Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Warlocks, Charisma and their Growth
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Garrote
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2019 :  22:04:00  Show Profile Send Garrote a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello!

I’m looking into Warlock lore for an upcoming game and I’m not clear on some of the details about the warlock class with respect to how they gain power and level up.

Is each new ability passed on to the warlock via the pact or are they essentially given the keys to a great and powerful font of magic that they then have to delve into themselves to pull greater power from, perhaps with continued tutelage from their greater pact holder or through their own preternatural will.

I find the later more compelling and more in line with how Charisma could influence a character who is very willful and determined.

I gather there is a lot of open open endedness with the class so I wanted to hear others thoughts.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2019 :  22:10:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm weak on warlocks (the class does not appeal to me), but I would expect it to depend on the warlock's patron. Some patrons, I would think, would be very hands-on, trying to extract further concessions or get favors or something before granting new abilities, while others would be "if you can figure out how to do it, have fun!"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2019 :  08:32:39  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garrote

Hello!

I’m looking into Warlock lore for an upcoming game and I’m not clear on some of the details about the warlock class with respect to how they gain power and level up.

I'm going to assume the game in question is 5th Edition?

quote:

Is each new ability passed on to the warlock via the pact or are they essentially given the keys to a great and powerful font of magic that they then have to delve into themselves to pull greater power from, perhaps with continued tutelage from their greater pact holder or through their own preternatural will.

It's sort of left ambiguous to allow each player to determine how they want their power to grow, in accordance with their pact. At least, that's how I'd play it. Think about other classes, the Sorcerer for example unlocks power deep within their natures as no one is really "teaching" them new stuff. As they're similar in casting (both use Charisma) I'd say is also impart due to their personal magnetism that unlocks the potential too. It certainly could be a combination of personal growth with nudging from their Patron - maybe in a series of dreams or signs or visions they receive too?

quote:

I find the later more compelling and more in line with how Charisma could influence a character who is very willful and determined.

I gather there is a lot of open open endedness with the class so I wanted to hear others thoughts.

I think exploring the patron of the pact, maybe researching who/what they are and possibly any lore into their dealings with the mortal Realm and then collaborate these ideas with your DM. Maybe a side-quest is in order, or maybe it'll give the DM some ideas on how to incorporate your backstory, pact, and patron more into the current adventure or further down the road?
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2019 :  14:40:14  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would start with question: how does characters level up in my game?
I personally dislike the idea that you get your level in middle of the dungeon and suddenly you can do new stuff. For my you have to make some effort before you gain some new abilities and it is easier with teacher and you have to have idea about what you want to learn anyway (so you cannot just tumble upon prestige class).
Both of mentioned options are fine as Wooly already said.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2019 :  15:28:53  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Brimstone Angels series (which btw. is a really good read) Farideh got her new powers from her devil from time to time when he thought she was ready for it and/or he used it to convince her to stay with him.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000