Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Baldur's Gate Duke title question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2020 :  18:15:10  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does the title follow the gender naming conventions in BG? So a female Duke would be a Duchess? A use in this Reddit thread said that they were all Dukes so it got me curious about the reasoning behind this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/fnn1rp/how_descent_into_avernus_connects_to_baldurs_gate/

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2020 :  18:20:46  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Caolin,

It looks like they are using a single title convention for that position, and it will be Duke for everyone.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2020 :  21:42:41  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Senior Scribe Caolin,

It looks like they are using a single title convention for that position, and it will be Duke for everyone.

Best regards,

Thanks for the response.

I guess I should have been a little more clear what kind of answer I was looking for. I'm kind of curious as to the lore behind this title. Is there some real world example of this "single title convention"? I've never seen it used like this before.

Edited by - Caolin on 23 Mar 2020 21:43:17
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2020 :  22:40:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well looking at your question an answer I can offer is from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke

quote:
A duke (male) can either be a monarch ranked below the emperor, king, and grand duke ruling over a duchy or a member of royalty or nobility, historically of highest rank, below princes of nobility and grand dukes. The title comes from French duc, itself from the Latin dux, 'leader', a term used in republican Rome to refer to a military commander without an official rank (particularly one of Germanic or Celtic origin), and later coming to mean the leading military commander of a province. In most countries, the word duchess is the female equivalent. However, in some countries (such as the UK), the term duke is used even for females, and the word duchess is reserved for those who marry dukes.

Thus it appears that in the UK you can find a male duchess ad a female Duke.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2020 :  23:04:42  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Caolin,

A Duke in Baldur's Gate is one of the four members of the Council of Four (clever, I know). There is no known differentiation between men and women in how the title is stated. You are a duke.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000