on the Time of Troubles, and Lolth manifests herself in Menzoberranzan and plots with Matron Baene to conquest Mithral Hall.

-I have all my books boxed up and haven't read that particular one in 20 years give-or-take. Man, I forgot how bad some of the covers from that particular era were.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 27 Apr 2020 21:48:06
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2020 :  02:04:19  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Erevan Ilesere. Peculiar name btw. Drizzt and his crew were dealing with Siege of Darkness during the TOT.
Go to Top of Page

Erevan Illesere
Acolyte

Italy
38 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2020 :  09:19:58  Show Profile Send Erevan Illesere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-He venerates Mielikki, but it's not like he's that important to her in the grand scheme, so there's no reason to think she would've sought out him or anything. Lolth, likewise, he fights her but he's not alone in that; plenty of others fight her too, so similarly, she had bigger fish to fry.

You know now that you mention it does make sense what you are saying.
I also think I remember some drow ,in the book The Orc King, saying that Drizzt has actually lolth's blessing and that's why he keeps surviving.

Jack of blades
Go to Top of Page

Erevan Illesere
Acolyte

Italy
38 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2020 :  10:03:38  Show Profile Send Erevan Illesere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Hello Erevan Ilesere. Peculiar name btw. Drizzt and his crew were dealing with Siege of Darkness during the TOT.

Thanks for noticing
It's in honor of the trickster elven god. In the campaign i'm running for my players he became a villain and my players love to hate him

Jack of blades
Go to Top of Page

Erevan Illesere
Acolyte

Italy
38 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2020 :  11:13:09  Show Profile Send Erevan Illesere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

It's not really that weird. There's a hundred, maybe two hundred deities across every single pantheon we know about -- across an area rivaling Europe, Asia, and Africa in size.

There are orders of magnitude more people in the Realms than there are deities. Heck, even high-level characters still outnumber the gods.

I'd honestly find it weird for any deity to have dropped in on someone other than a favored priest, unless showing up elsewhere -- the way Shar did in Waterdeep -- furthered their aims in some manner.

Yeah but it isnt only about gods walking around...
Magic stops working and clerics lose the ability to cast spells beyond 3rd lvl. And thats without mentioning forests suddenly disappearing, earthquakes and blood literally raining from the sky (the module based on the avatar trilogy mentions these random occurances)

Jack of blades
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2020 :  12:24:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Magic stops working and clerics lose the ability to cast spells beyond 3rd lvl. And thats without mentioning forests suddenly disappearing, earthquakes and blood literally raining from the sky (the module based on the avatar trilogy mentions these random occurances)

Drizzt doesn't hang with many spellcasters, and random occurrences don't happen everywhere. In fact, aside from the Avatar novels, those random occurrences are barely mentioned anywhere else.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Apr 2020 12:25:09
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2020 :  17:48:36  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Drizzt doesn't hang with many spellcasters, and random occurrences don't happen everywhere. In fact, aside from the Avatar novels, those random occurrences are barely mentioned anywhere else.

I wager the Harpells of Longsaddle did not encourage Drizzt to hang around spellcasters, to say the least.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  22:24:45  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Thanks for noticing
It's in honor of the trickster elven god. In the campaign i'm running for my players he became a villain and my players love to hate him

Actually, my specialty is Erevan Ilesere. Ask anyone on the boards... I'm the elven gods biggest fanboy. I think that Erevan Ilesere and his clergy, plus followers make great villains. Especially if the party in question is Lawful.

The worship of The elven god of Tricksters is based on deceiving and dismantling all things lawful on a daily basis. Just for sheer gigles, you may pass a game of dice in the back alley of Silverymoon and cast a spell that coaxes the dice to roll something it wasn't supposed to as fate would have it. lol.

Or on a more powerful note... You can change the roll of another PC, NPC during combat. And that's just simple, minor abilities and spells of a cleric of Erevan Ilesere.

Back to subject... Drizzt in TOT was mid-level indeed. He was like level 17 or something. The TOT changed 2ED to 3ED system. I think Drizzt was a level 18 character in 3.5

So after almost 300 years since his birth, Drizzt is now on 300 years old or something? Please give me a correct age if you can find it.

I've read the books all the way up to The Hero. Just finished the book 1 week ago. It's obvious that Drizzt accepts schooling from Grandmaster Kane. Artemis Entreri is just as deadly as if he were at his peak at 40 years old again, due to his Shade incorporation with his Vampiric dagger. The Assassin remaining Drizzts equal and un-looked for best friend will lead to something that focuses on Entreri hopefully.

The final fight between Drizzt and Entreri in HERO was beyond epic to me personally. Entreri was fighting Drizzt solely to bring him back to himself. Something a friend would do indeed. It worked and Drizzt was saved. Now in training with Grandmaster Kane. Are we now going to add Monk levels to Drizzt's stat list??
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  23:00:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt is maybe 200, as of the 1490s. His original age was retconned with the Dark Elf trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2020 :  01:20:42  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Drizzt is maybe 200, as of the 1490s. His original age was retconned with the Dark Elf trilogy.

Interesting. So what age would Artemis Entreri be? I believe he had that weird shade thing where he was half shade? I'm still confused by this, but enjoy it also. The Assassin is now a pale grey shade of his former self. And hasn't aged as would be expected for a human. In that last fight in HERO, I personally thought Entreri got the better of Drizzt in melee combat. I give true Dapp to whomever comes up with a realistic Game terms version of Entreri.

Do you make him a Shade? no. Half-Shade? What? So what do you make him as a beloved anti-hero in the setting? By 5 ED Entreri must be Epic by 3.5 standards, right? He shouldn't be alive.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2020 :  03:39:49  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pathfinder?

Two weapon fighter/rogue/slayer.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2020 :  03:53:00  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Pathfinder?

Two weapon fighter/rogue/slayer.

Forgotten Realms?

I would give him Rogue 2/ Fighter 10/ Assassin 3/ Tempest 5.

By 5ED timeline he must be far beyond that during the current timeline. Maybe a CR 25 in 5ED with 3.5 stats.

Edited by - Copper Elven Vampire on 02 May 2020 03:58:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000