Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Guys, what do you think about the concept of spell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HarrisonGavin
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2020 :  11:18:23  Show Profile Send HarrisonGavin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The idea that every stellar system is surrounded by a crystal shell is bad... It makes D&D incompatible with other forms of space travel, because if you try to leave your star system, you'll eventually vaporize your vessel when you hit the shell. It also invalidates the whole scientific fields of astrophysics and astronomy. Basic example, if a crystal shell is twice the size of the stellar system, what happens when its star goes supernova? Well, we know it ejects mass and energy many, many orders of magnitude farther than it's system. Are all the stars illusions painted on the crystal shell that trick us into believing they are in fact other suns, some of them with all signs indicating other worlds around them. Is it just a trick by Lord Ao's boss?

Now, I've made my position clear about what I think of traditional spelljamming, but can we reconcile it with observable science? What if each material plane is a universe on its own? Toril's just happen to be a tiny one (and all it's stars are fake), but ours here on Earth is actually much bigger. What if the expansion of our crystal shell is what stretches space and makes the universe grow bigger in an accelerating rate. Space is glued to the crystal shell, and as it grows, so does space. Our crystal shell is the elusive dark energy. Probably tiny crystal shells like Toril's are an exception (I hope for the sake of making the cosmology less dumb)

So far, so good.

Mod edit: Removed hyperlinks

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Jan 2020 04:34:32

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2020 :  11:30:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I took my concept from hints in various sourcebooks that there was a previous universe before the multi verse, and merging it somewhat with the tear fall idea that twinned abeir toril to produce abeir and toril.

So the universe (as found in the basic, companion, expert, master, and immortal boxed sets) was destroyed by chaos.

In its wake the universe was split into the multiverse, which contained at least two smaller self contained and limited universes that they began to diverge.

As each "sphere" suffered a cataclysm, then that sphere was twinned and the multi verse became filled with similar and dissimilar spheres which are each miniature and imperfect copies of the original.

So a sphere is filled with space as it is in our universe, but beyond the borders of the sphere is nothingness, a gap between universes. This gap corresponds to the gap between planes and is actually the ethereal plane (call it the border ethereal for this extreme of that plane).

That's my take anyway. It allows me to create multiple copies of the same planets but make them subtly different and link them all together using the physics of d&d and our own real world (we havent reached the edge of our own sphere - which is huge - so cannot guess what lies beyond it).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2020 :  14:00:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The stars are on the crystal sphere. They are portals to the plane of radiance. Its noted in realmspace. The idea that the star would ever need to go supernova is an entirely science driven concept. The general idea is that the sun isn't what our stars are. Its an object with links to the elemental plane of fire.

Crystals sphere grow over time, so older ones are bigger.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 12 Jan 2020 14:03:42
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2020 :  14:39:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are portals through the crystal spheres. So you'd only vaporize your ship if you deliberately tried to.

The idea of physically isolating each solar system was necessary, since there are issues like Krynn's disappearing constellations.

Besides, when we have giant flying lizards that spit fire, and when it's possible to throw lighting or move yourself and your companions to another point, instantaneously, all by wiggling your fingers and mumbling some words, are we really going to sweat space travel being different?

If you don't like Spelljammer, then just keep your PCs on the ground.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Jan 2020 14:41:52
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2020 :  17:28:04  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can ignore Spelljammer if you like.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2020 :  18:48:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some people like open yards, perhaps covered in pavement, perhaps landscaped and gardened, perhaps just left to wild nature.

And some people like to fully enclose their property within privacy barriers. They can paint stars (or whatever) on their fence surfaces in any pattern they like.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2020 :  01:56:19  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HarrisonGavin

The idea that every stellar system is surrounded by a crystal shell is bad... It makes D&D incompatible with other forms of space travel, because if you try to leave your star system, you'll eventually vaporize your vessel when you hit the shell.

There's just enough of space travel.
quote:
It also invalidates the whole scientific fields of astrophysics and astronomy.

Realms don't have astrophysics, obviously. As to astronomy, it's thriving due to being quite useful. For timing and navigation. Occasionally for magical purpose.
quote:
Are all the stars illusions painted on the crystal shell that trick us into believing they are in fact other suns, some of them with all signs indicating other worlds around them.

Of course not. Read some sages specializing on this matter.
Depending on the sphere, stars can be things like giant shining crystals, small portals to the plane of Radiance, windows to the outside (conical to collect light, maybe? The Flow isn't very bright), statues with torches, or giant glowing beetles crawling on the sphere surface.
quote:
Now, I've made my position clear about what I think of traditional spelljamming, but can we reconcile it with observable science?

Of course it's all observable and repeatable. Spelljammers use star maps for navigation, after all.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 14 Jan 2020 02:59:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2020 :  04:35:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The idea that every stellar system is surrounded by a crystal shell is bad... It makes D&D incompatible with other forms of space travel, because if you try to leave your star system, you'll eventually vaporize your vessel when you hit the shell. It also invalidates the whole scientific fields of astrophysics and astronomy. Basic example, if a crystal shell is twice the size of the stellar system, what happens when its star goes supernova? Well, we know it ejects mass and energy many, many orders of magnitude farther than it's system. Are all the stars illusions painted on the crystal shell that trick us into believing they are in fact other suns, some of them with all signs indicating other worlds around them. Is it just a trick by Lord Ao's boss?

Now, I've made my position clear about what I think of traditional spelljamming, but can we reconcile it with observable science? What if each material plane is a universe on its own? Toril's just happen to be a tiny one (and all it's stars are fake), but ours here on Earth is actually much bigger. What if the expansion of our crystal shell is what stretches space and makes the universe grow bigger in an accelerating rate. Space is glued to the crystal shell, and as it grows, so does space. Our crystal shell is the elusive dark energy. Probably tiny crystal shells like Toril's are an exception (I hope for the sake of making the cosmology less dumb)

So far, so good.

I've gone back and removed those odd hyperlinks that were added after the fact. Given those hyperlinks, it looks like either your account was hacked or you're a spammer.

Post those links again and I'm going to assume you're just here to spam us.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Jan 2020 04:36:26
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2020 :  02:54:10  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So far, so good.

In Greyhawks Crystal Sphere the sun literally revovles around Oerth, not the other way around like in Realmspace.

Plus FRs first sun got eatten by Dendar, which is destined to happen to the second sun eventually.

So I don't think they are worried about suns going supernova or astrophysics, this is the D&D multiverse, not Star Trek, or the upcoming D&D 5e version of Stargate that us going this year.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2020 :  04:44:45  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One way to handle it is this:

Crystal Spheres exist only as transparent spheres of energy. Once a Spelljammer reaches it the ship can go into the Phlogiston.

That would make it possible to have stars too and allow for space ships if you want them.

EDIT: after all, we know there are non-Spelljammer spaceships in the universe

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 14 Jan 2020 05:19:26
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000