Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 3d model - Shou Dragonship Reimagined
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2020 :  03:29:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was having fun with creating creatures, but I decided I wanted to try and create a spelljamming vessel for use in a picture. It doesn't exactly match the original (its fairly different, but the concept is roughly similar). Again, I'm a novice, but I remixed this from a toy dragon puppet and some ship components. It was a little harder than I thought, but I think its not bad for a first try. I painted it in Paint3d

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4204326

Now that I've had a chance to mess with this, I may try to do a Halruaan Skyship with turtle shells on the hull. I think that one I'll be able to match more exactly to the description. If that one comes out good, I may actually print it in 3d as a mini that I can put characters on for display.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2020 :  11:12:48  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems very good! Unfortunately, I can only see the 2nd picture (the one from behind), for the first is not opening.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2020 :  20:34:41  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

Any chance you could reload that 1st picture, I cannot see it either?

So, that basically is a Shou airship, sort of in the vein of a Halruaan airship?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I was having fun with creating creatures, but I decided I wanted to try and create a spelljamming vessel for use in a picture. It doesn't exactly match the original (its fairly different, but the concept is roughly similar). Again, I'm a novice, but I remixed this from a toy dragon puppet and some ship components. It was a little harder than I thought, but I think its not bad for a first try. I painted it in Paint3d

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4204326

Now that I've had a chance to mess with this, I may try to do a Halruaan Skyship with turtle shells on the hull. I think that one I'll be able to match more exactly to the description. If that one comes out good, I may actually print it in 3d as a mini that I can put characters on for display.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2020 :  02:24:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, oddly, it doesn't show up for me either unless I click it and then click show original, and I've now tried to change it to a smaller picture, a jpeg instead of png, and a few other things.

Its a spelljamming vessel. The Shou had the Shou Dragonship and I started out just trying to recreate one, and it got a little hard to duplicate what was shown in a 2d picture into 3d, so I "reimagined it".

The Halruaan Airship though would be slower, less agile, not able to leave the atmosphere, etc.... I also think that one will be easier to recreate. I already found someone who started something like similar models but simpler, so I think I could throw something together between different people's creations. I need to hunt down turtle shells though.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2020 :  02:36:55  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

I tried to do what you said, and it still isn't working. Post back if you would though when you have it working again. I'd really like to see it.

I like the different approach to effectively classifying it. I honestly like the idea more than the Halruaan airship.

Best regards,

quote:

Yeah, oddly, it doesn't show up for me either unless I click it and then click show original, and I've now tried to change it to a smaller picture, a jpeg instead of png, and a few other things.

Its a spelljamming vessel. The Shou had the Shou Dragonship and I started out just trying to recreate one, and it got a little hard to duplicate what was shown in a 2d picture into 3d, so I "reimagined it".

The Halruaan Airship though would be slower, less agile, not able to leave the atmosphere, etc.... I also think that one will be easier to recreate. I already found someone who started something like similar models but simpler, so I think I could throw something together between different people's creations. I need to hunt down turtle shells though.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2020 :  02:40:05  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Spelljammer was so absurd but so good. If I am remembering correctly, there was an Illithid spelljammer that looked like a nautilus; that would probably look really cool drawn in 3d.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerűn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerűn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2020 :  02:57:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Spelljammer was so absurd but so good. If I am remembering correctly, there was an Illithid spelljammer that looked like a nautilus; that would probably look really cool drawn in 3d.

Hmmm, if I could find someone's already created shell that might not be to hard to make. Worth considering.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2020 :  02:58:04  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Lord Karsus,

Isn't that Illithid Spelljammer the one seen in the BG3 trailer?

Best regards,

quote:

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2020 :  03:52:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You are correct; it was the Nautiloid.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2020 :  08:11:39  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Nice! With my significant dearth of knowledge on Spelljammer, I am surprised I got that right. It is an amazing ship to look at I have to say. Very cool, especially with the teleporting.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

You are correct; it was the Nautiloid.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2020 :  11:57:01  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(...)

Checked it out today and it worked, nicely done!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2020 :  15:55:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I didn't do the Halruaan skyship next, because I just got oddly sidetracked doing a wa tsunami just to see how hard it would be (answer, a lot more than I thought and the model is huge). However, in doing it, I needed to make the locust, which it carries 36 of them like an aircraft carrier. That one is a lot smaller and simpler.

Wa Locust Reimagined
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4234689

My summary I think adds a little bit to them, as I discuss giant bamboo and the idea that Wa was possibly considering colonizing other crystal spheres (or possibly other portions of realmspace). Granted they weren't a big country, but I think its not unbelievable that they might not have a colony or three of say 10 thousand people or so centered around a tsunami or two that carried them there over multiple trips.

The Locust is a small manned vessel. Ostensibly, it has 2 to 3 personnel to run the ship, a pilot and one to run the forward facing ballista or rear facing catapults. The rear facing catapults are articulated like locust legs to move forward for reloading via an underside hatch and the shot loaded is encased in iron so that it will stay in the catapult while the ship maneuvers. The pilot of a locust does not control a spelljamming helm, but rather uses a simple rudder of propulsion to direct this suicide machine. The locust is hardly ever seen alone and is normally found aboard a Tsunami carrier vessel from the Torilian nation state of Wa. Said vessel normally carries 36 locusts. Locusts are made from balsa wood and a lightweight giant bamboo material grown in Wa, and it is said that Wa has sought to grow this plant in other crystal spheres as a means for setting up remote spelljamming bases. As a result, locusts are extremely maneuvable and hard to hit, but when they are hit, they are almost universally destroyed. As a result, some wounded pilots of these vessels have been known to be suicidal to the point of driving them into other spelljamming vessels while loaded down with barrels of smokepowder and/or containers of greek fire to great pyrotechnic effect.

Also, here's the tsunami that I'm still mucking with trying to get the size smaller so that I can paint it easier. I also realized I forgot the fins/sails, and so I want to add them to make it look more fantastical
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4232440

Oh, and I'm picturing a "rudder of propulsion" being able to work similar to a broom of flying if taken from a ship. The two may be based on the same magics, but with the rudder simply able to manage higher weight maximums. I'm also picturing a tsunami as possibly having personnel with brooms of flying as well flying about with alchemists fire, smokepowder weapons, and crossbows.... because in 5e, brooms of flying are uncommon magic items and therefore cheap enough that a crew might have a number of these for zipping around the vessel to stop boarding parties, deliver materials, pickup hurt crew, etc....

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2020 :  17:04:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, looking more into spelljammer and the forgotten realms in particular, and I'm increasingly noting how Toril was basically trying to develop (successfully to a degree) non-Arcane created helms requiring magic items in order to traverse wildspace. In other words, they were trying (perhaps not knowingly) to break the Arcane's monopoly. I say this because Wa developed the rudders of propulsion and Thay developed the Grand Helm. Granted rudders won't enable someone to leave a planet's gravity well and the Grand Helms can't traverse the phlogiston, so they didn't have a solution exactly. But they did both have the ability to work within wildspace within a crystal sphere (granted, if you were using a rudder with a small ship, you better provide something to give your own air or the need to not breathe).

This makes me wonder if there's anything definitively canon that might force someone to say that Ki Helms (which rely on someone possessing Ki abilities) and Radiant Helms (which utilize the radiation of Faerzress) are specifically created by the Arcane? All of these are mentioned in the war captain's companion, but I'm not sure if that's the original source for them all. To note, Ki Helms and Grand Helms are very similar in that they work through the collective power of multiple individuals. For instance, I could see the Emperor of Wa becoming upset that his ships were being taken and used by outsiders, and thus since Ki abilities are less common than general magic, perhaps he ordered the development of non-Arcane helms (to note, its the Wa Tsunami that has a Ki helm and not a shou dragonship, and its the Wa locust that uses rudders of propulsion). If this were true, it might mean that the Arcane were on a path which might lead them to conflict with many cultures of Realmspace (i.e. the arcane would be left dealing with the illithids of Glyth, the beholders of H'Catha, the lizard folk and aarakocra of Coliar, the elves throughout, the Shou, and various other human groups for the most part). Also as an aside, this REALLY is making me interested in the country of Wa (which I know is modeled on Japan and its shogun, but haven't delved it deeply).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2020 :  17:42:45  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

Do you have another URL to that ship? I got the 404 Lich.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2020 :  19:21:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

By the way, looking more into spelljammer and the forgotten realms in particular, and I'm increasingly noting how Toril was basically trying to develop (successfully to a degree) non-Arcane created helms requiring magic items in order to traverse wildspace. In other words, they were trying (perhaps not knowingly) to break the Arcane's monopoly. I say this because Wa developed the rudders of propulsion and Thay developed the Grand Helm. Granted rudders won't enable someone to leave a planet's gravity well and the Grand Helms can't traverse the phlogiston, so they didn't have a solution exactly. But they did both have the ability to work within wildspace within a crystal sphere (granted, if you were using a rudder with a small ship, you better provide something to give your own air or the need to not breathe).

I don't think it had anything to do with the Arcane and their monopoly on helms -- I think in both cases, it was not wanting to rely on any outside sources. Wa was too paranoid to use anything anyone else came up with; they would have done their own thing even if entirely ignorant of the Arcane. And Thayans are all about doing their own thing with magic -- so why bother with someone else as a supplier when they can do it themselves?

I think if Spelljammer had been supported longer, we would have seen a lot of other variations on these home-grown helms, and that a lot of them would have been developed by people/nations not knowing there was an established alternative available.

In the crystal sphere I thought up, there was a spelljamming nation that discovered spelljamming by accident and used it to build a world-wide empire, and only after that did they venture out into space. It was only when they found a wrecked ship on their moon that they realized there were methods aside from their own home-built helms.

The helms developed by this nation functioned like regular spelljamming helms except for a couple of things: they could be used in series, but they couldn't reach interplanetary speeds. So they could make a 200 ton spelljammer, but it would only move at tactical speeds.

In my rethinking of spelljamming helms, I decided that a true spelljamming helm -- one of the major or minor ones provided by the Arcane -- requires a certain component in its manufacture. And the Arcane control the only location(s) where this component exists, giving them their monopoly.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2020 :  19:48:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't think it had anything to do with the Arcane and their monopoly on helms -- I think in both cases, it was not wanting to rely on any outside sources. Wa was too paranoid to use anything anyone else came up with; they would have done their own thing even if entirely ignorant of the Arcane. And Thayans are all about doing their own thing with magic -- so why bother with someone else as a supplier when they can do it themselves?

I think if Spelljammer had been supported longer, we would have seen a lot of other variations on these home-grown helms, and that a lot of them would have been developed by people/nations not knowing there was an established alternative available.

In the crystal sphere I thought up, there was a spelljamming nation that discovered spelljamming by accident and used it to build a world-wide empire, and only after that did they venture out into space. It was only when they found a wrecked ship on their moon that they realized there were methods aside from their own home-built helms.

The helms developed by this nation functioned like regular spelljamming helms except for a couple of things: they could be used in series, but they couldn't reach interplanetary speeds. So they could make a 200 ton spelljammer, but it would only move at tactical speeds.

In my rethinking of spelljamming helms, I decided that a true spelljamming helm -- one of the major or minor ones provided by the Arcane -- requires a certain component in its manufacture. And the Arcane control the only location(s) where this component exists, giving them their monopoly.

Thanks Wooly, I was hoping there wasn't something limiting the idea.. and the description of Wa seems spot on. I'm actually thinking that if Wa and some red wizards found themselves in Abeir together, racial/country differences may fall to the side in favor of working against the inhabitants of Abeir. They both are somewhat paranoid and driven to gain power. I kind of like Mulan / Wa crossbreeding occurring too.

On the idea of the arcane "possessing some special component"... I like that too. It makes me think that … maybe Anubis doesn't like them much and they've got some dead god's corpse with powers of travel or the stars or night or the moon or somesuch and they're mining it for material. Does that work?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2020 :  19:54:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great Reader sleyvas,

Do you have another URL to that ship? I got the 404 Lich.

Best regards,

Man thingiverse has been acting up the last few days. Their screen layout changed this week and I'm now having problems adding models with searching their own database to link things. Now this.

This one's the tsunami and it worked in firefox, but IE gave me issues
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4232440

This one's the locust, same browser issues
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4234689

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2020 :  03:34:13  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

Damn, that is cool man! I really like that! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2020 :  04:16:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On the idea of the arcane "possessing some special component"... I like that too. It makes me think that … maybe Anubis doesn't like them much and they've got some dead god's corpse with powers of travel or the stars or night or the moon or somesuch and they're mining it for material. Does that work?

I was thinking more like some naturally occurring mineral that could act as a magic receptacle.

There's no reason it can't be the corpse of a dead deity, but I prefer something simpler.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2020 :  21:51:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I was thinking more like some naturally occurring mineral that could act as a magic receptacle.

There's no reason it can't be the corpse of a dead deity, but I prefer something simpler.

Dead deity or dead primordial also both work actually. The more I see between the two, the more I think how similar they are. I know there's several instances of strange metals being mined from the bodies of primordials (felliron from Telos, Aramabarium from the primordial Arambar). I get though that you might want something more "normal" like a special metal like adamantine (but not adamantine) or some alchemical powder or even the blood of some weird creature or somesuch.

You know, I wonder if faerzress is related somehow to the bodies of powerful beings that died. I know supposedly it was created in relation to the descent or something per one accounting (truth of said matter open to speculation). However, I could see it being portions of the body of Ssharstrune, hidden by Parrafaire after his birth from Shekinester and Jazirian…. or in another culture, hidden by Qotal after his birth from Maztica and Kukul…. or in another culture, hidden by Ubtao and it being some powerful snake entity (take your pick)…. and lord only knows how to spin it involving Selune, Mystryl, Shar, and Mystryl maybe hiding things that were leftover from the Mystryl creation...

or that its all related to the Tearfall and the meteors that crashed into the surface tore through, creating the underdark and all its tunnels, and Faerzress is radiation from the ice moon/crystal sun that was shattered.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 22 Mar 2020 22:40:38
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2020 :  21:54:14  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Hizagkuur would be a really great metal for that.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2020 :  02:56:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dead deity or dead primordial also both work actually. The more I see between the two, the more I think how similar they are. I know there's several instances of strange metals being mined from the bodies of primordials (felliron from Telos, Aramabarium from the primordial Arambar). I get though that you might want something more "normal" like a special metal like adamantine (but not adamantine) or some alchemical powder or even the blood of some weird creature or somesuch.

You know, I wonder if faerzress is related somehow to the bodies of powerful beings that died. I know supposedly it was created in relation to the descent or something per one accounting (truth of said matter open to speculation). However, I could see it being portions of the body of Ssharstrune, hidden by Parrafaire after his birth from Shekinester and Jazirian…. or in another culture, hidden by Qotal after his birth from Maztica and Kukul…. or in another culture, hidden by Ubtao and it being some powerful snake entity (take your pick)…. and lord only knows how to spin it involving Selune, Mystryl, Shar, and Mystryl maybe hiding things that were leftover from the Mystryl creation...

or that its all related to the Tearfall and the meteors that crashed into the surface tore through, creating the underdark and all its tunnels, and Faerzress is radiation from the ice moon/crystal sun that was shattered.

I personally favor the idea that it's some sort of crystal found only in asteroids. I think there's some sphere that only the arcane know of, with few if any planets but many, many asteroids -- and those asteroids are the source of those crystals that go into the helms.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2020 :  04:07:57  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Well, I have to say I am fresh out of Realms ideas for crystals found on asteroids, haha.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000