Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 You wake up...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2020 :  22:56:10  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
You wake up in a sweet-smelling dungeon cell. As you focus and come to, you notice several other humanoids in the cell with you of various races. A sickly-sweet scent flows into your cell as a pixie throws you a key to the cell door, laughs and vanishes in a soft pop.

You notice a Elder Redcap outside the cell and can hear a spell-battle down the chamber. You have no idea where you are, and can barely remember who you are, as you look at the glowing key in your hand.

What race/ class combo do you choose to be?

Choices:

Moon elf Beguiler
Fey''ri Warlock
Copper elf Cleric of Erevan Ilesere
Sun elf Vampire Lord Bard
Wild elf Werewolf Ranger
Star elf Bladesinger
Drow elf Sacred Fist of Vhaeraun
Quickling Assassin
Gnome Hoodwinker
Halfling Whisperknife
Gold Dwarf Fighter
Air Genasi Elemental Savant

(Anonymous Vote)

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  00:33:43  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Went with Elven Vampire cause you gotta respect my man Jander Sunstar.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  01:18:04  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the Wild Elf Werewolf Ranger meant to be Lythari or is he actually a Wild Elf who can turn into a man who turns into a wolf?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas

Edited by - Icelander on 20 Apr 2020 02:27:37
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  01:58:51  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Even a man who eats his meat
and says his prayers by night
may become a treehugger when the toadstools sprout
and the autumn moon is bright."
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  02:34:34  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Took the Bladesinger, cuz that seems to be my jam
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  07:48:18  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A vampire can simply assume gaseous form and slip through through the edges of the door, key or no key. Are there doomguides or morninglords waiting on the other side? Or is that part of the "Do you feel lucky?" premise?
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  08:31:00  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What’s a whisperknife?

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  09:15:40  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Simple without knowing more - dwarf fighter
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  11:52:11  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

What’s a whisperknife?

a halfling PrC

http://dnd.arkalseif.info/classes/whisperknife/index.html

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  13:05:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fey'ri Warlock

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  13:16:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See, now THIS is good storytelling. And, since I love the star elves, I took the Bladesinger.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  22:26:02  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

Dapp! Wasn't he the elf that was somehow thrown into Ravenloft? Didn't he bring a legendary weapon with him? Or am I thinking something else?Great choice.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  22:28:14  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

Is the Wild Elf Werewolf Ranger meant to be Lythari or is he actually a Wild Elf who can turn into a man who turns into a wolf?

Not a Lythari... I would have implied that. Just a wild elf, cursed (or blessed) with Lycanthropy, who is a werewolf ranger.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  22:32:29  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

"Even a man who eats his meat
and says his prayers by night
may become a treehugger when the toadstools sprout
and the autumn moon is bright."

"Even a elf that hates dogs
and says his thanks towards cats
May become a werewolf when the alpo is plenty
and the winter moon shows a trash can."
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  22:34:31  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Took the Bladesinger, cuz that seems to be my jam

I commend you for taking a Star Elf. Bladesinger is your jam.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  22:36:40  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

A vampire can simply assume gaseous form and slip through through the edges of the door, key or no key. Are there doomguides or morninglords waiting on the other side? Or is that part of the "Do you feel lucky?" premise?

Just a single Elder Redcap and a spell-battle down the hall.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2020 :  22:40:18  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

What’s a whisperknife?

A Halfling Rogue type character that embodies several different disciplines of fighting. Mostly dagger tossing with SLA's and assassin flourishes.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  00:50:27  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

quote:

Dapp! Wasn't he the elf that was somehow thrown into Ravenloft? Didn't he bring a legendary weapon with him? Or am I thinking something else?Great choice.

Jandar was an elf turned to Vampirism in Merrydale, what later became known as Daggerdale after the vampire infestation. He later destroyed his vampire master and then made his way to Waterdeep. It was here that he found a peculiar woman in an insane asylum he had been using to feed from. He was pulled into the Mists and transposed into Ravenloft.

Christie Golden had quite a few really good Short Stories about him in the various Anthologies of the Realms - ususally with him spurning his Vampiric heritage and doing the right thing despite the costs.

What happens to Jandar is written below so spoilers if you plan on playing through the Decent into Avernus adventure.

Unfortunately he finally meets his demise, we now learn, in the events of the the Decent into Avernus 5E Adventure. You come across a crucified Jandar as he is impaled on this iron-tree thing. He says he's sorry for abandoning his company of Hell Riders and that's why he was there. The adventure says that no matter what you do, he dissipates into nothing and is lost. To me, I hate this. I really do because he was a really cool character that deserved better. So if/when I run this adventure, I'll most likely give the PCs the option to "heal" him by freely giving up points from the Hit Die to let him drink from. This restores him, albeit slowly, to his old self and he's allowed to either join with them (and all the issues that come with having a Vampire companion) or he can be dismissed and he returns to Faerûn on his own.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  02:50:42  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

quote:

Jandar was an elf turned to Vampirism in Merrydale, what later became known as Daggerdale after the vampire infestation. He later destroyed his vampire master and then made his way to Waterdeep. It was here that he found a peculiar woman in an insane asylum he had been using to feed from. He was pulled into the Mists and transposed into Ravenloft.

Christie Golden had quite a few really good Short Stories about him in the various Anthologies of the Realms - ususally with him spurning his Vampiric heritage and doing the right thing despite the costs.

What happens to Jandar is written below so spoilers if you plan on playing through the Decent into Avernus adventure.

Unfortunately he finally meets his demise, we now learn, in the events of the the Decent into Avernus 5E Adventure. You come across a crucified Jandar as he is impaled on this iron-tree thing. He says he's sorry for abandoning his company of Hell Riders and that's why he was there. The adventure says that no matter what you do, he dissipates into nothing and is lost. To me, I hate this. I really do because he was a really cool character that deserved better. So if/when I run this adventure, I'll most likely give the PCs the option to "heal" him by freely giving up points from the Hit Die to let him drink from. This restores him, albeit slowly, to his old self and he's allowed to either join with them (and all the issues that come with having a Vampire companion) or he can be dismissed and he returns to Faerûn on his own.

Or you can slay him and then true resurrect him. Or you can cast a Wish spell, or if you're a Cleric a Miracle spell. Soooo many ways to keep him in the world as you want it.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  03:08:48  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The small problem being that the adventure is from levels 1-13, and in character, the pcs would have no idea who he is.

It is a good idea for a side quest for a cleric of Lathander or Velsharoon. Playing as a Lathanderite, you receive a vision of Janders ashes being scattered in a temple and his mortal spirit being freed, as a Velsharan, your god sends you a vision of a blank eyed elf vampire standing alone in a crypt, the crowned skull seared upon his chest like a brand.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  03:54:28  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is STUPID.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  04:37:23  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

That is STUPID.

I agree, 100% Hence why I'd give my players the opportunity to save him. While I don't know if full redemption is possible with the way be could be saved here, it certainly is something that i wouldn't say is impossible down the road.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  05:11:45  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The small problem being that the adventure is from levels 1-13, and in character, the pcs would have no idea who he is.

It is a good idea for a side quest for a cleric of Lathander or Velsharoon. Playing as a Lathanderite, you receive a vision of Janders ashes being scattered in a temple and his mortal spirit being freed, as a Velsharan, your god sends you a vision of a blank eyed elf vampire standing alone in a crypt, the crowned skull seared upon his chest like a brand.

Why do you assume the PC's have no clue? LMAO! Like really? So from level 1 to 13 they are blind and deaf and clueless? I'd hate to play a PC in your game. Sounds like you just roll and die. No questions asked.

By-passing the insane, single-minded approach LOB just gave you... The PC's would TOTALLY know who he is. Any bard in any tavern could sing you that tune. For F's sake. We're dealing with amateurs here.

Nostrovia.

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  05:31:47  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jander Sunstar would not exactly be a household name. In universe, whoever who knew of him would definitely treat him with contempt, since 5e establishes that he abandoned Zariel to Baator, then tried to commit suicide.

And failed.

Again.

Evidently, the universe exists to make Jander's life miserable.

Edited by - LordofBones on 21 Apr 2020 05:32:36
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  05:55:22  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jander Sunstar would not exactly be a household name. In universe, whoever who knew of him would definitely treat him with contempt, since 5e establishes that he abandoned Zariel to Baator, then tried to commit suicide.

And failed.

Again.

Evidently, the universe exists to make Jander's life miserable.

Any 13'th level bard would know this.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  06:23:18  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So if they know that, why would they want to resurrect him?

Also, assuming they have a Bard in the party.

It's a terrible death but 5e turned him into a fear struck coward that caused an angel to become one of the Lords of the Nine. Leaving him dead is a mercy.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  08:13:41  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I may continue the Jander Sunstar tangent, how in the Nine Hells (pun intentional) did Jander leave the Demiplane of Dread in the first place? Second, given that he returned to Faerun, what inspired the crusade of holy warriors to allow a vampire to join a crusade into the Nine Hells? Jander's mundane disguises I think would not fool the veteran clerics and paladins. Even Vampshoon could not fool Mirt in the least. Third, wasn't he more interested in restoring himself as a living elf and killing other vampires in the meantime?

Going by Occam's Razor, I don't go for the Jander cameo. It smacks of name-dropping for the sake of name-dropping.

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  08:39:09  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chronologically Zariel should have been a Lord of the Nine longer than what 5e allowed, so it's basically the dev team throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks.

Jander, Zariel, Mordenkainen et all are just the poor sods stuck with the fallout.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  11:11:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If I may continue the Jander Sunstar tangent, how in the Nine Hells (pun intentional) did Jander leave the Demiplane of Dread in the first place? Second, given that he returned to Faerun, what inspired the crusade of holy warriors to allow a vampire to join a crusade into the Nine Hells? Jander's mundane disguises I think would not fool the veteran clerics and paladins. Even Vampshoon could not fool Mirt in the least. Third, wasn't he more interested in restoring himself as a living elf and killing other vampires in the meantime?

Going by Occam's Razor, I don't go for the Jander cameo. It smacks of name-dropping for the sake of name-dropping.

All this. If I was to run this adventure, I'd totally leave out the Jander part, too, because of all the reasons you cite.

It's like what they did with Ras Nsi in the Chult book -- "Hey, let's take something from prior lore, bind, spindle, and mutilate it, and then include it here!"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  12:51:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If I may continue the Jander Sunstar tangent, how in the Nine Hells (pun intentional) did Jander leave the Demiplane of Dread in the first place?

In Canon, the ending of Vampire of the Mists is left vague and from what I remember, he somehow does survive the final moments of the book. Theory goes he was pulled from the demiplane before Ravenlofts sun destroyed him. Also, magic? We're talking about worlds where they teem with magic and mystery.

quote:

Second, given that he returned to Faerun, what inspired the crusade of holy warriors to allow a vampire to join a crusade into the Nine Hells? Jander's mundane disguises I think would not fool the veteran clerics and paladins. Even Vampshoon could not fool Mirt in the least.

The Adventure goes on to say: "This elf warrior, cursed to an eternity of undeath, tried to redeem his corrupted soul by swearing to hunt down his own kind. Later, he volunteered to join Zariel on her crusade
into the Nine Hells."

So it's likely they knew what he was when he joined up, especially with Zariel still am angel before her fall. As for the time frame, I'm not sure when the events of her going to Avernus with the adventures happened in Realms Canon?

quote:

Third, wasn't he more interested in restoring himself as a living elf and killing other vampires in the meantime?

That is mentioned yes, though I don't know how many vampires are lurking in the Nine Hells? Not many, if at all, I would assume. Perhaps he took on the quest to help redeem his soul and look good in the eyes of a Solar?

quote:

Yeah, I don't get why they used him here? Especially for none other than just a small reference and finalization of a long standing character? It does seem like they knew he was a name that would tie this into the Realms (however outlandishly) and that was somehow good?

I feel he deserved better
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  14:37:57  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Diffan for addressing my questions. I assumed Jander would hunt vampires in Faerun, not the Nine Hells. He indeed certainly deserved better.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000