Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Example Spellscars
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2020 :  07:48:23  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
For all their prominence in the lore, I feel like we never saw very many actually portrayed in any degree of detail. What have you seen in novels, used at your table, or just come up with on your own?

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2020 :  14:43:25  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From memory only, I remember:

Aoth Fezim's, that takes the shape of glowing blue-flamed eyes. He gained true-sight and often prophetic visions, and also an extended life-span (however, he doesn't know if he is actually immortal or just ages very slowly).

Raidon Kane's, that takes the shape of a Cerulean Sign tattoed on his breast, and that's actually his former implement fused with him. He gained all the powers of the Sign.

There is Kalen Dren's, whose spellscars numbs his body, and he is unable to feel any sensation.

There is Clytemorrenestrix, a former blue-dragon who was turned human by the Spellplague. Her spellscar is her human body.

There is also Seldra Tylmarande (granddaughter of Aribeth de Tylmarande), whose spellscar allows her to control plaguechanged creatures in her vicinity.

I also remember an spellscarred NPC who basically had an aura that disrupt divination and scrying magic, and so she is usually hired by people who wants to maintain their private talks... well, private.

There are some spellscars that have no powers at all, and are only magical scars. Such as the "tattoos" Catti-Brie has.

Then you have the plaguechanged creatures, but those spellscars are huge mutations that turn their victims into monsters.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2020 :  18:54:18  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, there was Kara Hullmaster who had a spellscar. Something about her leg that would flare up blue fire though I'm not sure if it was a deterrent to her physical capabilities or if it has some effect she could use. She was detailed in the Blades of the Moonsea trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2020 :  19:04:11  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

There is also Seldra Tylmarande (granddaughter of Aribeth de Tylmarande), whose spellscar allows her to control plaguechanged creatures in her vicinity.

Now I've got to learn where this character comes from! I did Lady Aribeth de Tylmarande using 4E stats and wanted to include her on some adventures in the few decades following 1385 DR, but I didn't know she had kids (which is awesome!)
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2020 :  21:19:21  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Without too much spoiler, she is an important NPC in Gates of Neverdeath and Lost Crown of Neverwinter, two companion adventures to the Neverwinter Campaign Setting.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2020 :  22:27:36  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Without too much spoiler, she is an important NPC in Gates of Neverdeath and Lost Crown of Neverwinter, two companion adventures to the Neverwinter Campaign Setting.

I was going to say, I have the Neverwinter Campaign Setting book and I don't recall seeing the character in there. I'll have to get those adventures for sure!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2020 :  04:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two other example Spellscars, both from the same works as Kalen Dren (though his insensitivity to pain is a pre-existing condition--essentially he has CIPA--the spellscar just heightens it):

Myrin Darkdance: blue glowing arcane runes that light up along her body; she absorbs magic and sometimes memories from people she touches and can use the magic herself, if she's powerful enough to wield it, otherwise it goes wild. I call this ability "Magic Osmosis."

Ilira Nathalan (formerly known as the Fox-at-Twilight): deathtouch, as in she inflicts necrotic damage as though casting an inflict wounds spell on any living thing she touches with her bare skin, causing it to wither and unravel. Does affect cut flowers and tree branches, does *not* affect undead creatures and certain rare individuals who are naturally immune to it.

Each of those is based around a classic D&D spell, those being Stoneskin, Spell Turning, and Inflict Wounds respectively, but not all spellscar have to correspond to an existing sort of magic.

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

I was going to say, I have the Neverwinter Campaign Setting book and I don't recall seeing the character in there. I'll have to get those adventures for sure!

I wrote those adventures, and can confirm. Said character also has an optional cameo in STORM OVER NEVERWINTER, if she survived her previous appearances.

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2020 :  07:26:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well looks like I'm buying more 4e stuff, lol.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2020 :  08:00:24  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’m really enjoying the idea of Spellscar-as-specific spell literally bound into you and gone a little feral.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2020 :  14:30:04  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Each of those is based around a classic D&D spell, those being Stoneskin, Spell Turning, and Inflict Wounds respectively, but not all spellscar have to correspond to an existing sort of magic.

Interesting. This is a good rule of thumb to convert the spellscar mechanics to 5e (or 3.x, for the matter).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000